IT.COM

new gtlds Rick Schwarz Predicts A "Collapse" Coming (ngTLD's)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will New Extensions Have A Major Collapse

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    67.8%
  • No

votes
    32.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
rs-tweet.png

What do you think? Based on Rick's tweets, I believe he is referring to new gTLDs.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Why .loan has almost 2MM regs? It is such a niche area, there are probably 20 times less companies around the world in the industry and even then they don't use "loan" in their name or identification )

•••
have any extensions failed or become bankrupt?

•••
HeHe

The best time to buy is after a collapse :xf.wink:

•••
has anybody studied the real data? I am working on something right now that will speak for itself as far as ranked websites in the top 1/2 million.

PM if you are a blog or stats guy, that is interested in collaborating before I do.

•••
Show attachment 60612

What do you think? Based on Rick's tweets, I believe he is referring to new gTLDs.

Domains are digital addresses as are usernames etc

Domains eg. Com etc or the original domains have to compete with gtlds and emoji domains and socialmedia usernames / profile names etc

All these different types of domain names and usernames are all competing with other to become a business's method of communication with its customers etc

The simple parameters are that a business will either invest significant time and effort in buying And developing a domain and subsequent website then spend money trying to get that website noticed by that companies customers etc

Or they can simply create a socialmedia profile for free on a huge free website that has close to 2billion users globally which has no need for contact forms etc or domain names etc

•••
Domains will become useless, because in future our brains are connected to a computer-headset-microchip and we don't type or think on an URL to visit a website (if it is then still a website), but we just think on it and then the futuristic device connected to our brains "opens" the information/website.

Maybe or maybe not. :)

•••
has anybody studied the real data? I am working on something right now that will speak for itself as far as ranked websites in the top 1/2 million.

PM if you are a blog or stats guy, that is interested in collaborating before I do.

Are you talking about ranked websites, ala Alexa?

Went thru that recently -

https://www.namepros.com/threads/everyone-saying-to-not-invest-in-gtld.1018888/page-11#post-6171586

If you're a new gtld fan, ranked websites in Alexa is not a way you want to try to promote these. I would try to hide it, not a good look.

Last edited:
•••
.web can save this if it'd just release quick and relatively cheap.

•••
Domain name investors may sell domain names on a day trading basis eg like forex etc eg holding no stock but they would have capital to buy a domain eg like brokers where a business contacts them for a domain they then acquire the domain that day by lunch time and sell the domain to the business that wanted it the broker makes a profit but ends each day with no stock but still makes a profit each day

Technology moves on without a care for the technology it replaces

How many people still use a telex number?

No?

Because technology moves on

•••
Domains will become useless, because in future our brains are connected to a computer-headset-microchip and we don't type or think on an URL to visit a website (if it is then still a website), but we just think on it and then the futuristic device connected to our brains "opens" the information/website.

Maybe or maybe not. :)
I'm as likely to allow that as I am to buy a self-driving car. :)

•••
Not Alexa. Alexa seems to gamed as I read, also know that first hand watching someone do it. Quancast. Is there any black clouds over their data?
I am not promoting anything but real data and bringing common sense and letting the results speak for themselves.

Last edited:
•••
Not Alexa. quantcast.

Don't know what you're doing but hopefully it's more than posting how many sites are ranked. People do that with Alexa but when you actually take a look at the sites, most are garbage, as demonstrated in the thread I linked to.

•••
So here's the thing...If I'm speaking with a client domain buyer, I would definitely offer options in terms of extension. Some people actually like the options. I might offer a .com and a new gtld.

For me, I don't make predictions. I just do the two things I love to do. Buy domains to sell and buy domains to collect speculating on increased value in the future.

I have to say that there are plenty of domains, regardless of extension, that have little likelihood of selling. But for me, it's all just routine.

I don't judge my fellow domain investors. It's their money and vision, not mine.

I only share my positive energy because I believe that domaining has such a good future.

It's very fascinating reading the opinions. I learn from them. But we domainers are very much similar in that we have a vision. A vision of value in domain names.

Who knows what the future holds. Just do what you do and never stop learning. :)

Last edited:
•••
have any extensions failed or become bankrupt?
.mobi was sold to Afilias, and apparently the financials behind the company weren't good
.tel has lost lots of money: A look at .Tel’s 14 year, £25 million journey

Some TLDs are going to go bankrupt for sure, then there is a rescue and continuity plan. The problem is that there may be no buyer for the failed extension, and then it would eventually be retired.

•••
•••
•••
Don't know what you're doing but hopefully it's more than posting how many sites are ranked. People do that with Alexa but when you actually take a look at the sites, most are garbage, as demonstrated in the thread I linked to.

Yeah, the XYZ extension especially is populated with toxic waste.

•••
I sure wish @Rick Schwartz would weigh in. Sometimes more than 140 characters is good!

•••
Well, who will reg now "weteared.com" ? in my opinion much stronger than "covfefe" :xf.wink:

:ROFL:

•••
•••
gTLDs = the domainer's penny stock, and a new alternative for spammers, scammers, hobbyist developers, amateurs, and a handful of start ups who just might succeed and inevitably pay up for their .Com

The collapse happens when large portfolio holders realize their annual long shot (I mean long term) burden and begin dropping at a rapid rate, and the domaining community's mindset evolves to quit buying it (I mean buying them). It's already happening now.

The "new gtlds" are not "new" anymore, we're approaching 4 years. When do we stop calling them "new", and start calling them a 'failed concept' that didn't meet up to their massive expectations when looking at them collectively.

•••
gTLDs = the domainer's penny stock, and a new alternative for spammers, scammers, hobbyist developers, amateurs, and a handful of start ups who just might succeed and inevitably pay up for their .Com

The collapse happens when large portfolio holders realize their annual long shot (I mean long term) burden and begin dropping at a rapid rate, and the domaining community's mindset evolves to quit buying it (I mean buying them). It's already happening now.

The "new gtlds" are not "new" anymore, we're approaching 4 years. When do we stop calling them "new", and start calling them a 'failed concept' that didn't meet up to their massive expectations when looking at them collectively.
But .Com domains drop too. .Com investors can only drop .Com domains. :)

•••
A real issue is the pricing models for some extensions. In my opinion, the pricing must stabilize. The erratic pricing is a big issue for me. Also the whole premium pricing maze can really hurt too.

To me, those are the reasons I am very careful about investing.

Love the innovation. Love the hustle. Don't love the pricing.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Not really a prediction if it's already happening before your eyes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back