Dynadot

new gtlds Everyone saying to not invest in gTLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Steger13

Established Member
Impact
I was lookong at other gTLD and ccLD to see if i could get any one words L, LL, LLL, LLLL of anything and its all taken! every where in all the gtld and cctld. So why everyone on the interenet sais to not invest in those? Everyone already invested there. I dont get it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
I'll explain it:

endusers are overpaying for worthless .com domain names that they are literally letting them drop like flushing excrement down the drain.

.com is like food.

no matter how expensive you still need to go to the toilet because you know what it turns into

i guess that is why you guys carry around gold paint?

Last edited:
•••
sorry .commie cartel et. al gtg

too busy making money in gtlds

Last edited:
•••
•••
bram, dordomai... you guys really need to stop 69ing each others .com

•••
Just saw interesting slide:

So we have millions of developed ngtlds already?

Does it fit with "no end user adoption, no want, no desire" etc etc etc?

upload_2017-5-25_23-49-25.png

•••
Just saw interesting slide:

So we have millions of developed ngtlds already?

Does it fit with "no end user adoption, no want, no desire" etc etc etc?

Show attachment 59502

"developed" does not mean much.. could be a placeholder site. only low single digit are new tlds in alexa 1 M.

demand is very low if you look at how my domains godaddy has. most are owned by chinese speculators not end-users. you are not getting the facts from an ad.

•••
Don't know where OP saw that all LL or L are taken, there are a lot of available. They are expensive? Yes, but if you want them, you pay.

I have 2 x LL domains.
- ot.school
- ok.bingo

Also have several domains developed on the new gtlds like: motel.tips and so on. I don't have time for all of them, I have about 30 domains on the new g and I want to develop them all before selling, but not just placeholders, with content.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I think the discussion is meaningless, we are domainers, we are here to study domaining and to make money from domains, not to promote .com or any other tlds.

As a domainer since 2005, I do not care about tlds, .com, .net, .mobi, ngtlds....not an issue for me. If I can sell any tld, or can make money from any tlds, I invest there.

- registered some .com names from 2005 and kept for 10 years and dropped most names, lost money.

- registered .mobi names and sold for big profit, I got money, but my buyers lost money!

- registered .xyz names for $1-2/each, sold for huge profit $$$$$$ (I don't prefer to use xyz for any of my sites, but there are other people who like xyz names, eg. Chinese. If my thinking was like..., "I don't like xyz and I will not register any xyz",... some smart domainers should have registered those names and made money by selling to Chinese

- registered 1000s of 5L.com, 4L.biz, 4L.org, some cctlds ....lost big money

Most of us should agree. com is the best, no doubt. There is only 1 name under .com for a word and can be owned by a single company. But there are 1000s of other companies in the world with the same business. example, usedcars...com/net/.co.uk/.net...etc already taken and not possible to buy for cheap.
So, other companies have to move to other tlds. If the company is in India, .in is the best, if the company is in Canada, .ca is best for them. If it is an International company, they should use .com or used.cars or generic tlds like xyz/biz/mobi...For me, matching gtld, used.cars is 1st, .com is second!

for a city portal, I prefer... london.com / london.co.uk / london.city...not london.xyz or london.land...
for tourism portal, I prefer london.tours, not london.kitchen or london.org..
for property portal, I prefer london.property/ londonproperty.com(not possible to buy), not london.com or london.life

I purchased kerala dot property to develop as a portal for my state Kerala.
I tried to buy keralaproperty com but not for sale / asked big money. What I have to do, to start my portal?
I owned and developed .net, but nobody interested to visit the site, I closed the site recently.

If I start a tourism company in my state, Kerala, I prefer to use Kerala dot tours than kerala dot com. kerala/keralatours dot com already with some companies and not possible to get the names. So, what I have to do? Can anyone suggest a good domain name for my business? Is there any other name better than kerala dot tours? Also should note, more companies in the same field looking for similar domain names. Are there any domain names to suggest for their business?

The same happened to Google also. They started Alphabet and could not purchase abc dot com, so they selected dot xyz. Can anyone suggest suitable names for Alphabet than abc dot xyz???

Some .com promoters here always tried to downgrade gtlds. I agree, they were visionaries on their period and they made/making money with .com names. But now they are not ready to change with new generation. There are only <5000 good domain names under each ngtlds. They could not register any names from the list and they blame for others for losing their money. If they have good names, like used.cars, beach.property, cheap.flights, meat.shop, london.news, nyc.live...it is easy to sell...but unfortunately ngltd haters do not own any quality names.

Also I can't buy any good .com names for usd 1000 and also there is no guarantee to make money from the purchase. Nowadays, lot of people sell their .com names for big loss.

As per namebio report on 22nd May,

- The domain AnimalCompanion.com sold for $181 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 92%.
It last sold for $2,288 on March 11th, 2008 at Afternic.
- The domain GolfCoursesGuide.com sold for $3,001 at GoDaddy for a decrease of 95%.
It last sold for $62,000 on January 16th, 2011 at Sedo.
- The domain GodCard.com sold for $170 at NameJet for a decrease of 95%.
It last sold for $3,700 on January 6th, 2013 at Afternic.

What do you think? I request advise from .com people regarding the sale of these .com names.
Agreed 100%!!!

•••
"developed" does not mean much.. could be a placeholder site. only low single digit are new tlds in alexa 1 M.

demand is very low if you look at how my domains godaddy has. most are owned by chinese speculators not end-users. you are not getting the facts from an ad.

If Radix puts 2+2=4 in their ad, you maybe won't believe them lol?

Average of 12 pages. Don't think I have any 12 page sites bookmarked.

First they said: nobody develops ngtls. When provided with some numbers, they say: not enough page number :)

•••

First they said: nobody develops ngtls. When provided with some numbers, they say: not enough page number :)
Not possible to satisfy them until they hold their nice .com portfolios :)

•••

Let them buy and sell 4L.com 1000 times until they will see they are useless and they will drop them. I personally am amazed that those are worth that much. I prefer buying keyword.gtld instead of frwe.com which doesn't mean anything and will be parked for the rest of our lifes.

•••

I've actually always said it's going to take some serious development and lots of it, for the public to get accustomed to them. 12 pages isn't moving any needles. I'm sure there are some big ones out there but for the average to be 12, mostly small.

Then just saw this:
"With over 24Million+ New Domains registered globally, new gTLDs are gradually gaining market share."

um - https://ntldstats.com/tld

Also use the same site and see what the reg numbers are doing for their extensions.

Last edited:
•••
Never mind, that was just funny generalization.

Another story comes to mind:

We often hear that end users don't want ngtlds: "no want, no desire" (c)

Recently someone bought homes.forsale & houses.forsale for a project for $90,000

What we hear now: stupid purchase. But that's not about that, that's about end user want/desire.

Probably, if/when hypothetically the number of developed ngtlds exceeds that of .coms, we will hear: all those ngtld developers are just stupid lol.

•••
Recently someone bought homes.forsale & houses.forsale for a project for $90,000

What we hear now: stupid purchase. But that's not about that, that's about end user want/desire.

Yep, stupid. Went over that in another thread. Just visit the sites. Combined, 1 page. Same content on both "sites". Supposedly in the future it will be developed.

Could take that slide apart, like how when they talk about premium sales, they're talking about their own registry sales, not domainer sales, or when talking about renewals, just first year renewals, not the years after. But alas. Slides don't get too deep, not meant too.

Last edited:
•••
It can be stupid in terms of development potential etc. Most of end users don't pretend to be smart website operators.

But that was about end user want/desire.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I think he meant that he will built real estate related websites on these ngtlds.

•••
NTLDStats shows total nTLD registrations at their lowest levels in about six months and falling. Has the bubble finally burst? Without end users buying aftermarket nTLDs (registry sales don't pay your renewals) how do investors pay renewals?

•••
NTLDStats shows total nTLD registrations at their lowest levels in about six months and falling. Has the bubble finally burst? Without end users buying aftermarket nTLDs (registry sales don't pay your renewals) how do investors pay renewals?
We pay our renewals very easily..by selling to end users :) Remember that most people who are complaining about sales in new gTLDs have registered very crappy new gTLDs at first place - one can not believe what they registered (and then dropped) - I saw some examples, it was very sad. Now they are blaming new gTLDs. Or, they do not have any new gTLDs, and hold only .com, in which case pure existence of new gTLDs is very negatively affecting their holdings - so no surprise they are really unhappy with the situation. But it is also not for new gTLDs to blame. they should start to diversify by buying good new gTLDs.

I would also stop operating with those falling and raising stats in new gTLDs - for example ,if .whatever starts 1 cent promo tomorrow, with big publicity, of course what you will see stat wise is this:

a) first raise of 1-2 mil of names in this extension withing few months after this promo starts
b) after 1 year - if promo does not continue - you will see 90-95% of fail in that extension

When a) will happen, new gTLD critics (.com holders) will shout that it is all fake, because there is a promo
When b) will happen, .new gTLD critics (.com holders) will shout that new gTLDs are dying, it is their end, as such a big drop is happening...

And this whining continues every such cycle as they just look at "total registration" stats...so come on..

What we should look is what is the raise at Alexa 1 mil in relation to sites developed on new gTLDs..and we see sharp rise on many new gTLD extension - end users are developing sites on new gTLDs, and those sites are quickly getting to Alexa 1 mil. And this fact is for new gTLD investors much safer sign then some "total registration" statistics which are greatly influenced up and down by various promos as I have described above.
So start to follow and track Alexa 1 mil for various extensions, if you want to know what is exactly going on.
:)

Last edited:
•••
What we should look is what is the raise at Alexa 1 mil in relation to sites developed on new gTLDs..and we see sharp rise on many new gTLD extension - end users are developing sites on new gTLDs, and those sites are quickly getting to Alexa 1 mil. And this fact is for new gTLD investors much safer sign then some "total registration" statistics which are greatly influenced up and down by various promos as I have described above.
So start to follow and track Alexa 1 mil for various extensions, if you want to know what is exactly going on.

You want to look at Alexa for new gltds. You sure? If so, make sure your computer security is up to date.

Start going thru these and tell me what you notice.

https://domainpunch.com/tlds/topgtlds.php

After that, search on how easy it is to manipulate Alexa, since basically the beginning of their existence. Alexa was a term to easily find out who was new.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I am looking very frequently. My computer is still safe :)

Tell everybody what you see. How many

This site can’t be reached
or
website blocked
or
trying to install some bs on your computer
or
doesn't resolve
or
File not found
or
completely blank page

I bet just looking at the names you can tell.

Like you said "if you want to know what is exactly going on."

Start going thru them. If you ever did take the time to go thru them, you would never mention Alexa in trying to promote them.

https://domainpunch.com/tlds/topgtlds.php

Last edited:
•••
When a) will happen, new gTLD critics (.com holders) will shout that it is all fake, because there is a promo
When b) will happen, .new gTLD critics (.com holders) will shout that new gTLDs are dying, it is their end, as such a big drop is happening...

When a) will happen, new gTLD lovers (and new gTLD registries) will shout that it is proof the new gTLDs are doing great.
When b) will happen, .new gTLD lovers will shout that this was to be expected as it's the result of a mass dropping due to a penny promotion from 1 year earlier.

In reality though the new gTLDs are dropping in numbers currently and I highly doubt the aftermath of these penny promotions are the sole reason.

What we should look is what is the raise at Alexa 1 mil in relation to sites developed on new gTLDs..
Alexa was never an accurate tool to track any extension, including .com, so why would it be a good tool to track new gTLDs?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back