IT.COM

REPORTED SALES vs. UNREPORTED

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
We are always looking at reported sales to analyze data. We often hear others encourage domain sales to be reported to assist in our decision making. It's very common for advice to be based on reported domain sales. No doubt, reported sales are an important part of domain investing.

So how many domain sales go unreported?

For every one domain sale that is reported, how many go unreported?

Is there a known common percentage of domain sales that go unreported?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So how many domain sales go unreported?

In my case all go unreported. I do not want a past, and possible future, customer bombarded with 'offers' from other sellers. It is certain they will know the sales traffic is the result of my interaction with them...it may compromise any future dealings we may have.

However, there are a few trusted domainers I share info with as I am sure they will not post the details publicly.

•••
Can't say for sure about the numbers but there's one thing guaranteed, unreported sales market is a lot more big than ones that's reported.

I interact often with friends who do not make their sales public neither do I, as most of sales I do are geos with specific niches and cities - I'd lose out due to more fierce competition.

I have closed 4 sales in last 2 days alone but I reported none, of course I shared some of these with few of my friends.

•••
I think there are more sales that go unreported. And this can stem from various reasons like NDAs in place, trying to corner the market just like @UmerK stated, not wanting unsolicited mail from other sellers etc.

•••
I report small sales here in the NamePros thread , but just every once in a while to simply be a contributor to the sales thread, The sales thread goes way back to the early years, so it is kinda NamePros history so to speak.

I make a sale per week, sometimes two , I don’t really see any reason to report sales all the time, that just me though.

I never report a sale outside of NamePros, never will either. That is just my own personal preference though.

I made 77 sales in 2018, I think of those I reported 2 or 3 in the NPs thread, i think I have only reported a couple this year, I always post the paper work from the market place when I do a post a small sale here

Last edited:
•••
in the past month i have had between 20-25 sales and as far as i know not one was reported. two weeks ago i sold a 4L through gd. and i was watching nb and sn to see if it would show up,it didn't. so even the mainstream marketplaces don't report all of their sales. i don't think 90% or more of sales going unreported globally is a crazy number .

•••
good question

part of the answer may be in another question: how many domain investors are on np?

50%?

•••
I'd guess a vast majority are not reported. Either NDA, competition issues, sales under $100, and so on.

I don't report most of mine either and like @UmerK said, others don't report any of theirs here or publicly.

Would be nice to know however, how many are sold each day and the average amounts though.

Last edited:
•••
odd question, as it's impossible to know.

•••
I don't even look into this data...
If I get results from my own portfolio - then track is right... regardless of what is reported somewhere.

Last edited:
•••
I do not want a past, and possible future, customer bombarded with 'offers' from other sellers. It is certain they will know the sales traffic is the result of my interaction with them...it may compromise any future dealings we may have.

Good points!

nowadays, so many domainers search sales data, looking for leads and ideas
and some from that group will surely solicit a recent buyer, if they think their name is somehow related or has similar keywords.

and on other side of that coin,
does anyone ever consider, that the buyer may not want that information disclosed, even if they didn't explicitly say so.

imo...

•••
odd question, as it's impossible to know.
One thing is for sure, by not questioning, it is impossible to know. I would rather ask an "odd" question than ask no question at all. :xf.smile:

My favorite professor always said, "There are no stupid questions if your intent is genuine."

Last edited:
•••
Well, I've sold two in the last year, both unreported. It's been so long since I've belonged to anyplace to report them. Was in here years ago, but just for a short time and then life got busy. I put about 30 domain names in GoDaddy's Premium Domain program when it came along, but other then that I didn't try to actively sell.

Here are the two that I sold... coleen.com and internetclipart.com, both for 800.00 each,

•••
--

Last edited:
•••
It is impossible to know because they are unreported. But I guess as much as 80% of domain sales goes unreported.

•••
It is impossible to know because they are unreported. But I guess as much as 80% of domain sales goes unreported.

I agree, as a guesstimate I would say your figure is about right. I think those made public are a pretty good overview of the types of domains sold and reflective of general pricing, So no real information is lost except the actual amount of the yearly turnover.

If my reported sales are anything to go on then it's about 5% of total

Last edited:
•••
I would say less than 0.2% is reported in Namebio/Namepros/DNJournal to be honest, as far as I know in mainland China alone, not counting from other countries/regions.

Last edited:
•••
I report about 25% of my sales.

•••
I saw elsewhere that almost the entire domain sales in China are unreported. And they sell pretty much domains in that region.

•••
I would say the vast majority of all sales are not reported. Not because of NDA as much as because they are via venues that don't report data.

I have sold many domains via Escrow.com, GoDaddy, Afternic, etc. None of these are publicly reported. Many years ago venues like GoDaddy/Afternic did release sales data. They no longer do.

It is hard to put an exact % on this. I would guess that only about 10% of all my sales have been reported. These are primarily ones that went through Sedo or GD/Afternic in the past when they reported sales.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
ccTLDs are the most invisible part of iceberg.

•••
Well, I've sold two in the last year, both unreported. It's been so long since I've belonged to anyplace to report them. Was in here years ago, but just for a short time and then life got busy. I put about 30 domain names in GoDaddy's Premium Domain program when it came along, but other then that I didn't try to actively sell.

Here are the two that I sold... coleen.com and internetclipart.com, both for 800.00 each,
Sorry, my mistake...that was Caleen, not Coleen. See, I do make mistakes....

•••
good question

part of the answer may be in another question: how many domain investors are on np?

50%?

That seems ambitious to me. I would say there a many, many people/companies selling domains who don't have a NP account. And of the number of people who actually do have a NP account. Only a minute sliver of which actually report sales.

It would not surprise, if 90%+ of domain sales go unreported. My sales are never reported. Which is probably true of most of us here.

In order to get a better handle on this. What percentage of sales do you think NameBio represents? It's not a trick question. I have no idea.

•••
It would not surprise, if 90%+ of domain sales go unreported.
Based on responses, I feel 80 - 90% is a good baseline.

Last edited:
•••
I saw elsewhere that almost the entire domain sales in China are unreported. And they sell pretty much domains in that region.

This is true.

•••
Back