IT.COM

discuss Renewal Funds

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
can there be a public fund on namepros , collected from all the successful domainers who want to help others.
People who do not have money for renewals , they may post their name to the forum and someone may decide whether the public fund can be used for renewal of those domains.
The public fund will then hold a 10-30% ownership in that domain name based on the year of renewals.
Just my thought.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what if you have 5000 domains ??
then how much will be 10-30% ??
talking about whole portfolios here > 4000, say for 5 years.

I own over 5,000 domains. I pay my renewals with a portion of my income from sales.

Brad

•••
than you are a very successful domainer. congrats.
you must take the lead sir

•••
indian software talent is working mostly for american companies in form of tcs , infy , wipro etc
the brightest of indian talent is with microsoft , google , yahoo , fb etc.
I'm a software engineer but I'm not working for anyone. You summarize everything and represents whole software industry. There are many software engineers who are working on urban development and providing websites for schools, organizations, etc. Please don't conclude everything with mediocre knowledge!

•••
I'm a software engineer but I'm not working for anyone. You summarize everything and represents whole software industry. There are many software engineers who are working on urban development and providing websites for schools, organizations, etc. Please don't conclude everything with mediocre knowledge!
mediocre knowledge. i am a software engineer as well as chemical engineer.
when i mention something , its for majority. i hope you know this simple thing at least before jumping on someone else thread. smoking low quality south indian ganja ?

•••
mediocre knowledge. i am a software engineer as well as chemical engineer.
when i mention something , its for majority. i hope you know this simple thing at least before jumping on someone else thread. smoking low quality south indian ganja ?
You have created a thread on a public forum where anyone can jump-in, not someone else thread. Ask mods to limit your threads next time(it should be visible to other users who agree with you) LOL.

•••
can there be a public fund on namepros , collected from all the successful domainers who want to help others.
People who do not have money for renewals , they may post their name to the forum and someone may decide whether the public fund can be used for renewal of those domains.
The public fund will then hold a 10-30% ownership in that domain name based on the year of renewals.
Just my thought.

Someone tried something related to this a couple years ago...I think the person is now restricted here and the project fell apart miserably...not that bad intentions were there, it was just not as self sustaining as that person and those that invested thought it would be.

I do see a time when a group of like minded domainers will invest and and purchase names as a group, make decisions on pricing as a group and share profits as a group. I, for one, would enjoy participating in something like this and unless I am incorrect, there is at least one registrar working to make this possible.

The only thing in your scenario that I think would have to be different is the original 'owner' would have to give up much more percentage...something like 70.

•••
Someone tried something related to this a couple years ago...I think the person is now restricted here and the project fell apart miserably...not that bad intentions were there, it was just not as self sustaining as that person and those that invested thought it would be.

I do see a time when a group of like minded domainers will invest and and purchase names as a group, make decisions on pricing as a group and share profits as a group. I, for one, would enjoy participating in something like this and unless I am incorrect, there is at least one registrar working to make this possible.

The only thing in your scenario that I think would have to be different is the original 'owner' would have to give up much more percentage...something like 70.
Blockchain will make fractional ownership possible, with forced sales of domains at set threshold, say 80% agree etc...

This sounds like a story of buying a lot of garbage godaddy appraised domains, getting no sales, and now can’t make renewals. Nobody creates a thread like this unless they are directly going thru this scenario.

Nobody is going to lend money on garbage domains that are going to default. If you have a name of quality collateralize it, or sell it at a liquid value to pay your renewals. It only gets harder from here as renewals are going up across the board for all extensions including .com, and .org soon, including endless gtlds in October.

•••
Nobody is going to lend money on garbage domains that are going to default.

Of course the quality of the names is the key here...I am thinking 3L .com or killer one words...

It only gets harder from here as renewals are going up across the board for all extensions including .com

Have you formed any thoughts or gleaned any info as to what the .coms may go to...I may have to adjust my weekly budget!

•••
Of course the quality of the names is the key here...I am thinking 3L .com or killer one words...

Have you formed any thoughts or gleaned any info as to what the .coms may go to...I may have to adjust my weekly budget!
I think verisign has outlined it somewhere, I believe the first bump is going to be around 7 percent, I could be wrong but something to that effect. Huge Domains / Turn Commerce fought hard against it, but billions beat millions when it comes to verisign.

•••
whatiftherearealiens.com

•••
what if you have 5000 domains ??
then how much will be 10-30% ??
talking about whole portfolios here > 4000, say for 5 years.

Well that's just bait for a fish.
If you have 4,000 domains renewing at $10 year that's $40,000 a year in renewal fees, plus you said 5 years renewal so that's $200,000, plus privacy let's say $5 a year, total is $300,000 plus tax lets say $20%, so $360,000 for a 4,000 domain portfolio.
What exactly is your life goal?

•••
Something like this has been initiated by one of us for brand market listed domains. I believe the company name is Brandexy and hoping am not breaking any rule by mentioning it here.

Last edited:
•••
If a domain is about to drop, and everyone knows about it, and nobody wants to register it, just let it drop, or?

•••
but i did not ask funding for my own personal domains. By God's grace , I have a son of a person backing me in domains and that person is in india's top 10 richest list.
Wonderful news!!! You are in the perfect position to help us by implimenting your clever plan. Please convince your backer to invest a measly $10,000,000 00 seed money into your idea, with you being the CEO of this new venture.

•••
Yes everything ok from your end but still here you are wrong sir.
"Nobody creates a thread like this unless they are directly going thru this scenario."

Blockchain will make fractional ownership possible, with forced sales of domains at set threshold, say 80% agree etc...

This sounds like a story of buying a lot of garbage godaddy appraised domains, getting no sales, and now can’t make renewals. Nobody creates a thread like this unless they are directly going thru this scenario.

Nobody is going to lend money on garbage domains that are going to default. If you have a name of quality collateralize it, or sell it at a liquid value to pay your renewals. It only gets harder from here as renewals are going up across the board for all extensions including .com, and .org soon, including endless gtlds in October.

•••
Wonderful news!!! You are in the perfect position to help us by implimenting your clever plan. Please convince your backer to invest a measly $10,000,000 00 seed money into your idea, with you being the CEO of this new venture.
I think if every human gets an ethical clever plan in their life, no one can stop them to be successful. But here my plan is not that "clever" plan which you are might be thinking about.. Sorry to disappoint you.

•••
Don't we have banks for that? Not that I would suggest getting a loan to cover for renewals in most cases but you get the idea.

The biggest problem I see is with the shared ownership. It can work but there has to be a tight contract.

If the fund would own, say 30% of the portfolio, who's gonna decide when and for how much to sell. Say you have a 10K offer and the fund says, no, not enough. We want 20K for that name. Or what if it it's the other way around?

It would work to some extent with a portfolio consisting of merely liquids but it would be a hurdle to tackle nonetheless.

A better and cheaper solution would be to sell some names to cover renewals. In your proposal you could end up giving away 30% of a possible sale to a fund that only lent you, say $50 (5 years avg .com renewal).

Not that it can't be done. I own part of a portfolio where ownership is equally shared amongst me and 4 friends. Rules are very strict though.

Actually, if anybody is facing renewals and needs $50 to cover renewal for their truly premium for a 30% share in the name, I'm all ears :).

•••
I think if every human gets an ethical clever plan in their life, no one can stop them to be successful. But here my plan is not that "clever" plan which you are might be thinking about.. Sorry to disappoint you.

When you have a cast-iron plan there are two possible scenarios:
1. Success
2. Death
So, what is your plan, Mr $10bn?

•••
Just my thought.

My that sounds so incredibly easy to administer.

•••
My life goal
When you have a cast-iron plan there are two possible scenarios:
1. Success
2. Death
So, what is your plan, Mr $10bn?
i hope and pray God put sweets in your mouth by denoting me as Mr 10Bn usd/'

my personal plan in life is either success or death.but not foolishly.

•••
•••
If you have 4,000 domains renewing at $10 year that's $40,000 a year in renewal fees, plus you said 5 years renewal so that's $200,000, plus privacy let's say $5 a year, total is $300,000 plus tax lets say $20%, so $360,000 for a 4,000 domain portfolio.
In 2019 you should not be paying for privacy, lots of discount registers offer it for free.

•••
Don't we have banks for that? Not that I would suggest getting a loan to cover for renewals in most cases but you get the idea.

The biggest problem I see is with the shared ownership. It can work but there has to be a tight contract.

If the fund would own, say 30% of the portfolio, who's gonna decide when and for how much to sell. Say you have a 10K offer and the fund says, no, not enough. We want 20K for that name. Or what if it it's the other way around?

It would work to some extent with a portfolio consisting of merely liquids but it would be a hurdle to tackle nonetheless.

A better and cheaper solution would be to sell some names to cover renewals. In your proposal you could end up giving away 30% of a possible sale to a fund that only lent you, say $50 (5 years avg .com renewal).

Not that it can't be done. I own part of a portfolio where ownership is equally shared amongst me and 4 friends. Rules are very strict though.

Actually, if anybody is facing renewals and needs $50 to cover renewal for their truly premium for a 30% share in the name, I'm all ears :).
Yes , tight legal contract is the solution here. In the case where 10K offer is received for particular domain name , personally even I am the part of any such contract , then i will go with the advice of the investor..
As the investor have saved those domains by renewing them , I will show gratitude by respecting their decisions but will also discuss with them about it before concluding anything.
I believe healthy discussions and mutual trust are the key factors here.

When big companies sell or buy equities or participate in seed funding , then i believe domains can also be treated as companies or some sort of a company,
At the end of the day , domains are the assets who initiate any idea/

•••
no jokes allowed here buddy.

•••
do you know of any other method or trick to pay for the renewals of this N number of domains without paying this much amount sir.
also as fellow domainer mentioned no privacy + usa billing compared to india will reduce some tax amount + when 4000 domains renewals , then definitely some discount might also exist.
also lets say we go for 10 years. this will further reduce the amount.
almost 350-400k usd in 10 years .
but if you will do the appraisal of portfolio even with lenient pricing such as of 100-300 usd per domain , you may calculate how much it will come.
also trust and belief and hope are keyfactors here while taking the decision.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back