Domain Empire

registries Registrar - Not allowing transfer of Premium new gTLD domains??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
The following issue/question got kindoff lost in the crowd and since I believe I'm not the only sucker who bought a Premium new gTLD domain I'm posing it here again...

I tried to transfer a new gTLD premium to another registrar which had a decent price rather than renewing at a crazy price. However, I got an answer from the Registrar that its a Premium name and "registrars or registry moving to other registrar is prohibited."

Has anyone come across that?

Do Premium domains have some extra limitations?
Can they block me from transferring it out to another Registrar? Will some registrars accept the names while others wont?

Interesting in hearing from others experience.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I tried Uniregsitry BUT they charge $1000 for a transfer..
The only problem is that most registrars charge a lot for transfers...
uniregistry (or any other registrar as far as I know) doesn't charge anything extra for a transfer. They just charge you the renewal. If your domain is a premium at the $1000/yr level (retail price at gd and name.com, $880/yr at uniregistry) they will charge you that.

•••
Already transferred XXX domains since 2009.
Then you are one of the lucky ones. Check around the forum here and on the search engines and you will see lots of bad things about them. Too many of us have experienced it first hand.

•••
I don't need to check anything... I know 1and1 as my 5 fingers...

•••
I don't need to check anything... I know 1and1 as my 5 fingers...
I was meaning you don't know your own experiences, just to check all the horror stories about 1&1 that a huge amount of people here and around the web have had to deal with.

Like I said, you are one of the lucky ones. I said in my first post that it doesn't always happen. Myself and countless others have dealt with bad experiences with them and don't want to either risk it or go through it again.

•••
•••
I never said that you were alone. Like I just said, it doesn't happen to everyone. However, there are a lot of domainers here and around the web that have had to deal with bad experiences with them.

They have had 531 complaints with the Better Business Bureau in the last 3 years alone. Those are just the ones who filed a complaint. That number would be a lot higher if everyone who had a bad experience filed a complaint with the BBB.

See here: http://www.bbb.org/washington-dc-ea...net-inc-in-chesterbrook-pa-1040770/complaints

I posted on this thread to offer information to the OP, which is what I did. I just wanted him to be made aware of what happens to a lot of their customers. I wanted him to know the risks, especially with a premium domain.

•••
Did you read the thread via link that I posted above???

Accordingly Premiums - 1and1 don't support them at all!
And also was posted above.

Last edited:
•••

Yes I read it but I didn't say it his domain was at 1&1. I was just giving his some information about them because he mentioned them.

•••

That's a bonus for me.
I don't use 1and1 but I have an ethical objection to registry premiums.

•••
The story is that the REGISTRARS are just being GREEDY !

The Registry does not charge the Registrars an extra charge for the Premium names.

Maybe its worth gathering all other premium owners, and put pressure/boycott the Registrars who wont be offering renewal or transfers at reasonable prices? or just go to the few who are willing to give reasonable prices.

There is no reason for such prices!

We could transfer all our domains to the registrars which will offer fair pricing.

Any thoughts?

•••
No, these prices are set by Registries.
Registrars just have various/individual rebates from them. This is the only one difference among registrars.

•••
+ Hexonet has a few pricelists...
Ask them about Platinum-column...
And that's all.

•••
Again, That is not what I was told from Donuts. They claim that they do not have special or high price set at all but that its done by the Registrars who basically use the excuse that these are premium names and therefore increases the price dramatically.

•••
Ok... hexonet has ridicules high prices for renewal of premium domains

•••
I know from name.com, Hover, Alpnames etc. - that these prices are set by Registries.

•••
So someone is not telling the truth... Either the Registry or the Registrars....

•••
So 3+ different registrars are lying simultaneously or what???

•••
Premium-history was started since .TV by Verisign...
So nothing new, other Registries just copied this method.

•••
I'm sure you misunderstood what donuts told you.

Premium domains (and their pricing tier) are set by registries and registrars only charge a (relatively) small additional premium just like they do on all domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back