Domain Empire

registries Registrar - Not allowing transfer of Premium new gTLD domains??

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Yong1

Established Member
Impact
The following issue/question got kindoff lost in the crowd and since I believe I'm not the only sucker who bought a Premium new gTLD domain I'm posing it here again...

I tried to transfer a new gTLD premium to another registrar which had a decent price rather than renewing at a crazy price. However, I got an answer from the Registrar that its a Premium name and "registrars or registry moving to other registrar is prohibited."

Has anyone come across that?

Do Premium domains have some extra limitations?
Can they block me from transferring it out to another Registrar? Will some registrars accept the names while others wont?

Interesting in hearing from others experience.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Already answered in another thread: for Premiums such transfer-limitations are used widely by various Registries.

•••
Yes... I saw your answer..thanks! However, is it legal??

Can it be that some registrars will accept transfers of premium names and others not?

•••
Yes, absolutely legal if their Agreement with ICANN includes such statement.

•••
Registrar doesn't matter.
Transfers are blocked by Registries.

•••
So for how long am I stuck at the specific Registrar? Nothing was ever mentioned. I believe that it is illegal!

•••
If you believe - then contact Registry directly...
What is your nTLD? Find their website and contact...

•••
So for how long am I stuck at the specific Registrar? Nothing was ever mentioned. I believe that it is illegal!
I think this is the case for premiums, I should think it's legal but may be questionable under European competition laws.

•••
Got a response from Donuts that "You can transfer from registrar to registrar. This is your choice"

However, i reality the registrar isnt succeeding in transferring the name...

•••
COMPLAIN to icann no registrar is allowed to hold you hostage.

•••
I believe you may only transfer a premuim domain if the winning registry also supports premiums in that extension.

•••
Why do premiums need a special support?

•••
Could be a technical issue. Many registrars are not up to date and need time to integrate premium pricing. I read some registrars were writing about this on their blog. I think they needed to integrate a new protocol or something like that to make it work. Either this or just horrible business practices. Another reason why premium priced domains are better to be avoided.

•••
Why do premiums need a special support?

Because it prevents someone from transferring a premium renewal domain to a registry that only supports renewals at the regular rates.

It's all completely f*cked.

•••
Yet another reason to avoid premium domain names.

•••
Please specify the registrar the domain is currently in and the destination registrar.
Personally, I never had any problems transferring domains with premium renewals.

•••
at h exonet and wanted to send to 1and1. 1and1 doesnt support premium names.

•••
If your main concern is price I would suggest uniregistry as an alternative.

•••
1and1 doesnt support premium names.
Why this information was not included in your 1st post???
That song is well known...

•••
p.s. Please save our time when posting further questions if you can't formulate them properly...

•••
I think I formulated my question just fine..but thanks for your response. It is appreciated.

Not always does one want to mention the names of the Registrars involved for obvious reasons. I think you have been here long enough to understand that :)

In addition, I was trying to understand the reasons behind it and your answer by the way stated that it was the Registries who block transfers of premiums: "Registrar doesn't matter.
Transfers are blocked by Registries."
However after speaking to the Registry I was told its not the case but rather whether a Registrar has the technical ability to support transfer of Premium domains.

In any event thanks again for all your input and time. Have a great day!

•••
at h exonet and wanted to send to 1and1. 1and1 doesnt support premium names.
Transferring any domain to 1&1 could wind up being a big mistake. Do a Google search for the terms 1&1 and just about any bad related word (scam, ripoff, stole, cheat, etc.) and you will find that they have an awful lot of complaint's. Just search this forum and you will see that may people here have had real bad experiences.

I'm not saying that it always happens, but do you want to risk a big headache and an urge to do this after trying to deal with them:

500x217

•••
Yes... I saw the post but apparently the same goes to godaddy too. Some ppl here had a good experience with them. In any event, they cant do it. S

I tried Uniregsitry BUT they charge $1000 for a transfer..

•••
Various registries have various Premium-policies... since .TV
I just answered on your 1st post where also mentioned: "moving to other registrar is prohibited".

Last edited:
•••
That is indeed what you said in the first post. However that is not correct in this case. Its allowed! No problem at all. The only problem is that most registrars charge a lot for transfers...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back