Dynadot

discuss Registered a new domain under privacy and still get spam why?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I recently hand registered a new name at Uniregistry under privacy and 24 hours later I'm getting spam from seo companies etc how are they getting my email details when the details are meant to be under privacy and hidden?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The email shown when domain is under privacy is usually linked to your main email. Most registrars work that way and I think Uni works like that too.

edit: try sending an email to the email shown in the domain's whois to verify my saying. It should arrive at your inbox normally.

Last edited:
•••
Some registrars sell your info for extra money.

•••
The email is coming to the privacy email. People sit around scraping new registrations. Does not mean they know who you are. Never reply and report as spam.

•••
•••
Which ones ?

I've noticed some patterns when I register a name at certain registrars where I'd get emails almost immediately afterward. Others I see almost none. I know which are which because I use many email accounts for my domains.

Also, if you believe Google Domains here is what they have listed on their website:

3. Protect your data
Beyond failing to protect your personal data from the public records, some registrars actually sell your data to third parties such as marketing organizations. Some registrars even mine the WHOIS database and send out false renewal invoices, getting people to unknowingly transfer their domains. Make sure to find a registrar that promises never to sell or misuse customer data for marketing purposes.

•••
I've noticed some patterns when I register a name at certain registrars where I'd get emails almost immediately afterward. Others I see almost none.
Everybody can see new registrations (from the zone files). What spammers do is compile list of newly-registered domains then scrape the whois and start contacting registrants. Doesn't mean the registrar is selling data away. Although some like GD have recently made the job more difficult for spammers by restricting the data available through port 43.

•••
Old and new lists get sold

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back