Dynadot

status-monitor Reduce post fluff

Spaceship
Watch

N-A

Account Closed
Impact
There are very few members that this applies to, and much fewer it would affect.

A suggestion is to make the character count of a post 25 characters or more for non-VIP members.

If a person is to post again, without a reply being made by a different user, the two posts should merge into one despite the length.

There are rules that specifically state "thanks" etc. is considered fluff, but in my opinion, much more can be and this problem persists.

This is cluttering up threads, making them almost unreadable. If it can't be articulated in more than 25 characters, it has to be fluff.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Definitely makes sense dude...I think it's a good idea.

Would certainly help thread content have certain amount of quality.
Definitely. That was my thinking behind it.

I belong to a forum where from time to time I saw "Yup 20 characters ......." (or something to that extent) and realized that posts won't go through unless they have 20 or more characters. It certainly adds quality when you agree, and explain why you agree. Though, sometimes that's not necessary and VIP members could have the benefit of the doubt.

•••
Hmmm that does kinda make sense, I think it's a valid point.

I'm just trying to think of instances were it might not be ideal (like one instance that @briguy pointed out, when bumping a sales thread)

Also when bidding on an auction... we often just post the amount. I guess certain sections can have the post count quota removed...like the auctions area...

•••
25 character of less, would that also include "bump" postings or similar kinda of postings?

•••
I just realized that it wouldn't work in the marketplace shortly after posting but I ran out the door too quickly to edit it. There should be no "bumps" in the discussion forum though, you're there to discuss something in detail.

The marketplace would still be open to bidding, bumping, etc. as typical. I could only see this working and being beneficial in the discussion forums, free services, domain lists, free resources, general discussion, and community. Keep in mind, it could be set to only restrict those that aren't VIP so it wouldn't affect anyone else from obeying the rules, but still stepping outside of the boundaries every now in then.

The intention I had in mind was to stop the habitual offenders of this.

•••
Definitely makes sense dude...I think it's a good idea.

Would certainly help thread content have certain amount of quality.

•••
@David Walker Do you mean a similar rule to SEO content?
I don't follow.

Basically, I don't want you to feel excluded or anything as you're not VIP (but, should relatively soon seeing 418 posts), but if you had replied directly after that with a question to @briguy, the two posts would merge together and be one. This way, your post count wouldn't go up 2, rather 1. This would prevent people from reaching 750 earlier than they should and ensure that they're contributing quality content.

The other measure would be if you just stated, "yeah, I agree" or "no that's not good". It wouldn't post at all being under 25 characters. You would have to extend it somehow where it was either quality such as adding an opinion.

I don't follow how this is related to SEO as I'm not following those trends currently. It's just more of a nuisance and it's really only a few members that do this over and over.

It may not even be beneficial to implement this. Rather, just keep reporting the users that post 5 word statements 3 to 4 times in a row. You know who they are...

•••
Although this might bring some frustration to some trolls around the forum, it will not avoid content spams and bs chit-chats. I was reading a thread this morning that was completely hijacked and turned into a chit-chat between 2-3 members. 25 characters was not stopping them from messing around.

•••
Personally, I don't see this as that big of a problem. Yes, some replies offer absolutely nothing but with real people that's how it sometimes goes IMO. Also, I think that many newbies are a bit shy to post anything longer so those little, tiny replies are their way of taking part.

•••
•••
What I am referring to David was the only such message I posted during the whole auction thus making my post disappear and get no views as a result good names with a full year left on registration were sold for a paltry $1 yet I stuck to my end of that and pushed the domains all 28 of them.

•••
Can we also reduce post fluff by introducing a max character limit for those guys who waffle on and on and on in their own little world. Keep it to a reasonable length please. :lookaround:

Obviously I'm talking about the discussion area not the blogs sub forum. If it's your blog you can waffle as much as you want.

Just my opinion.

•••
Some bits of info like reported sales can legitimately be short... but why not require people reporting sales to say if it is theirs or not - there are endless fluff posts here asking posters if a sale was theirs.

•••
Personally, I don't see this as that big of a problem. Yes, some replies offer absolutely nothing but with real people that's how it sometimes goes IMO. Also, I think that many newbies are a bit shy to post anything longer so those little, tiny replies are their way of taking part.

i agree with @nomen

there are some who rattle off at the jibs and still don't say anything that you haven't heard before.

what can you do about that?

:)

posting replies like "Thanks and You're Welcome" are signs of acknowledgement and it shows they were taught some manners by their parents.

such behavior should not be discouraged.

imo...

•••
I did report and got this originally
Sorry about that. The container BB Code is relatively new. Some of our mods may not know about it yet.

•••
•••
•••
I meant on SEO you get a low score if your content doesn't reach a certain threshold of words ie. word count. Why would I feel excluded, I did not take your post personally.

•••
I do though take it personally if I have domains listed for sale and I reply with Thank you @ username for your bid the bid is currently $1. My post gets deleted as being a non bid, yet I constantly see... bump. bump. bump. If I am posting domains isn't that what this site is about? I have all emails from namepros to prove my point here.

•••
I do though take it personally if I have domains listed for sale and I reply with Thank you @ username for your bid the bid is currently $1. My post gets deleted as being a non bid, yet I constantly see... bump. bump. bump. If I am posting domains isn't that what this site is about? I have all emails from namepros to prove my point here.
It could be as it wasn't made within a 24 hour window and you caused an early bump. You're only allowed to bump a thread once per 24 hours, even though the system ill allow you to do it by thanking each person for their bid within that time window. This is something to report when it occurs as I can only speculate here.

•••
I meant on SEO you get a low score if your content doesn't reach a certain threshold of words ie. word count. Why would I feel excluded, I did not take your post personally.
Kinda of what you see when you visit D.P. forum (Dig..Poi,,)

•••
Can we also reduce post fluff by introducing a max character limit for those guys who waffle on and on and on in their own little world. Keep it to a reasonable length please. :lookaround:

Obviously I'm talking about the discussion area not the blogs sub forum. If it's your blog you can waffle as much as you want.

Just my opinion.

^QFT

Ridiculously massive posts could have a paragraph of intro then the rest AT LEAST enclosed in SPOILER tags

https://www.namepros.com/posts/5559083/
3,820 words 21,041 characters

•••
I did report and got this originally - Unfortunately, your recent report has been rejected: Post in thread '.IO Future' - Member is on topic / No rule violation
Now it's beautiful, and the OP was fine with it too - thanks!

•••
Yes and Container is not shown in the Insert Drop Down for users, so I suggested in thread to use Spoiler, I couldn't remember the Container tag myself

In this case Container is the better choice, where Spoiler I prefer for long lists

•••
Check now. If you Report really long posts, we can add that to them manually. We don't have a way to do it automatically (yet).

If you're curious, I used the container BB Code: https://www.namepros.com/help/bb-codes
Unless I stop scrolling when I get to the post using the container BB code, and then place the cursor on top of that particular post, and then start scrolling again, I am unable to actually get the text in the container to scroll. If you just scroll past the post, it does not trigger the inter-post scroll.

There needs to be something to clearly indicate that the post text is in a container. If not it’s too easy to just scroll past without noticing that there is a lot more text inside a post/container. I scrolled up and down that page several times before I discovered which post was in a container.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back