IT.COM

Rebel.com is trying to hold my domain hostage

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sam1234

Top Member
Impact
I purchased a domain from someone here and they pushed it to me at Rebel.com. I cancelled my Paypal agreement with Rebel.com in case they tried to charge me for something I did not agree to, and sure enough they immediately tried to charge me $40 for a new year on the domain, even thought the settings on the domain did not even have auto-renew on. I got an e-mail from them that said something like, "Pay this $40 or you will lose your domain." I do not owe them $40. I never requested a new year. There have been no changes to the WHOIS info (it is the same as before). I decided I wanted to transfer away from these scammers and I requested an auth code, and the system told me there was an error and to contact support. I believe they are going to try to steal my domain. I don't see how a simple push means I owe them $40. Do I have any legal recourse apart from actually hiring a lawyer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry to hear that Sam, i dont use rebel, never did ... i hope you get your domain back

•••
Did you get in touch with the support? Everything depends on their response

•••
Thank you for the replies, I have e-mailed support and will be chatting with them when live chat opens in a few minutes.

Last edited:
•••
Make sure to link them to this thread and tell them that the community would also like to know the solution to this issue.

Last edited:
•••
•••
can you post pic of their email? I'd like to know exactly what it said

•••
•••
Okay, they replied to me and told me they had sent the auth code. Contacting my seller to retrieve it. I guess all's well that ends well. I'll update when I get the auth code from my seller. I still don't recommend Rebel.com unless you want to deal with unauthorized charges and ransoming of your domains, but they did release the domain so I don't want to make a bigger deal of this than it is. Again though, I do advise people to stay away from Rebel.com.

•••
•••
@alcy: This was the original e-mail that started this:

------------------
Hi ,

We are writing to let you know that we tried to bill you for the following product(s) but the payment failed:

• superbet.co

Still want this domain? Please log in to your account and update your credit card information. If you no longer want it, please contact our 24/7 Customer Support team who will assist you in removing it from your account.

Please note that failure to update your card will result in the loss of your domain.

The current default card on your account is not set.

The expected total charge is $38.89. If the information on file is correct, please contact your credit card company to ensure that there are no issues.

---------------------

Attempting to transfer out resulted in errors on the website, directing me to contact support. Again, there was no reason for them to renew my domain. Auto-renew was off and the domain had a month left.

They did release the domain though, as mentioned previously.

Last edited:
•••
@alcy: This was the original e-mail that started this:

------------------
Hi ,

We are writing to let you know that we tried to bill you for the following product(s) but the payment failed:

Still want this domain? Please log in to your account and update your credit card information. If you no longer want it, please contact our 24/7 Customer Support team who will assist you in removing it from your account.

Please note that failure to update your card will result in the loss of your domain.

The current default card on your account is not set.

The expected total charge is $38.89. If the information on file is correct, please contact your credit card company to ensure that there are no issues.

---------------------

Attempting to transfer out resulted in errors on the website, directing me to contact support. Again, there was no reason for them to renew my domain. Auto-renew was off and the domain had a month left.

They did release the domain though, as mentioned previously.

Remove your name first, you don't need to tell us domain name.

It's good to always protect your name also every page here get indexed by Google which reduce price & sales chances.

•••
For some reason I can't edit any of my posts in this thread but that is very good advice.

•••
@Sam1234 - you can use the "Report" button on your own post and kindly ask the Mods to remove the domain from your post and the quoted post

In the future either leave it out, or make it so search won't find it l/i/k/e t/h/i/s

Rebel has some specials every once in a while that are too good to pass up, and they are annoying to deal with, terrible UI HOWEVER support has fixed pretty much every request, they just aren't domainer friendly. They renew 45 days early, you have to contact support to shut OFF autorenew, if you request Auth Codes they expire after 10 days, they do not have a simple whois owner change opt out. Super cheap transfers was the only reason we all tried them out

https://www.namepros.com/threads/1-com-net-org-ca-transfers-rebel-com.888627/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/rebel-offers-5-99-for-com-ca-net-org-and-co-transfer-inns.993375/

And yes you didn't choose Rebel since it was a aftermarket purchase, just if they do have a super special in the future, you can take advantage since you have an account already now. : wink :

•••
Back