Dynadot

Question about the new TLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have a few questions about the new TLDs that ICANN are making available.

1. Will just typing the TLD in the address bar work ?

By registering the TLD ".google", domains like "search.google" and "maps.google" will be possible. But will just tying "google" in the address bar be possible, to open the Google page ?

2. I understand that proprietary TLDs such as ".google" and ".microsoft" will be allowed for the respective companies.

But what about generic TLDs such as ".doctor" or ".school", can anybody register those ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
But what about generic TLDs such as ".doctor" or ".school", can anybody register those ?

sure, if you pay the $185,000 application fee

•••
1. Will just typing the TLD in the address bar work ?

By registering the TLD ".google", domains like "search.google" and "maps.google" will be possible. But will just tying "google" in the address bar be possible, to open the Google page ?

I should think the new custom TLD's will work exactly like the existing TLD's we use today.

When i type any string without a suffix in my chrome browser address bar I get a google page containing search results for that string.

Address bars are taking on this new functionality supported by search engines depending on which browser/add-on's are used.

Last edited:
•••
I hear all this talk about the new TLD's but does anybody know when they will actually be available?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back