IT.COM

.mobi Question about .mobi's

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Are they just like .net, .com, etc? I've never seen one, so maybe I thought it was different... Are they worth registering?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You won't be able to get your hands on a .mobi for another couple of months. The pre-registration period for trademark owners just recently opened.

•••
Huh? How come eurodomains, and other places are accepting registrations right now?

•••
To the best of my knowledge that is just for people asserting trademark rights. I don't think .mobi opens to the general public until the end of August.

•••
weird extention !!
Guys do u know where i can find all the level 1 extentions i mean not .xxx.xxx i need a list of just .xxx
Do u know where can i find that ?

•••
.mobi something is wrong, .mobi not?

The sunrise period for Industry on .mobi just ended last week. Only companies in the mobile device industry were supposed to have been able to register. Today begins the sunrise period for trademark holders.
So today why is www.restaurants.mobi already registered and parked at sedo????
Is there a mobile device company named Restaurants Mobile Inc?
Sumfin is very wrong.

Last edited:
•••
jganders said:
The sunrise period for Industry on .mobi just ended last week. Only companies in the mobile device industry were supposed to have been able to register. Today begins the sunrise period for trademark holders.
So today why is www.restaurants.mobi already registered and parked at sedo????
Is there a mobile device company named Restaurants Mobile Inc?
Sumfin is very wrong.
Maybe it's a curbside restaurant w/ mobi waitresses on roller skates.
:hehe:

Seriously,though. I'm, particularly, interested in .mobi and will look more into the specifics and try to figure out what the justification could have been to even, allow this registration to occur. TM is out and if it was a legit mobile industry business, it wouldn't be parked at Sedo. It appears that someone, somewhere in the mobile industry is breaking the rules and using their priveleged position for personal gain. I hope this is only an isolated incident but, alas, even a single hole in the dam, brings the structural integrity of the entire dam into question. Sh~~~t! I hate to see this.

•••
Oh dear. I wasn't going to reg any of these but when I was doing a mass try for different names with different extensions I found some that would be nice with the .mobi. Now...I guess with what is going on...that they probably won't be available when the general public gets to reg. :(

There is no reason why a legit restaurant company would park a .mobi domain at sedo. They would be developing it.

•••
As soon as .mobi's are available, just start registering the names like crazy before the good ones are taken. :)

•••
I dunno. Tim Berners-Lee fought against .mobi tooth and nail. (see http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/TLD). Seems like there are plenty of people who think this tld will fail. Plus, its very expensive.

•••
restaurants.modi trademarked in Europe

Turns out restaurants.mobi was registered on the first day of trademark sunrise by an internet marketing firm out of Belgium. They have a trademark on the word 'restaurants'.
Can you believe that!

•••
jganders said:
Turns out restaurants.mobi was registered on the first day of trademark sunrise by an internet marketing firm out of Belgium. They have a trademark on the word 'restaurants'.
Can you believe that!
No. Well, than again, yes. As the corporitization of the world economy continues to grow at a rate that is proportional to the decline of the individual's freedom, I can envision a time when corporations will own the usage rights of most of the popular generic words that we use to communicate with. Whether or not those usage rights will extend to the conversations that we conduct may be pushing the envelope, a bit, but w/ chip implants, blink technology, nano-neuro research, etc who knows? Maybe 22nd century man will have a variety of skin-implant readers attached to their "frame", including one that keeps track of the words that he uses and w/ the capability of automatically crediting the "word owner's" account based upon his usage. You laugh? This scenario draws upon, roughly, the same logic that is being used to award an internet marketing firm w/ a TM for "restaurants".

I would imagine that the TM is international in scope, right? The TM class is undoutably, highly, restrictive, (ie I doubt if selling the name in the form of a domain on Sedo is included).Nevertheless, it did allow the firm the oppurtunity to circumvet the intent and purpose of the "industry only" sunrise period and enabled them to register the domain name before a company with a legitimate business use had an oppurtunity to register it. Now, if another company wants it, it will cost them about 10K more than it should have.

Tiptoing around and skirting the rules and regs has become such commonplace occurance and the art of exploiting loopholes, is practiced on such a broad scale, and in such an open and blatant manner that, in addition to, being comical, (I mean, regging the name and, immediately, putting it up for sale and/or optimization on Sedo? Give me a break!), these practices are, almost, becoming a model for a legitimate way of doing business. Tomorrows Forbe's and Rockefeller's are taking command as the blundering sheriff looks away, (he's impotent, so what the heck can he do, anyways!), while the independent miner keeps laboring away to survive- finding as much as he can, as fast as he can- and remaining, only, half-oblivious to the forces around him that are chip, chip, chipping away at his claim.

PS I am, definetly, not going to eat at the TM holder's restaurant. However, the idea of a reality TV show with a bunch of internet marketers running around a kitchen, sweating, with their suits in disarray, is appealing.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back