Dynadot

Purchasing an 800 number

NameSilo
Watch

KyleClub

Account Closed
Impact
I know this is a bit off the topic from domains, but I figured that there might be some experience lurking around here somewhere. (for example: PetMeds.com owns 1-800-PET-MEDS)... I want to purchase a vanity (specific) 800 number. It has been my experience that different services control only a certain lot of numbers. So, in order to be successful in finding your specific number, it is best to find the main holder of the numbers (maybe AT&T). Does anyone have any advice on where to start looking? Or just any advice at all? I did call the number and it is not in use. So, I am hoping that means it is available. Big thanks for any advice...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
AFAIK all 800 numbers are taken but a great deal are not connected... they are squatted and unavailable :)
If you want to identify the resporg for a particular number you can call Ameritech Resporg line at (800) 337-4194 and take it from there.

There is a lot of useful information at http://www.tollfreenumbers.com/ too.

I am in a similar situation (trying to buy an existing number) and it's worse than trying to buy a domain from a faceless corporation :)

•••
It says, "800-XXX-XXXX In Use since 2008 with Vanity Intl. (Vanity # Broker to steer clear of!)".

Steer clear of, any idea what this means? Thanks for your help...

•••
Avoid, eschew, run the other way, danger, watch out, caution, be careful, hold on to your wallet, shark infested waters, etc.... :)

If you really want the number you need to find out all you can about the current owner. Then you need to approach them with a 3rd party who can act as your "broker" to negotiate the lowest price and best terms. One of my clients was approached by a broker who wanted him to invest about $500k in a number. He passed, but later heard the broker found someone else and they flipped the number for even bigger money...! Yep, it reminds me a lot about domain names. :)

•••
He did mention he only deals with professionals, lol. A lot of scam post on the guy, too. Thank you for the advice...

•••
Did you know that 855 was recently released as a toll-free extension and many vanity numbers are available? Bill Quimby, the owner of TollFreeNumbers is VERY approachable. If he says the owner is a waste of time then most certainly they are. Before you jump on the vanity # bandwagon try dialing it from a blackberry, you see what I mean?

•••
I think a toll free service provider can better help in finding a desired vanity number. You just need to search on Google to know about the toll free vanity number providers. I did the same when I was looking for a vanity number for my business and it really worked for me.

•••
You can first check to see if your vanity number is available using a toll-free company like Grasshopper or Freedom800 (coincidentally Freedom800 was purchased by GoDaddy). Even though 800's are all taken, there is still 877,855,866,844,855 and the new 833. If you are lucky you can find an 888, which is my favorite.

If the matching 800 number to your domain is taken, chances are you will never get it, toll-free numbers are non-transferrable unless to the same account holder.

•••
I think there is no use of it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back