IT.COM

Purchased a Domain By Mistake and Dynadot Not Going to Issue Refund

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameDrop

Established Member
Impact
Earlier today I did a bulk purchase on Dynadot. geo + keyword in bulk (100 domains) . I selected "All" then I selected "Add & Check Out" which immediately charged me. I did not realize that there was a premium domain as one of the selections which cost me a couple hundred dollars extra!! I immediately contacted Dynadot and explained what happened. They said that I had to buy it and there was nothing they could do. Is this legit?? If I purchase a domain by mistake and immediately contact the registrar to cancel, can they refuse and force me to buy it anyway?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Afternic fast transfer is instant :(

•••
•••
•••
So they can't cancel a sale if you purchased by mistake and you're forced to buy??
Normally, their support is good. If they say no, I think it is :(

I often have 5-15K in credit and I know that these premium could be ordered very fast...I take care but an error could be made...
Using the API you cannot order a premium that's good, otherwise I could have had the problem many time.

•••
They do have a refund policy for normal domains (in certain extensions) if claimed within 5 days. I believe they deduct $3 as a cancellation fee. Not sure if this is applicable for premium names.

No Registrar can force anyone to buy a domain :)
I have many times added domains in checkout, initiated payment process through paypal and then changed my mind (or had payment issues with paypal freezing on firefox). Their system does allow to cancel invoice/order (if you didnt pay yet).

Last edited:
•••
Technically, DynaDot did not "force" you to purchase the domain in question. They showed all available items with prices after you performed bulk search, didn't they?

Reversing the transaction would be the same as allowing endusers to return afternic domains after the purchase... something that is at least not "built in" and is not supposed to happen. If DynaDot elected not to start this - then there is little or nothing you can do... Did you try calling them, asking for manager, etc... ? But a "positve" outcome is unlikely anyway.

Moreover, you still need 99 "normal" domains, as well as your DynaDot account in good state, so a "partial" chargeback is not an option. And, since everything is logged on DynaDot end, your bank would not necessary win a potential chargeback claim. Even if you or they manage to select appropriate chargeback reason which is far from obvious - undelivered product? No, all was delivered. Not authorized purchase? No, you authorized it. Wrong price? No, they promptly showed the price...

•••
It seems they are not forcing you, unfortunately it seems you ordered and paid for the domains.

I feel you, but the title is not correct and you should reflect to present the reality as it is.

•••
Thank you all for your replies. I like Dynadot as well. I've been with them for many years and have thousands of domains with them.

I am just very surprised that they are refusing to issue me a refund on a domain I did not mean to purchase.

•••
Is the premium domain a good one?

You may find that your mistake has a payday

•••
Is the premium domain a good one?

You may find that your mistake has a payday
Lol! Not at all. But it was worth purchasing at the $6.99 special rate they have going right now

•••
Earlier today I did a bulk purchase on Dynadot. geo + keyword in bulk (100 domains) . I selected "All" then I selected "Add & Check Out" which immediately charged me. I did not realize that there was a premium domain as one of the selections which cost me a couple hundred dollars extra!! I immediately contacted Dynadot and explained what happened. They said that I had to buy it and there was nothing they could do. Is this legit?? If I purchase a domain by mistake and immediately contact the registrar to cancel, can they refuse and force me to buy it anyway?
Hello there! Can you send us your order number so we can take a look?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back