NameSilo

Program to bulk/batch process PNGs/JPGs/PSDs to replace one color with another?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have around 4,000 files that have one color scheme (To make it easy, let's say they were all 4,000 different views of the same chess board with wood siding and black and white squares) that I need to change one color in each file (From the white square to a red square for checkers, etc.) around 10 times each. Doing each one of those files individually sounds very painful and I'm looking for a way to do it using Photoshop or similar. I tried out ReaConvertor, which is a great program, but it did not handle the files well in that it did not have the same sensitivity to retaining the underlying texture/light/shadow that Photoshop does, and just lays down a bucket of color.
Any ideas or suggestions? Do you offer this service and want to charge me for it (let me know)?
TIA :gl:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I used ImageMagick to do something like this. I had a bunch of pictures taken from a web cam outside my office, so I took one with noone in the scene and used it as a template to replace stuff in al the others, leaving me with an image set conatining only changes. It was fairly easy to implement, but its been a long time since I've done anything with it. Give that a shot.

Here's what I think you might be looking for: http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/channels/

Last edited:
•••
In my opinion, you could write a script to apply a plug-in on your images. With that, you would not have to worry about anything and let the program handle all work for you. Though, you would have to specify correct instructions so that it will work smoothly. For the plug-ins, you can use ImageJ. It is somewhat based on Java so that would also be relatively easy. I believe scripting would be the more direct step of the two so that would not be a problem also.

•••
There is no one program that could handle that one, but you could write your own scripts to do that for you. You might also want to check out ImageJ, which allows you more control over your images.

It follows the Java programming language which allows you to get hold of each significant component or value for your image. You can then plug that in to a script so that you can automate the function, saving you a lot of time.

•••
You can use Photoshop. Record your actions and thrn run the action on all the files in a folder.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back