IT.COM

Problem solved

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I've been in the game over 20 years now and am not some newbie. I've had my share of bumps and scrapes, and this is by far the worst ever - even worse than infamous "RegisterFly" for those who are even old enough to have lived through that.

On Friday I went through all the normal motions to buy a domain registered at Domain.com and pay the BIN in full via verified PayPal I've been using for years and years, and years. The price was in the $x,xxx's. The domain was also listed with the same BIN at SnapNames, Afternic, and is listed at Sedo. However, the path of least resistance appeared to be just buying it directly at Domain.com itself, where you could (purportedly) do so at the BIN there. So I did. Or so I thought. (No, I will certainly not be saying what the name is.)

Instead of accepting my payment, instead I got an email saying this nonsense:

"It looks like something was amiss with your payment information. We are currently manually reviewing your transaction and we will email you shortly regarding your recent payment for your [redacted] account.

No need to contact us; We will be in contact within 24 hours regarding the next steps."

Needless to say, they most certainly did not contact me. But I tried to contact them through most of the weekend, using their inconvenient and customer-unfriendly chat feature. And all I got was nowhere, they wouldn't even tell me what the *alleged* "something amiss" was to even address it, until finally today one of them told me something ridiculous about IP addresses not matching billing address and such, as if that's even a thing when people do business all over the world, use VPN, have businesses in different locations, and the whole reason why PayPal and credit cards even exist is in large part to enable people to complete transactions no matter where they are, etc. How absurd. No domain industry company has ever done anything so ridiculous in all my 20 plus years, because it makes no sense.

I was not even able to just buy it as any NORMAL transaction would occur on Afternic or SnapNames just to get it done, and the Sedo listing is only make-offer with an asking price, not a BIN option. Domain.com apparently disabled all those other BIN options after my good faith effort to purchase and pay. Ironically, I had originally stated my concern that someone else could buy it while they were doing their "review" for which they originally refused to even tell me what the issue was, during the first chat session.

I had originally almost just bought it as any normal transaction through one of the listings, but I had thought surely it would be good to just buy directly at Domain.com, and I figured it would be nice to try them for the first time too. And was I ever wrong. Absolutely appalling.

If they don't do the right thing and honor the sale and my good faith effort to pay in full I definitely intend to pursue every possible remedy. This has been the worst and most appalling episode regarding such matters of my entire online business life since 2001, and I'm not exactly any newbie or without past bad experiences with dirty tricks and corrupt people and practices in this industry.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As frustrating as it sounds It does make some sense.

By raising the dispute with Paypal. They (paypal) will try to freeze the amount in dispute, if It hasn't been paid-out. This then restricts them (the payee) from issuing the refund or cancelling the transaction until paypal arrive at a decision on the complaint . Without wishing to cause any offence, A lot of this thread reads as if a little bit of patience at several steps may have prevented a lot of subsequent problems.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your reply. Well I definitely wouldn't say that, but I have to run out soon so I can't take time to fully reply now (edit: briefly back now, going out again). Just quickly I received something about an error message from PayPal for a partial refund, which does make sense that PayPal would not allow if the whole amount is under dispute, so right now that is still a question mark to me. (Turns out for the wrong transaction and amount which have nothing to do with me.) But I will reply to you fully when I get back.

Last edited:
•••
Update: before I was about to run out again just got two refund emails from PayPal refunding the total amount and a follow up email from one of the folks at BD. Now the matter does appear to have been solved, so I can change the thread title again, to "Problem solved."

Last edited:
•••
Does this make any sense at all to anyone?

BuyDomains.com has intervened with Domain.com to get them to refund the bad charge to my PayPal account, which unfortunately also cleared with my bank today, so the funds are definitely gone for now.

I had also filed a PayPal dispute.

The "problem" now is that apparently BuyDomains.com has been told something that seems like there's no way it could possibly be true or make any sense at all:

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Does it make any sense at all, that PayPal does not allow the very thing a disputing party is requesting unless the dispute is dropped or cancelled? Is that even the tiniest bit credible or plausible? I've done one or more PayPal disputes before, and have never heard of such a thing, nor does it appear to make even the slightest bit of sense, at all.

Is not BuyDomains.com itself even being lied to by someone at Domain.com, just to get me to cancel the PayPal dispute?

If anyone can prove otherwise - i.e. that it makes any sense at all and is true that PayPal will not even allow a "seller" to refund a charge for which a refund is being sought unless the disputing party drops and cancels the dispute - please show me and let me know.
They are blowing smoke. If they issue you the refund through PayPal the dispute automatically gets closed. Do not close the dispute. Escalate it to a claim if they refuse to immediately issue a refund.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back