Domain Empire

strategy Pricing is Critical With Lease to Own Option at DAN

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

EJS

DomainInvesting.comVIP Member
DomainInvesting.com
Impact
I've debated (internally) whether or not I should offer the lease to own option for my domain names at DAN.com. With that option used, a seller does not give the option to submit an offer for a domain name, which makes setting the right price a critical aspect.

I exchanged emails about this with DAN CEO Reza Sardeha, and he shared some insight about why buyers are not given the "make offer" option: https://domaininvesting.com/with-installments-on-dan-pricing-is-critical/

Of course, your thoughts and insight are invited.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i believe it gives the seller and the buyer a better option in owning the domain. The buyer feels they can afford it more, and the seller can price the domain where they feel its worth more than having to lowball the whole field. It gives more class and more opportunity to the whole field of domaining. ty. :)

•••
Of course, your thoughts and insight are invited.

I've got names with a rent option and some with a payment option along with the 'bin' price.

It can cause a lot of thought on whether to do this or not...the last thing I want to do is lease a top tier domain and have it abused only to be returned beaten and battered...and worth less.

Some businesses would likely use the rent or lease option for the available tax breaks they may receive. I purposely keep my lease to own pricing high and my rental option even higher. If I do not have that option activated on the landing page and the 'make offer' option is active along with the bin, I let them know with my counter offer I can finance or rent if that would suit them better.

I have some at Dan, but I use another marketplace as well and have had successful leasing there.

•••
I've got names with a rent option and some with a payment option along with the 'bin' price.

It can cause a lot of thought on whether to do this or not...the last thing I want to do is lease a top tier domain and have it abused only to be returned beaten and battered...and worth less.

Some businesses would likely use the rent or lease option for the available tax breaks they may receive. I purposely keep my lease to own pricing high and my rental option even higher. If I do not have that option activated on the landing page and the 'make offer' option is active along with the bin, I let them know with my counter offer I can finance or rent if that would suit them better.

I have some at Dan, but I use another marketplace as well and have had successful leasing there.
Yeah, that is always a risk with leasing. When you set up a lease or lease with purchase option using an attorney to draft a custom agreement, you can mitigate some specific risks that may be associated with certain domain names, but I do not think that is possible at DAN. Aside from a handful of names I consider high value, the majority of my listings are standard inventory I can replace easily and am happy to sell or lease.

•••
pricing is always critical. no matter the sale options or the market. :)
this is why selling with bin prices isn't really easy. and why many prefer makeoffer.
its always a gamble. set a bin price too high, scare buyer away. set bin price low enough for buyer to buy, and ask yourself whether he would have paid you more...

•••

This brings up a good point of responsibility and value also. You could get someone that uses it for spam and you would be stuck with a blacklisted domain also. We need some kind of domain insurance for reasons like this or a way for the registrars to know the difference in you owning it and it being leased out. hmmmm.

•••
Hi

I think you can offer a lease option,
whenever you get an inquirer, who feels BIN price is too expensive.
or introduce the possibility during the negotiation after or before they've said "final offer"

doesn't matter what platform, if you're able to communicate with potential buyer.
but as Elliot alluded to, it's good to have legal input to protect your interest.

maybe i'll sell my template :)

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back