Domain Empire

question Premium names with different reg/renewal fees

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I see various registrars charging different reg/renewal fees for "premium" names across different tlds.

As a made up example:
RegularWord.io = $60 standard reg/renewal fee
PremiumWord1.io = $200 premium reg/renewal fee
PremiumWord2.io = $500 premium reg/renewal fee
PremiumWord3.io = $1000 premium reg/renewal fee

1) Who sets these fees - the single registry that owns .io or the different registrars selling the .io?
2) How are the fees set - arbitrarily based on what they think the value/popularity is?
3) Are there situations where the premiums would go back down to the standard reg/renewal fees or do they stay at the premium fees forever?
4) Conversly, are there situations where standard fees get bumped up to the premium fees just because registry decides one year the name is now a premium name and they want to get greedy?

Just wondering if we are at the mercy at however they want to charge annually?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Good question.

(Tuning in to this content)

•••
First, any names that are listed by a domain seller for sale will show up as Premium Names. I hope you are not referring to those.

Because .io doesn't have Registry Premium so far

But some registries (not registrars) charge something called registry premium for names that are popular.

The money goes to the registry,

eg: Any .co with more than 30-40 extensions taken in the deleted lists will have a registry premium of $100 or so. 3L.co will have $1000 registry premium. But they all have standard renewals. Again set by the registry.

Some Registries also have Premium Renewals like the renewals can also be anywhere from $100 to $5000 or even more.

•••
thank you for this information.

•••
First, any names that are listed by a domain seller for sale will show up as Premium Names. I hope you are not referring to those.

Because .io doesn't have Registry Premium so far

But some registries (not registrars) charge something called registry premium for names that are popular.

The money goes to the registry,

eg: Any .co with more than 30-40 extensions taken in the deleted lists will have a registry premium of $100 or so. 3L.co will have $1000 registry premium. But they all have standard renewals. Again set by the registry.

Some Registries also have Premium Renewals like the renewals can also be anywhere from $100 to $5000 or even more.

Using your terms:
Correct, I'm referring to those owned by the registry not by domain reseller.
So registry can set whatever registry premium and premium renewal they want?
Does the registry ever adjust the premium renewal up or down once a buyer registers it or the is premium renewal always the same at whatever one initially bought for?

P.S. I don't think .com has registry premiums/premium renewals either does it?

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for providing this information.

•••
The keywords are matched against what is searched previously sold or what ever equation ranking system like estimation tools they are not entirely or near correct making some things look expensive and don't always have human touch but they did serve purpose. Now your job is to find the underrated domains. Then even with a premium name seo is not handed on a platter you need to make content like everyone else but have less junk blocking keywords.

Last edited:
•••
Using your terms:
Correct, I'm referring to those owned by the registry not by domain reseller.
So registry can set whatever registry premium and premium renewal they want?
Does the registry ever adjust the premium renewal up or down once a buyer registers it or the is premium renewal always the same at whatever one initially bought for?

P.S. I don't think .com has registry premiums/premium renewals either does it?
No. Dot coms don't have reg premium.

But registry can set whatever price they wish. usually the renewals are grandfathered in. meaning they don't usually tell you that you need to start paying premium renewal next year, but It doesn't mean it is impossible.

I have a few TLDs where there is premium renewal on even worse names, so just to be safe, I have renewed them 5 tyears out lol

•••
FYI i just found out my LL.tv has a $120 a year renewal

•••
FYI i just found out my LL.tv has a $120 a year renewal
Was it standard and changed to "premium" or it was "premium" with a cheaper renewal?

•••
thats what i am trying ot find out, i bought it on the aftermarket, and it was renewed til 2023 when it was pushed to me. my position if is the reenwal was set already, then its on me to due the due diligence:

BUT

for new gtlds (this is a cctld) they are supposed to tel you they are starting premium renewals, and you are either grandfathered, or can buy up to 10 years at the old rate

page

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back