Dynadot

opinion Premium craziness and backorder

NameSilo
Watch

Berserker

Restricted (Proxy Risk)
Impact
I see a lot of extensions going into a "premium" craziness. Everything short and everything being a dictionary word now becomes premium, and often pretty expensive. This seems to change a little things, doesn't it? One recent example among others: kub.co is a great domain which expired recently. It's an especially great name as it's related to "kubernetes", a container system quite popular and gaining traction.

The registration is "premium" and of more than $1000 everywhere. Meaning that I would have been advised to contact the previous owner, propose him $500 and have him NOT let the domain expire!?

There seem to be 2 different schools when it comes to premium: There are the registries jacking up the registration price with a normal renewal price and the ones jacking both prices up. For the first ones, it seems to encourage the selling (and buying!) of names before expiration, and not let them expire. It also kills the backorder game. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
At this moment the domain is a "registry premium domain", available at 1.150 USD .
But renewal is at 22 USD or so.(some ask for .co renewals 35 USD).
LLL.CO domains that are priced "premium" on many marketplaces priced higher and sold by persons or companies (or used or parked).
It can be that these are for the registry "registry premium" if these drop, or not registry premium when these drop (I mean after these drops it can be that the price is low; but this nearly doesn't happen anymore). It depends and there are SOME TRICKS to know if a LLL.CO is registry premium or not.
In any case : how you buy it is not important for renewals : Renewals stay for LLL.CO normal renewalpricing.

(Note : in SOME aftermarketauctions domains seem to have bids till 100 USD, and suddenly, you can't bid anymore, because the owner at that time renewed his domain). So the 100 USD you see in the aftermarketauction doesn't reflect the actual value of these domain.

•••
It's true that everyone likes shorter domains

It is true that now a variety of extensions cause domain investors bring a lot of trouble.It is not just the choice of extensions, but also the price of renewal

•••
This is how industry works. Any domain that is readable and has been held for long time are most likely caught by registrars and then auctioned.

•••
This is how industry works. Any domain that is readable and has been held for long time are most likely caught by registrars and then auctioned.
Bro, he is talking about registries not registrars

•••
Doesn't matter. Registry does the same. Example badcredit.loans is back to Donuts after drop.

•••
At this moment the domain is a "registry premium domain", available at 1.150 USD .
But renewal is at 22 USD or so.(some ask for .co renewals 35 USD).
LLL.CO domains that are priced "premium" on many marketplaces priced higher and sold by persons or companies (or used or parked).
It can be that these are for the registry "registry premium" if these drop, or not registry premium when these drop (I mean after these drops it can be that the price is low; but this nearly doesn't happen anymore). It depends and there are SOME TRICKS to know if a LLL.CO is registry premium or not.
In any case : how you buy it is not important for renewals : Renewals stay for LLL.CO normal renewalpricing.

(Note : in SOME aftermarketauctions domains seem to have bids till 100 USD, and suddenly, you can't bid anymore, because the owner at that time renewed his domain). So the 100 USD you see in the aftermarketauction doesn't reflect the actual value of these domain.

Any LLL if expire & some reason not possible to be catch is back to registry & put on sale as premium no matter combination - same thing with premium keywords , same is doing by Neustar with LLL biz , NNN , biz probably will do the same soon with .us , recently Afillias do the same with .info & guess with .pro

Last edited:
•••
Any LLL if expire & some reason not possible to be catch is back to registry & put on sale as premium no matter combination - same thing with premium keywords , same is doing by Neustar with LLL biz , NNN , biz probably will do the same soon with .us , recently Afillias do the same with .info & guess with .pro
I'm 100% sure that some domains LLL.Co are not registry premium, anddon't become registry premium if they drop. But you have to know a trick which ones that are.
However : Because the high of demand usually LLL.CO don't actuallly drop and when such domains are going to drop, people are backorderring (I mean the not-registry premium LLL.Co's) are sold in Aftermarkets.

•••
I'm 100% sure that some domains LLL.Co are not registry premium, anddon't become registry premium if they drop. But you have to know a trick which ones that are.
However : Because the high of demand usually LLL.CO don't actuallly drop and when such domains are going to drop, people are backorderring (I mean the not-registry premium LLL.Co's) are sold in Aftermarkets.
That is the point registry considering all LLL premium

•••
But you have to know a trick which ones that are.
Yes, there are 2 problems right now:
1) Knowing the renewal prices as some are "premium" and higher than the normal price. This is sometimes shown in auctions or elsewhere, but often it is not.

and 2) As you say, know if a domain will be premium or not if it can be registered again (dropping / expiring). Most registries (doing premium) also have different level of "premium", some quite cheap, some pretty expensive, and everything in between. I don't believe there is any mechanism right now to check the prices of an unavailable domain (to solve the question: Let it expire and try to backorder it, or go try to get it from the current owner?). At least, none that I know of.

Last edited:
•••
I've backordered a couple of .co and the estimated price is the standard registration but my backordering provider says that this is only an "estimated price" and the price may change. How can I be sure that when these domains will drop they will not be registry premium?
If I don't know, backordering ngTLDs and .cos may be risky. What do you advice?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back