IT.COM

Post your funny domaining stories

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
A few years ago I had someone email me about a domain. So as usual I do a little research on them and come across his Twitter, which states "domain squatters should be shot." Obviously in reference to the domain he wanted that I have. So I wait a couple days and reply something like "Sorry for the delay. I was in the hospital. I got shot."

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Several years ago a guy emails me asking if on a certain date I can put a sign up on one of the domains I own that reads:

Happy Birthday Lucile!
Love John

I replied with a price for the domain (low xxxx) or a leasing fee. Few minutes later my phone rings!

He calls me and explains that hes broke, he lost lot's of money trying to set a retail business up for his wife, and now shes driving him insane that she wants to start an online business and likes the domain I have. He said he knows nothing will come of it, and if he buys the domain it will just sit there.

Instead he said her birthday is coming up and if I can just put up the Happy Birthday sign on the site and leave it there for a few days, she will think it's hers and it will save him lots of money and heartache, money he said he simply doesn't have.

I felt bad, I put the sign up (more like plain text with an image of hearts), left it up there a week or so and haven't heard from him since.

•••
Not sure if this falls under "funny" or not but I thought it was...

Not too long ago I thought of a domain that would be perfect for the online business I wanted to start. Of course when I checked it was already registered and parked. The domain was about to expire in about a month so I contacted the owner and offered him $250 (well more than what the domain was worth) for it.

The owner writes back with "This domain is for sale for $XX,XXX!"

I didn't reply and checked a month later and seen that he let the domain expire. When it became available I registered it using a GoDaddy coupon code for $0.99 cents.

•••
Have memorable niche domain I registered a long time ago to build a site but never got around to developing it. Received an email from a guy who explained what he wanted to do with the site and included the fact that he didn't approve of the whole money for domains thing because it was wrong and capitalism was perverting the blah blah blah blah blah blah.

My reply was that based on his email I didn't think we'd be able to come to a price - didn't even bother listing a price or haggling. I knew my time would be wasted.

Love those people: "It's wrong to charge me money for something I want. It has a value to me, but if it has a value for you and you want to be compensated for that value, then it's bad. I should just get it because I'm good for wanting the object and you're bad for wanting money for that object".

•••
Not sure if this falls under "funny" or not but I thought it was...

Not too long ago I thought of a domain that would be perfect for the online business I wanted to start. Of course when I checked it was already registered and parked. The domain was about to expire in about a month so I contacted the owner and offered him $250 (well more than what the domain was worth) for it.

The owner writes back with "This domain is for sale for $XX,XXX!"

I didn't reply and checked a month later and seen that he let the domain expire. When it became available I registered it using a GoDaddy coupon code for $0.99 cents.

only thing you should of done is after you registered it is to email him and say:

After careful consideration my partner and I decided to pay your asking price of XX,XXX for the domain *****.com. Please let me know how to proceed.

He might of ended up emailing you to see if you wanna sell lol and that time you can quote him X,XXX,XXX hahaaa

•••
Love those people: "It's wrong to charge me money for something I want. It has a value to me, but if it has a value for you and you want to be compensated for that value, then it's bad. I should just get it because I'm good for wanting the object and you're bad for wanting money for that object".

Usually the same kind of people that want to raise the minimum wage to $15 / hour...

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

only thing you should of done is after you registered it is to email him and say:

After careful consideration my partner and I decided to pay your asking price of XX,XXX for the domain *****.com. Please let me know how to proceed.

He might of ended up emailing you to see if you wanna sell lol and that time you can quote him X,XXX,XXX hahaaa

Yea, that would have been funny... LOL

•••
I think this describes 85% of end users.

•••
Couple months ago I received an email from a tourism bureau representing the area (a real tourism hotspot) for a nice geo domain I own, they wanted to buy my dot.com. They had been using a diluted domain for years as their website. For example (made up names) I own BannenLake.com and they own VisitBannenLakeToday.com.

I asked them to make their best offer. (Keep in mind this is a tourist hotspot and the domain should be worth in the 10 - 20k range.) They replied excitedly Thank you so much, this means a lot to us, we'll take the url for $100.

I replied Oops, I paid $1K years ago for this domain, and thought you would offer at least in the mid x,xxx range for it. Then they said they only planned to forward it to their existing website, they didn't even want it to develop.

Ha ha. I still have the name, obviously.

Okay, it's not a hilarious story, but it's the funniest I got, to do with domains :)

Last edited:
•••
I replied Oops, I paid $1K years ago for this domain, and thought you would offer at least in the mid x,xxx range for it. Then they said they only planned to forward it to their existing website, they didn't even want it to develop.

They didn't want to develop it - they were just going to point it to an already developed site, so it's not like they had a use for it. They were just taking it off your hands out of pity.

I don't know why people need to include "how we're going to use this domain if we get it" in the requests. I only care about that if you're offering me shares in your company in exchange for the domain name. Otherwise when you're the one contacting me all I care about is the dollar figure.

•••
While I had listed one domain here at NP with price of $20, I received an email from end user. I instantly deleted it from here and sold it to end user for solid $xxxx :)

•••
-del-

Last edited:
•••
While I had listed one domain here at NP with price of $20, I received an email from end user. I instantly deleted it from here and sold it to end user for solid $xxxx :)

That is what some resellers here need to see and learn from.

Some of the domains listed here are Pure Gold.

All they need is their moment, their stroke of gold, their swing of luck :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back