Dynadot

Possible pitfall with new gTLD-s

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Lead Finder

Established Member
Impact
I came across an interesting chat on a anti-spam tool forum, it seems that the new gTLD-s are getting a bad reputation for spam and that they are widely blocked for email by default. When I say blocked I mean any email coming from the new gTLD is blocked without screening, without regard to whether the email is legitimate or not.

http://vamsoft.com/forum/topic/597/existing-list-of-garbage-new-tld

It seems like a popular practice to block every extension that is longer than 3 letters, so 90% of the new gTLD-s are swept by this filter for emails. It almost seems to be consensus that email originating from the new gTLD-s is all spam, and that these are very unlikely to be legitimate users.

Particular mention was made of the .xyz and .eu extensions, also blocked by default and basically anything that is NOT .com .net .org .info or .biz

Its strange, I have never gotten any spam from any new gTLD the bulk of it comes from Gmail and Yahoo and .com-s but I use gmail and maybe they filter out all the gTLDs too.

I can understand the appeal to spammers, some of the new gTLD-s went literally for pennies, but to the end user this may represent a huge problem when he can not use his site to send emails. It makes you wonder about the future of gTLD if this trend of blocking them for email keeps up.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
This would be an impossible practice as new gTLD's continue to gain traction. Every day, more and more sites are being built on alternative extensions; once enough legitimate messages are found to have been blocked, those companies employing such a filter will have little choice but to revert to more standard anti-spam tools.

•••
It's a real danger, that I've mentioned in another thread.
At some point I have considered blocking .top and .xyz on our mail servers. Because we never ever got a legitimate mail from a .top address anyway, it was always spam. Nobody writes to us using any of those TLDs anyway so the potential damage from blocking them is nil from our POV. But it is devastating on a global scale.

And it's not the only problem.
Many webforms are buggy and will not recognize TLD longer than 3 characters (for example E-mail address) :) Because the coding is based on old logic and flawed regexes :)
Sometimes I'm thinking new extensions are gadgets like IDNs. When you start actually using them in the real world the pitfalls become apparent and you wonder what you're doing...

•••
Yes, many garbage tlds.

.com .net .info .biz .mobi .co are the Big 6 that are worth investing.

•••
.com .net .info .biz .mobi .co are the Big 6 that are worth investing.
.mobi? .biz? You're kidding, right? How do you figure?

•••
•••
since we're sharing opinions on best extensions:

.com
.co
.net

I'd also mention:

couple cheap renewal price cctld like .al .rs... in very short format only.. LL & NN
for their enduser resale potential.

and:

I keep away from ngtld with exception of .one which I find.. interesting for some good single words. cheap renewals.

I'd also personally keep away from:

.org (mostly dead)
.biz (mostly dying)
.info (to be dead later.. mostly)

that'd be my 2 cents.

Last edited:
•••
Experience. And no, I am not kidding.
I'm shocked!! Congratulations.

Maybe you'll like some of these recently dropped .mobi's...

syrup - extracts - chew - costs - wipes - bathtubs - wagon - vikings - eugene - birdie - activist - owens - counters - bullfrog - wallets - flagged - andrews - transcript - homeowner ...... to name a few....

For sh!ts and giggles I just registered Pharmaceuticals.mobi for $7.17. I can't imagine that having names like these available to register is a good sign of .mobi's health and viability as an investment, but I'm glad to hear someone's having success with them. Maybe you're talking about NNN.mobi?

•••
I'm shocked!! Congratulations.

Maybe you'll like some of these recently dropped .mobi's...

syrup - extracts - chew - costs - bathtubs - wagon - vikings - eugene - birdie - activist - owens - counters - bullfrog - wallets - flagged - andrews - transcript - homeowner ...... to name a few....

For sh!ts and giggles I just registered Pharmaceuticals.mobi for $7.17. I can't imagine that having names like these available to register is a good sign of .mobi's health and viability as an investment, but I'm glad to hear someone's having success with them. Maybe you're talking about NNN.mobi?

Indeed, .mobi is the only international, aged, gTLD left that can attract a global audience, passed the MIIT in China, and with boats and boats of sunken treasures and gems in the deep sea. Too many great names in this gtld available at dirt-cheap price. I love all of them.

•••
Indeed, .mobi is the only international, aged, gTLD left that can attract a global audience, passed the MIIT in China, and with boats and boats of sunken treasures and gems in the deep sea. Too many great names in this gtld available at dirt-cheap price. I love all of them.

is nothing wrong in making love to a domain
but in terms of a sale, do your mobi sell? in the keyword 1word format especially.. maybe not huh?

•••
is nothing wrong in making love to a domain
but in terms of a sale, do your mobi sell? in the keyword 1word format especially.. maybe not huh?

OF COURSE they do! Just sold 2 NNN .mobis in the last week. Very happy. I tend to focus on short, and premium keyworded names. Like RRR.mobi, 3888.mobi, 8338.mobi, 238.mobi, etc etc. I have quite a lot! ha ha

•••
OF COURSE they do! Just sold 2 NNN .mobis in the last week. Very happy. I tend to focus on short, and premium keyworded names. Like RRR.mobi, 3888.mobi, 8338.mobi, 238.mobi, etc etc. I have quite a lot! ha ha

yes hahah
thanks.
but I meant to ask about dictionary word mobis... when I said keyword or 1word.

are these a success sometimes too?

cheers

•••
yes hahah
thanks.
but I meant to ask about dictionary word mobis... when I said keyword or 1word.

are these a success sometimes too?

cheers

Yes. Premium keyword names as in like, pay.mobi, loans.mobi, etc etc. You absolutely won't go wrong with that path. Online mobi phone payment. Online loans with a click of a button in mobile phone integrated with your google or icloud account. How brilliant idea is that? That is just one of the idea for a business model. The sky is the limit. Fly high.

•••
•••
0 reported .mobi sales over $500 this year, 0

https://namebio.com/?s=QNxkTMxAzN

Ha ha ha. I love it. There are many transactions happening in worldwide regions, especially in private deals that are not recorded. The less exposed a gtld is, the less competition. I have like, exactly the opposite vision of yours.

When you see one day, .mobi fly high, you will already regret. No more gems available already. Wealth tends to favor the bold, and will only favor the one with a vision. I am not sure what your style of buying names is. You maybe is like the style that likes to buy high, and sell a little bit higher.

But I like to buy way too dirt cheap low, like reg-fee, and sell high, for extreme maximal profit. Maybe you can learn from me.

•••
Ha ha ha. I love it. There are many transactions happening in worldwide regions, especially in private deals that are not recorded. The less exposed a gtld is, the less competition. I have like, exactly the opposite vision of yours.

When you see one day, .mobi fly high, you will already regret. No more gems available already. Wealth tends to favor the bold, and will only favor the one with a vision. I am not sure what your style of buying names is. You maybe is like the style that likes to buy high, and sell a little bit higher.

But I like to buy way too dirt cheap low, like reg-fee, and sell high, for extreme maximal profit. Maybe you can learn from me.

I completely understand that model. But using the same source you can see how over the years the value has dropped. I don't think anybody would debate that, which doesn't go along with - "one day, .mobi fly high, you will already regret." As if we're going to have some .mobi boom in the future.

•••
A 2 letter .mobi couldn't break $500, NNN only in the low 100's

Indeed I am quite sad when I see you are posting this exposing your weakness of knowledge in domain names, and especially the .mobi gtld..... but I am happy to share, and rescue you. I am a savior. I can tell you why. Because all 2 letters .mobi are kept by Afilias the .mobi registry. So how can there be a sale? ha ha ha, I am sorry. That's why bro,

Knowledge is power.

•••
Indeed I am quite sad when I see you are posting this exposing your weakness of knowledge in domain names, and especially the .mobi gtld..... but I am happy to share, and rescue you. I am a savior. I can tell you why. Because all 2 letters .mobi are kept by Afilias the .mobi registry. So how can there be a sale? ha ha ha, I am sorry. That's why bro,

Knowledge is power.

I'll give you that, I don't pay much attention to crap extensions like .mobi. for the reason I gave in my last post.

Share some of that knowledge, tell me why .mobi will get better in the future from where it is now. Tell the people why it will "fly high" one day.

And based on response below, no reasons could be found.

Last edited:
•••
Share some of that knowledge, tell me why .mobi will get better in the future from where it is now. Tell the people why it will "fly high" one day.

You will find out why one day B-)

But when that day comes, you are already too late D-:.

The boat has already sailed off the harbor.

•••
This thread is about nTLDs and spam...
Your ".mobi power" is irrelevant here.

•••
nokia.mobi is still active ))

•••
@tekz999 As long as we're here, why don't you provide us all some of your .mobi wisdom? 'I feel it' quite doesn't do it.

Failed brands (.mobi being one of them in this context) don't rebirth that often. In fact, can not think any that has (except for Apple; .mobi isn't Apple).

Pleae give us your thoughts why .mobi would suddenly gain traction. And again, 'because I've been doing this for a while' isn't the answer we're looking for. And if that's your only reasoning, well, there goes your...

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back