Dynadot

Please fix these issues with Afternic landing pages

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Maged Khatab

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

TLDR; If you're outside the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand, please try opening any of the following domains "or any of your domains if parked with NS5 & NS6 Nameservers on Afternic" and confirm if the price is presented correctly or not, also notice the phone number if it changes to another number if you refresh the page. Please comment below with a screenshot & your country/region name if possible.

Example domains:

vforce .co
skeleton .io
webdevs .co
trymetafi .com

In the past few weeks, I've noticed 2 issues in the layout of landing pages using the following Name Servers:

ns5.afternic.com
ns6.afternic.com

*The following issues are affecting regions outside the US and UK, and they happen for all domains on Afternic using NS5 & NS6 Nameservers, all devices, browsers, and viewports.

1-
The space between the dollar sign $ and the price is shifting the price to the following line. Please note this happens for all domains using the above Nameservers after a refresh or after the cookies are stored.

2- if you open a new incognito window or cleared-browser-cash window, and then open a domain, the first load of the page is using a phone number starting with +1 and if you refresh it or open another domain "after the cookies stored" then the number changes based on the region/ip address, and also the price isn't presented correctly.

*Please check the attachments for examples with more details.

The issues occur mainly in parts of Europe, South America, Asia, and the Middle East including the Gulf countries.

All tests are made in incognito mode with a new cleared-cash browser window

Possible solutions:

1-
Regarding the price presentation issue, I don't know how the backend works on your side, but if this helps I believe the solution would be tracking the source code on what is presented on the landing page/s based on the IP address of the visitor and deleting the space between the currency variable and the price variable in all versions "for all countries" of this landing page.

2- Regarding the phone number change after a reload, you may double-check that the phone number is fetched from the database correctly before the cookies are stored and the phone number is presented again after a reload based location "IP address" of the customer.

3- You may revert back to the old NS5 &NS6 landing pages, they were flawless and even better designed! and matching the current GoDaddy themes & colors.

*Please note that I've contacted Afternic support over the past 3 weeks and at first they told me it's fixed and when I stated that it isn't they told me that I'm the only one complaining here! and nobody has reported these issues to them.

Though these kinds of issues are not fatal, they're also not professional nor consistent with a big company like GoDaddy, and I'm afraid they might even affect the conversion rate.

If you're outside the US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand, please try opening any of the following domains "or any of your domains if parked with NS5 & NS6 Nameservers on Afternic" and confirm if the price is presented correctly or not, also notice the phone number if it changes to another number if you refresh the page. Please comment below with a screenshot & your country/region name if possible.

Example domains:

vforce .co
skeleton .io
webdevs .co
trymetafi .com

I hope these issues get solved ASAP.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Maged

@GoDaddy @James Iles

Attachments

• Selection_002.png
    Selection_002.png
    233.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Selection_003.png
    Selection_003.png
    179.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Selection_004.png
    Selection_004.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Selection_005.png
    Selection_005.png
    158.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Selection_001.png
    Selection_001.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GD website has a major issue with countries where no separate GEO+Language is selectable (small countries mostly).

In particular, if the country is in Spanish-speaking South America, then the visitors are forwarded to mexican version with ".mx" everywhere (such as promos-offers) and, most notably, the default currency would be Mexican Peso (unknown outside Mexico!). One would expect US/USD$$$/Spanish lander. Even dollarized countries (Panama and Ecuador) are presented with prices in mexican pesos!

Similarly, small countries on the other side of the globe are forwarded to British version with English (ok, no issues here) and British Pounds. One would expect USD or Euros to begin with.

Also, naturally, the shown support phones are from Mexico and UK in these cases.

I am unsuccessfully trying to escalate these issues with GD for years.

ns5/ns6 afternic landers, since they are located on GD website, are affected in aspects of phones shown. Based on my last test (overseas-->UK forwarding), the lander currency may be USD, which is fine, but the phone would be shown from UK and without their +44 country code - so the non-UK visitor would not understand what country he is supposed to call to.

Last edited:
•••
GD website has a major issue with countries where no separate GEO+Language is selectable (small countries mostly).

In particular, if the country is in Spanish-speaking South America, then the visitors are forwarded to mexican version with ".mx" everywhere (such as promos-offers) and, most notably, the default currency would be Mexican Peso (unknown outside Mexico!). One would expect US/USD$$$/Spanish lander. Even dollarized countries (Panama and Ecuador) are presented with prices in mexican pesos!

Similarly, small countries on the other side of the globe are forwarded to British version with English (ok, no issues here) and British Pounds. One would expect USD or Euros to begin with.

Also, naturally, the shown support phones are from Mexico and UK in these cases.

I am unsuccessfully trying to escalate these issues with GD for years.

ns5/ns6 afternic landers, since they are located on GD website, are affected in aspects of phones shown. Based on my last test (overseas-->UK forwarding), the lander currency may be USD, which is fine, but the phone would be shown from UK and without their +44 country code - so the non-UK visitor would not understand what country he is supposed to call to.
This is a whole different issue. However, I completely agree with you on this. It would be better if we had a fixed currency US Dollar/Euro/GBP across all regions based on seller preferences. But since this is not the case with how prices are handled over GoDaddy so I can't argue with this.

On the other side, the issues I've mentioned above are NOT happening with small countries with low conversions, take for example the screenshots hereunder from Dubai and Germany.

Take for example this scenario for what's shown to a customer from Dubai, UAE:

1- A UAE/Dubai based customer opened a domain using NS5 & NS6 Nameservers, the price is presented well and the phone number is +1 480 XXX XXXX , the customer called this phone number for an inquiry.

2- Next day the customer opened the same link but the price is not presented well and the phone number just changed to + 44 XXXX XXX "because the server is fetching the IP address of the customer and showing the right phone number only after the cookies are stored!".

If you're the type of person who's vigilant and put yourself in the customer's shoes. you'll definitely think something is wrong here, most probably one version of this page might be a scam, and will most likely walk away!

Another example is the same domain opened from Germany, no problem with the phone number but the price is not presented properly!

These kinds of issues need to be addressed and solved ASAP. Thank you!

Attachments

• Selection_001.png
    Selection_001.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Selection_002.png
    Selection_002.png
    49.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Selection_003.png
    Selection_003.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
•••
They all display like this for me in Australia:
1679972258101.png

After refreshing, it displays exactly the same.
And it displays exactly the same whether using a standard Chrome window, or Incognito.

•••
They all display like this for me in Australia:
Show attachment 234616

After refreshing, it displays exactly the same.
And it displays exactly the same whether using a standard Chrome window, or Incognito.

Thank you for sharing this. I'm using VPN to test these issues in different regions and I can confirm the same. Landing pages are working flawlessly in US, Canada, UK, Australia, and New Zealand.

The issues occur mainly in parts of Europe, South America, Asia, and the Middle East including the Gulf countries.

As per my test, some of the affected countries are Germany, France, UAE, India, Peru, and more... Anyone residing in any of these countries or others is welcome to share their experience. Thank you!

•••
I am in somewhat exotic country now (not selectable in the bottom list of GD main website), routed to British godaddy version with GBP pounds (!!!), and ns5/ns6 landers do show UK phone without a country code. So, everything is broken (except the currency on sales lander, which is, fortunately, US$). Landers are formatted ok though (from desktop)

•••
I am in somewhat exotic country now (not selectable in the bottom list of GD main website), routed to British godaddy version with GBP pounds (!!!), and ns5/ns6 landers do show UK phone without a country code. So, everything is broken (except the currency on sales lander, which is, fortunately, US$). Landers are formatted ok though (from desktop)
Thank you for sharing your experience. Another thing I don't understand about the chosen currency in landing pages is when I tested Germany it showed the landing page in German language and € Euro pricing "which is what you expect".

On the other hand, the same landing page tested in France showed in English language and $ US Dollar pricing!
It seems like some countries' landing pages are randomly optimized!

Last edited:
•••
some countries are randomly optimized
my godaddy account manager recently stated that the ns5/ns6 sales landers are now multilingual. One would therefore expect reasonable translation coverage on ns5/ns6, at least French is a popular language. Would be useful to test also from lets say French-speaking parts of Canada or Switzerland. Also, what would be shown in above-mentioned UAE case if Arabic is selected as preferred browser language. GD main website appears to be localized in these cases.

•••
my godaddy account manager recently stated that the ns5/ns6 sales landers are now multilingual. One would therefore expect reasonable translation coverage on ns5/ns6, at least French is a popular language. Would be useful to test also from lets say French-speaking parts of Canada or Switzerland. Also, what would be shown in above-mentioned UAE case if Arabic is selected as preferred browser language. GD main website appears to be localized in these cases.
My VPN doesn't support a speaking-french city in Switzerland to test from my side, but I've tried Zurich, and here under the results for Zürich, Switzerland, and Montreal, Québec, Canada:

- Zürich, Switzerland: No problem with the phone number, German Language, and the price is not displayed correctly ❌

- Montreal, Québec, Canada: No problem with the phone number, English Language, and the price is displayed correctly ✅

- For Dubai, UAE, if I changed the language to Arabic, No changes, it would show the same result here:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/pl...h-afternic-landing-pages.1298463/post-8881153

BTW, All tests are made in incognito mode with a new cleared-cash browser window.

Attachments

• Switzerland01.png
    Switzerland01.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Quebec02.png
    Quebec02.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Quebec01.png
    Quebec01.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Switzerland02.png
    Switzerland02.png
    178.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
•••
Hey @Maged Khatab, thanks for the detailed look at this. I did notice this a week or so ago, and have requested the team to look at it. It doesn't affect a customer's purchase of a domain, but it's definitely something that can be presented better.

•••
Hey @Maged Khatab, thanks for the detailed look at this. I did notice this a week or so ago, and have requested the team to look at it. It doesn't affect a customer's purchase of a domain, but it's definitely something that can be presented better.
Thank you for addressing the above issues. I hope they're solved ASAP. Regards.

•••
Hi @James Iles, It's almost a month now with no changes, same bugs with even new ones.

Current bugs with NS5 & NS6 landing pages:

1- Price miss-positioned after a refresh "after cookies are stored on browser".
2- Phone number changes after a refresh "after cookies are stored on browser".
3- Random messed-up CSS style colors "New bug".
4- Super slow domain resolving on Firefox "New bug".

The first two bugs occur mainly in parts of Europe, South America, Asia, and the Middle East including the Gulf countries, and the last two new bugs occur randomly in all regions.

All tests are made in incognito mode with a new cleared-cash browser window and they happen for all domains on Afternic using NS5 & NS6 Nameservers on all devices, browsers, and viewports.

I hope these bugs will be fixed in the upcoming updates you've mentioned in the Afternic thread. Thank you!

Edit: Bug #3 happens randomly also with NS3 & NS4 landing pages "check attachments please".

Attachments

• Af-new-bugs.png
    Af-new-bugs.png
    87.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Af-css-ns3ns4.png
    Af-css-ns3ns4.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
•••
Hi @James Iles, It's almost a month now with no changes, same bugs with even new ones.

Current bugs with NS5 & NS6 landing pages:

1- Price miss-positioned after a refresh "after cookies are stored on browser".
2- Phone number changes after a refresh "after cookies are stored on browser".
3- Random messed-up CSS style colors "New bug".
4- Super slow domain resolving on Firefox "New bug".

The first two bugs occur mainly in parts of Europe, South America, Asia, and the Middle East including the Gulf countries, and the last two new bugs occur randomly in all regions.

All tests are made in incognito mode with a new cleared-cash browser window and they happen for all domains on Afternic using NS5 & NS6 Nameservers on all devices, browsers, and viewports.

I hope these bugs will be fixed in the upcoming updates you've mentioned in the Afternic thread. Thank you!

Edit: Bug #3 happens randomly also with NS3 & NS4 landing pages "check attachments please".

Hi Maged, thanks for the update. It's a different team that is responsible for landing pages. But from my system, I can see it is being worked on at the moment. No ETA on that.

For 3 & 4, I'll call these out to the team. I appreciate your diligence here, Maged!

•••
Hi @James Iles, please, report the following new bugs to the correspondent team:

1- Domains not resolving randomly with the error message "504 Gateway Time-out".
2- All domains using the "BIN landing pages" don't have favicon
download.png

For more details, please, check the attached screenshots.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Af-BIN-Landing-bugs01.png
    Af-BIN-Landing-bugs01.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Af-BIN-Landing-bugs02.png
    Af-BIN-Landing-bugs02.png
    86.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back