Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Domain_Stir

Established Member
Impact
a. Why did you acquire the domain?
- Honestly, it was a tangential search. I was looking into some marketable trends (vaping and smoking devices) and came across terms in different languages. I own Hooka.io so I started looking for pipes and stumbled across pipa.io. After researching it I found how versatile a term it was and felt I couldn’t wait to snatch it up and use it for a future project.

b. Which market did you feel the name would be best suited in?

- No Clue. It is pretty universal. Has relevance in multiple languages and meanings cover the gamut of:
  • Music (Chinese cultural instrument, Pipa), and a Flute in some language.
  • US Intellectual Property Rights (Protect IP Act) Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act or PIPA
  • Canadian Privacy Law
  • Project Management field of study (Participatory impact pathways analysis)
  • Smoking Pipe
  • Kite (Portuguese)
  • Wine Barrel or Cask (ie alcohol storage)
  • Has slang connotations in a few cultures also
  • Arguably the hotter of the two Middleton sisters, Pippa (British Royalty)
c. What research did you conduct prior to purchasing the domain?
- See above

d. Did you already have a value in mind for reselling to an end-user and/or reseller?

- No, figured I would let market forces determine this.

e. Does the domain get any traffic? (Please provide screenshot proof)

- Yes. Avg 60-70 uniques per month with listing it only. No marketing or promotion. This is the first message board I've sought inquiry.

f. Does the domain generate any revenue? (Please provide screenshot proof)

- No real monetization except parking at Sedo.

g. What is the age of the domain?

- 3 months

h. Is there anything else you can provide that might help an appraiser not familiar with your domains target market?

- Pipa.net is listed at $57,200 usd (Sedo and Afternic)
  • .net is requesting 10k minimum offer
  • .net Listing price increased by 12k once I listed its io brethren J
  • .net Received 0 traffic and 0 bids in 3 month period

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thoughts? Any knee-jerk responses? Feedback of (almost) any kind?

•••
•••
•••
last try. I'm getting traffic to the domain so I'm really interested in hearing any conversation on the subject. Fairly new to this but I think I have a few that might be valuable and seeking a little feeback.

The other I am wondering about is GoY.io. Just like any acronym/abbreviation it has a ton of meanings but the the most apparent is Game of the Year! I've listed it as well and getting a lot of traffic without any promotion. Wondering how to account for that with having domains that are only months old. I know usually that is a negative thing. Apparently its not always a bad thing. Please someone shed a little experiential knowledge with a brother?

Thanks in advance!

•••
Hello Domain_Stir,

Welcome to NamePros.

Perhaps the reason you are not getting much response on your appraisal request is because the dot io sales are relatively few and far between.

Here are some examples of recent sales.
3LLL https://namebio.com/?s==cDO4ETN0UTM
4LLLL https://namebio.com/?s==gTO4ETN0UTM

Why your newly reg'd domains are getting traffic, I have no idea.

What I can help you with is how to navigate the Forum, and how to find some valuable information that may help you before you start registering any more domains.

We have many resources that are designed to help you get started:

Domain Name Discussions is the most popular place in the entire industry to discuss domains with domainers and ask questions.

Additionally, the following guides will help you navigate the marketplace to sell your domains:
  • The Marketplace Guide will help you with listing your domains for sale on NamePros.
  • The Domain Name Listing Guide will help explain the different sections on NamePros for domain sales and how to use them.
  • The Auction Guide will help walk you through starting an auction on NamePros.
Last but not least, please check out our brief welcome guide that shows you all the great resources we have on NamePros:

NamePros Resources Guide

Please feel free to contact us anytime if you need anything. I'm always happy to help and answer any questions that you may have.

I look forward to seeing you around!

Peace,
Kenny

•••
Thanks Kenny! And I appreciate the response. I'm new to posting in the forum but I've been researching trends in io for a good while and that's why I was asking about these two. Pipa.io and GoY.io are both getting unique hits without advertising or monetizing so I was wondering that might fit into any metric/valuations. It's odd and I'm noticing more traffic on my 3-4 letter .io's these two are just getting noticeable amount.

•••
I have found .io domain names to be hit or miss. Sold a 3L .io for $125 - but then another went in a non-reserve auction for only $17. For brandable name .io you may need to sit on them for a long time before the right offer comes in. Good luck!

•••
Thanks or the response Kpep. I've sold a few over the past couple months and I'm averaging between 299 and 399 for my .io so far. I'm kind of a part time wordsmith for now but hopefully things pick up. I'm not pressing the sales. Im more or less treating it like real estate and just planting seeds here and there. I'm just wondering if the traffic to these sites means high visibility and decent sales potential. Just hard with limited comp data out there.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back