Dynadot

Pinterest fights Chinese cyber-squatter

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Cyber-squatting has been around for years but one Chinese man has especially aggressive in grabbing the names of popular US start-ups like Square and Etsy. More troubling for the companies, the man is also filing for trademarks.

Read More
Credits: Jeff John Roberts @ gigaom.com

I think it's pretty disturbing what is happening with squatters. How is it that in this day and age it's so hard to protect ones mark in different countries? I guess I'm just so sick and tired of these people giving us all a black eye in the public interest.

Blake

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some companies choose to file for a TM only in their home country, as the cost of doing it "world wide" is too high in most cases.

•••
have you seen some of the names they are trying to make cliam to.....lmao!

•••
Pinterest.de...he will lose this unless he is a resident or has a company in Germany what i don't believe...(even with the proxy services a lot of registrars are offering it is not certain that he can keeps this when a big company makes waves about it :)

cheers

liquid

•••
As I was reading your post today Blake I saw on CNN that Chinese use 25 percent of the world's luxury goods and by 2050 they 're predicting that number will reach 75 percent for the entire Asian market.

It s not surprising that they are registering coach this coach that and Gucci this and Gucci that. My prediction also would be that most notable numerical .com and short letter names will be in the hands of Chinese in the near future.

•••
Pinterest.de...he will lose this unless he is a resident or has a company in Germany what i don't believe...(even with the proxy services a lot of registrars are offering it is not certain that he can keeps this when a big company makes waves about it :)

cheers

liquid

You don't need to be German or have a company in Germany in order to register a domain there. The only requirement is, that the Admin C is a person living in Germany.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back