Domain Empire

PHP Coding Competition

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Is this a good idea?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    66.7%
  • No

votes
    12.5%
  • It has good and bad points

votes
    20.8%
  • No opinion

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Hey,

So, does anyone think a "PHP Coding Competition" would be a good thing to have?
(As a one-off, or regulary)

Basically, on each competition, there is a "theme", eg, ShoutBox, Generator, Class' etc...

And, you have to stick to that theme, but add as many features, and functionality as possible, this would help you chances of winning.

Good security and clean code is also a factor.

The winner will be judged on a Poll.
The scripts may differ from easy to hard

So, does anyone think it will be good to have? ;)

Let me know what you think about the idea.

Thanks,
Adrian

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its a good idea but why restrict it to php, it would be nice to compare implementations in different langauges.

•••
Amnezia said:
Its a good idea but why restrict it to php, it would be nice to compare implementations in different langauges.
That was something that crossed my mind.

Though, i think it would be better to have the same language, to make it more of a "Fair Test".

If other languages was to be allowed, they should both be Server Side.

•••
Well pure server side coding hardly embraces the web 2.0 concept. why restrict people to certain languages and only server side scripting. If you really want people to showcase their talents there should be no restriction on the method of implementation IMHO.

•••
It makes the contest fairer limiting the languages that can be used. Obviously if someone coded in PHP and then someone did some beautiful RoR coding then RoR would gain more votes just because it looks better. There is also the factor that if it wasn't limited someone with high experience in one of the higher level languages such as i dunno.. C++ for example would do better most of the time in every contest and would effectively have a monopoly over the people coding Perl. :P

And im all for a contest ;)

•••
beaver6813 said:
It makes the contest fairer limiting the languages that can be used.
:tu:

beaver6813 said:
And im all for a contest ;)
Great! :tu: I'm gonna see what other responses we get, and votes, then, maybe organize it soon. :)

•••
Sounds like a decent idea, i have seen it done with solutions to algorithms etc as oppsed to fully blown scripts.

I won't be able to join as i can never find that much free time lately, especially if it is anything large however i voted yes.

Matt

•••
it is certainly a good idea. I know sites such as codewalkers.com used to have php contests but that was a while back now. I agree with what people are saying about ensuring the same language is used but it does not mean to say that it has to be php everytime but there would I imagine be more entrants if it was php as not so many people necessarily know c++, perl, python, ruby on rails etc.

I also think it would be better to do what codewalkers.com used to do where it was a contest to make for example a class that could be made to run from an already existing script.

1 thing I have reservations regarding the voting suggestion to decide on winner. How can you really ask people who may not be familiar with programming to judge the work, they would have no concept of good practice nor good coding.

•••
filth@flexiwebhost said:
1 thing I have reservations regarding the voting suggestion to decide on winner. How can you really ask people who may not be familiar with programming to judge the work, they would have no concept of good practice nor good coding.
Well, most users could vote for scripts, for functionality, and customization etc...

The coders, will possibly vote on the above, and code.
The poll wouldn't display the users name either...so, nobody tends to be bias (Even if they don't mean too) :tu:

•••
edit: Bah, should have refreshed.

filth@flexiwebhost said:

I too was wondering this, can i assume Hitch you would be one judge? :P

Perhaps gather a group of people to be judges for contest #1, #2 etc etc who will not be entering that particular contest?

Matt

•••
I think this is a great idea. It wouldnt be fair if any language was allowed, because, I assume, a more difficult language would tend to get more votes if someone made the script in it, so restricting it to just PHP is a good rule.

•••
My opinions:

One language only.

The people who submit get to vote. They are the coders and know if a script is good or not. (There could also just be a few judges, but mainly the people who submitted vote.) Hopefully people wouldn't vote for themselves just to vote for themselves when they know they've lost.

If the script can be "hacked" at all, it is disqualified; really any minor detail that isn't supposed to happen.

How about contests where file size and speed matter?

Amnezia said:
Well pure server side coding hardly embraces the web 2.0 concept.
I don't know where you saw anything about "web 2.0."

•••
As long as there is a decent prize, I'm sure many will participate. :)

•••
I'm all up for it, I think it should be restricted to 1 server-side language (PHP, imo the most popular, and I know it ;) ). But as for client side, I think that should be pretty open, as that would allow competitors to be judged on compatability aswell, so some fancy ajax site wouldn't necessarily be at an advantage, due to it's requirement of javascript.

Another thing is time-scale, what would this be, or would it vary depending on the size of the "task"

I think this could be very interesting, and informative for some people, i.e. to learn from their mistakes, and other peoples methods!

Got my vote

Lee ;)

•••
Restrict it to PHP and i'm in.

Will our code have to be published openly to the internet? I dont think it would be pleasant to make a full system, which can be quite a project for some, only for it to be given away - when it could probably be sold for a tidy profit if it's any good.

In fact I have an idea...the winner packages the script they make, and we make a site that showcases and sells them as an award winning script!...so our first challenge should be to make the most functional site for selling scripts, haha.

•••
Guys, thanks for the feedback and votes.

For the first competition, it 's more than like to stick to PHP. (Obviously, HTML/CSS will be involved... Javascript is a extra) (Not final) Maybe competitions after could expand in terms of languages.

As for the "publishing" code, well, depending on how many users feel about this, the code "may" remain private, though it seems most users don't mind displaying their code...lets see what happens.

The winner, not sure what to do for the winner.
Obviously, i can't do anything "big", or give much away, as this competition was meant as a "community activity".

I'll be hoping to make a thread soon, to get Competition One on the way. :tu:

More feedback, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian

•••
Hitch said:
Guys, thanks for the feedback and votes.

For the first competition, it 's more than like to stick to PHP. (Obviously, HTML/CSS will be involved... Javascript is a extra) (Not final) Maybe competitions after could expand in terms of languages.

As for the "publishing" code, well, depending on how many users feel about this, the code "may" remain private, though it seems most users don't mind displaying their code...lets see what happens.

The winner, not sure what to do for the winner.
Obviously, i can't do anything "big", or give much away, as this competition was meant as a "community activity".

I'll be hoping to make a thread soon, to get Competition One on the way. :tu:

More feedback, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Adrian

Get RJ to donate something towards it ;)

•••
The only problem I can see with this idea is rules concerning copying or modifying of others' code and how to enforce such a rule.

•••
You've got the green light from me. I'd like to see the rules set out a little clearer, like Jim mentioned. What is allowed?

•••
I think this type of competition should be made roughly the same as the other design/photo contests etc, obviously rules will need to be implemented.. idea! How about a little submission script, people submit their entries before the deadline and then once the contest is over the judges will take a look at the scripts and judge them.

That way prevents anyone else seeing the script before the end, once the winner is chosen the author could choose to disclose or not disclose the source-code. Obviously the judges would have to run some quick background checks to make sure the script has been written by the author and not someone else.

•••
Hey,

RJ, Great!
So, the rules.

Here's what i think should be needed, though, i'd love others to add/comment on these.

1. All the code must be your own, no copyrighted code.
You cannot use functions/classes, "snippets", posted on sites or forums.
It's fine to use them if you have created them, and/or posted them yourself however.

2. You may not start the project untill the competition has official started.

3. Testing must be done on your server, or localhost.
Hosting will be offered to those who don't want to publicaly host their code on their servers.

4. If the competition requires you to post code (Will be stated in the Starting Thread), you may add a notice, stating users may not redistribute, sell, or use your code.
Sadly, if they ignore this, there is not much that can happen.
(Most competitions may not require code to be posted)

5. When entering your Script/Code, you must PM the competition holder.
All scripts/code authors will be anonymous until a winner has being chosen.​

Ok, rule 4, effeminately needs some improvement! :lol:
It's quite tricky...

Please post what you think needs adding/changing.

Thanks

Adrian

•••
good idea this, would flash be allowed?

I could imagine design elements getting in the way though.

•••
good idea, when are you planning to start this competition???

•••
Adrian,
Great idea. I'm all for it. I probably wouldn't be able to get involved much during the school year (I'm VERY, VERY busy as a sophomore in college right now), but during the summer months I think it would be something I'd like to participate in. Great idea!

Hitch said:
Please post what you think needs adding/changing.
Adrian

I honestly think that all code should be done from scratch, with the exception of really basic code that is used in just about every script...

•••
Doing all the code from scratch doesn't really represent quality coding.

Only poor coders write everything from scratch, in a comercial enviroment you're encouraged to make use of existing frameworks where ever possible.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back