IT.COM

Parking has died, long live parking...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This thread is dedicated to the all NPers that have domains parked, to collectively stand up and introduce their "how to fix it" ideas, their concepts, praise, blame.....

Let's pool our posts rather than have them scattered all over the place.
Take this chance to make your voices heard, i'm sure that as the thread grows, that we may get the attention of some of the decision makers.

This is YOUR one-stop-thread concerning Parking is dead, Long live parking!

Let it rip....

IB

Addition:

I moved my post from the Parked.com thread into here to give this thread a start. The parked.com thread has become a bit too diluted with general parking issues... So, here goes:

This post is in regards to withdrawing our domains from being parked for a set amount of time. You may call this: The virtual strike
Opposing to us, the domainers, the "esteemed" advertisers have other opportunities that we can't touch. Traditional advertising is still alive and won't go anywhere , anytime soon. Thus, withdrawing our domains from being parked, even collectively pausing our arbitrage campaigns isn't going to do a thing. Thinking about the big dogs, the Rick Schwarz's of the world , Marchex, etc. to be on our side, is a wet dream at best, they'd be losing too much to associate with our small time domains. They're playing in a different class...

Since the domain market in regards to arbitrage and parking has turned as volatile as the stock market, it's equally difficult to gauge, predict and analyze. Therefore, what we need is a model that is Disclosed, Enforced, Controlled.
Unfortunately, that's just another dream that won't come true anytime soon. I don't think that any parking company is ever going to voluntarily disclose their numbers, much less that Google, MSN, Ask, etc. aren't going to disclose what the true value per ad word is.

So, let the best guess scenario continue...

IB

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ZuraX said:
If your names are so great why dont you just eliminate the middle mad?
You need a porfolio with millions of page views per month to get your own feed, until then, you get scraps.

•••
Well the way people are talking their traffic is the best so.....

•••
ZuraX said:
Well the way people are talking their traffic is the best so.....

That again is the difference between the quantity and quality my man.You could have good traffic but you could not have as much...

•••
Ok so for all the talk here is the start...

Petition against parking providers and parking companies

If you think you might have some good text then what I have written drop me a PM.

If any of you guys feel an urge to start a new thread feel free to do so.

P.s This should be more like a sticky. :hehe:

•••
Intel, Dn and Badger have a rightful disgust of the lack of disclosure we as a business partner have with parking providers. How can a person reason that providing a place in this thread to discuss with parking providers how our earnings come about is threatening?.

We want all parking providers and upstream providers to engage in conversation. Why would they do that if we jump on them for having a conversation?

We should not be chasing off the only person who has been coming forward to explain parking revenue. I for one am impressed with Badger and his wisdom regards this discussion. My hope is he and other members of parking services engage with us.

I take no offense that he is talking about Imodo. Many members here are talking about places like Sedo. I also think the spriit of the helpful information regarding Imodis is informative to the industry and not spammy.

The domain business is competitve. The parkiing companies all want to grow and make more money. They do that by agreeing to share certain percentages of keyword advertisment money. It is no concern to me regarding this discussion if some members choose to go thru their business not wanting to prosper. Not wanting to know if they are getting full value for their parked domains.

We prosper by making the highest revenue over and over again by traffic visiting our domain. If only one company existed for parking domains we would not prosper. Since it is the competition that earns us more because each company agrees in writting of what percentage they will pay us for the keyword click, it is imperative to park with the highest percent paid provider, that is why you need to know if you are actually recieving the percentage of the click price in your contract with them.

If it is impossible to have a transparent interface for the stats, well then the pay per click price can plummet. We will never know will we if honesty is in place or we are simply getting paid pennies on the dollar for our property.

urlppc.com

Last edited:
•••
evilopinions said:
Ok so for all the talk here is the start...

Petition against parking providers and parking companies

If you think you might have some good text then what I have written drop me a PM.

If any of you guys feel an urge to start a new thread feel free to do so.

P.s This should be more like a sticky. :hehe:
Read, commented and sent off to Digg! :) Great idea that shows the initiative that's needed.

IB

•••
IntelBank.com said:
Read, commented and sent off to Digg! :) Great idea that shows the initiative that's needed.

IB

Intelbank, in your reply at petition()co()in, your hyperlink back to intelbank()com was broken because you added an extra (,) like this intelbank.com,/

•••
PowerUp said:
Intelbank, in your reply at petition()co()in, your hyperlink back to intelbank()com was broken because you added an extra (,) like this intelbank.com,/

Fixed it...But I have it up in blogroll as well...

•••
evilopinions said:
well the solution I see is very simple...

10 large portfolio holders (maybe from 10 different countries) can get together and make enough to start a domainer parking company...
I believe there will be heaps of programmers who will be ready to help in this project for free because it will be a union from whom all domainers will benefit.
each ones contributes equal amount into the development and develop a parking platform with all the latest tips and techniques to earn max revenue...

These 10 domainers will be the leaders in the domainer union.The programmers who made the parking will be the tech guys.

Instead of acquiring Yahoo and google feeds start a inhouse advertising joint....There will be a team of sales guy who will sell the ads in their respective countries or promote in a similiar manner.

advertiser can advertise directly with the union in order that they get visitors and pay on bid basis like yahoo and google....

The principles on which this union runs should be laid out first by 5 domainer from each country having a medium sized/small portfolio....This way the smaller ones can have their say...The most sensible principle should be picked up and adopted on a voting basis....

The union should be a public venture...The platform should be transparent....In account panels of each domainer he should be able to see the amount bidded by the advertiser(this can lead to reverse engineering) ...maybe keyword approval should be manually done...and the bids should change everyday....An account suspension for a definite period be imposed on a domainer indulging in reverse engineering....The desion be collectively taken by the top 10 domainers...

this will have two major impacts....

1)google and yahoo will feel the hole in their revenue chart.(They will either adopt the transparent platform or suffer , good for us both ways)
2)advertisers will have a more competitive and transparent platform to play big money.They would be able to see how much they spent at what rate and what was the highest rate paid .....

If properly done and details laid out first I think this is the way it should be done..Not only will it benefit the domainer but the advertisers as well..

Also not to just axe the advertisers , a quality review and conversion rate calculation be done for each domainer's portfolio and his click/revenue rate be adjusted....A domainer with 100% conversion can have 100% revenue and one with 10% conversion can have 50 % revenue....Union can deduct 2 cents of each click or maybe deduct a total of 3% every month on total earning to run the platform...The revenue that remains can be used to hire/maintain/change/update the parking platform...

Examples of money refund to advertisers be shown/done in order that the advertiser be not cheated out...

also to understand that because this will be a domainer's union advertiser should be given equal power so that he would love to visit us rather than be scared of being robbed away....

evilopinions, I think this is a REAL solution - even though others may not be able to see it just yet. It may need to be tweaked a bit, but you definitely have laid out the best idea yet.

Getting advertisers is not that hard - trust me. It is like shooting fish in a barrel when you have a sales team. The advertisers are dying for other ad inventory, and even if our traffic is cheaper than G or Y we would still make more money since there would be no split. They love the cheaper traffic and higher conversions when you have primo generics, and we would love the additional income.

I ran a small sales team from 1998 to 2004 and profited immensely by selling PPC links on our generic domain sites. My partner and I actually wrote a PPC bid engine before GoTo even existed, which of course is now Overture. My venture fell apart when my partner went off the deep end and was not keeping the servers, invoicing, etc.... up anymore and would not come to a reasonable solution to the problem - hence the business went under, so to speak. But ......my point is this : This is not as hard as it looks. The key is GOOD programmers and a decent sales team. These links are so easy to sell they don't even have to be high paid salesmen - just someone that will call will do the trick. And..... if it is automated where advertisers can come in and sing up without talking to anyone then you got a one-two whammy paid link building machine/sales force. It really ads up when the cumulative effect of more and more advertisers are piled on top of the old ones, and since you have a sales team you might find that you sell 50%-100% more ads then either G or Y has, thus again lining your pockets with more gold.

One thing I think ought to be entertained regarding your idea EvilOpinions is that we should approach an existing parking company, such as Parked.com, to try to get them to join forces with us. That way we don't have to start from the ground up. They would provide the infrastructure and we would provide the "new advertisers" from our sales force, in cases where we don't have advertisers ready then Yahoo or Google, depending on the parking company, PPC feeds would be applied. What the parking company would get out of it is the ability to syndicate the advertisers we bring over onto their own parked pages. But, on our own sites we would keep the 97% you spoke of and send 3% to Parked.com for maintenance- or maybe 2 or 1%. A percentage will be needed for the sales team also (maybe 2% to start), but is should not take too much - hire some folks in Arkansas or South Dakota that would love to make $12 an hour.

In this scenario it would be more of a co-op than a union. Fabulous.com sells links on parked sites hosted with them and that is why sometimes you get whopper clicks due to the rev-share, well...... here we would keep almost 100% of that sector of income instead of sharing it with anyone. This could add 20 to 50% more income in the short run to our bottom line if executed correctly. A second feed source would be required as well in case Parked.com, or whoever, broke the contract, left us, etc.....

Once the sales have a big bearing on the bottom line then the PPC feed would be less relevant and the sales could almost supplant the PPC feed links. At this point revenue could be as high as 60-80% higher than right now.

Folks will say "Oh.... you can't compete with Google or Yahoo", but guess what my partner and I did ..... we outsold them in advertiser numbers on a keyword by keyword basis when looking the keyword in the generic domains and comparing it in the engines.

On another note, someone said earlier that you need millions of page views to get a feed. That is not true - there are other ways.

•••
Seabass said:
evilopinions, I think this is a REAL solution - even though others may not be able to see it just yet. It may need to be tweaked a bit, but you definitely have laid out the best idea yet.

Getting advertisers is not that hard - trust me. It is like shooting fish in a barrel when you have a sales team. The advertisers are dying for other ad inventory, and even if our traffic is cheaper than G or Y we would still make more money since there would be no split. They love the cheaper traffic and higher conversions when you have primo generics, and we would love the additional income.

I ran a small sales team from 1998 to 2004 and profited immensely by selling PPC links on our generic domain sites. My partner and I actually wrote a PPC bid engine before GoTo even existed, which of course is now Overture. My venture fell apart when my partner went off the deep end and was not keeping the servers, invoicing, etc.... up anymore and would not come to a reasonable solution to the problem - hence the business went under, so to speak. But ......my point is this : This is not as hard as it looks. The key is GOOD programmers and a decent sales team. These links are so easy to sell they don't even have to be high paid salesmen - just someone that will call will do the trick. And..... if it is automated where advertisers can come in and sing up without talking to anyone then you got a one-two whammy paid link building machine/sales force. It really ads up when the cumulative effect of more and more advertisers are piled on top of the old ones, and since you have a sales team you might find that you sell 50%-100% more ads then either G or Y has, thus again lining your pockets with more gold.

One thing I think ought to be entertained regarding your idea EvilOpinions is that we should approach an existing parking company, such as Parked.com, to try to get them to join forces with us. That way we don't have to start from the ground up. They would provide the infrastructure and we would provide the "new advertisers" from our sales force, in cases where we don't have advertisers ready then Yahoo or Google, depending on the parking company, PPC feeds would be applied. What the parking company would get out of it is the ability to syndicate the advertisers we bring over onto their own parked pages. But, on our own sites we would keep the 97% you spoke of and send 3% to Parked.com for maintenance- or maybe 2 or 1%. A percentage will be needed for the sales team also (maybe 2% to start), but is should not take too much - hire some folks in Arkansas or South Dakota that would love to make $12 an hour.

In this scenario it would be more of a co-op than a union. Fabulous.com sells links on parked sites hosted with them and that is why sometimes you get whopper clicks due to the rev-share, well...... here we would keep almost 100% of that sector of income instead of sharing it with anyone. This could add 20 to 50% more income in the short run to our bottom line if executed correctly. A second feed source would be required as well in case Parked.com, or whoever, broke the contract, left us, etc.....

Once the sales have a big bearing on the bottom line then the PPC feed would be less relevant and the sales could almost supplant the PPC feed links. At this point revenue could be as high as 60-80% higher than right now.

Folks will say "Oh.... you can't compete with Google or Yahoo", but guess what my partner and I did ..... we outsold them in advertiser numbers on a keyword by keyword basis when looking the keyword in the generic domains and comparing it in the engines.

On another note, someone said earlier that you need millions of page views to get a feed. That is not true - there are other ways.

AND i can find atleast 10 people right now without blinking who would work on 10 $ an hour selling ads..

I think what needs to be sorted out is a sort of platform where we can really work as if it was our company and our own money was involved...

with a 3rd party parking company I neither see the possibility nor hope...

It would have to be some of us who could get together and do it...chances are slim with the way people want to just stick to the same domain prking company and not do anything about it

•••
keeping this thread a live, as it looks like a similar discussion is bubbling up again on another thread. . .

•••
Step Right Up

Don't underestimate the rising waters about this issue.

We have made many aware of the possibilities and learned much, so have others. Some of these people will be domainers and some from other professions, such as marketing and developement.

There was a time when tricks kept our attention. Soon the magic show will ignite itself because of shoddy props. New actors will enter the stage. The show they put on for us will be "the atsounding ways to profit from using our domains".

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back