Dynadot

Parking has died, long live parking...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This thread is dedicated to the all NPers that have domains parked, to collectively stand up and introduce their "how to fix it" ideas, their concepts, praise, blame.....

Let's pool our posts rather than have them scattered all over the place.
Take this chance to make your voices heard, i'm sure that as the thread grows, that we may get the attention of some of the decision makers.

This is YOUR one-stop-thread concerning Parking is dead, Long live parking!

Let it rip....

IB

Addition:

I moved my post from the Parked.com thread into here to give this thread a start. The parked.com thread has become a bit too diluted with general parking issues... So, here goes:

This post is in regards to withdrawing our domains from being parked for a set amount of time. You may call this: The virtual strike
Opposing to us, the domainers, the "esteemed" advertisers have other opportunities that we can't touch. Traditional advertising is still alive and won't go anywhere , anytime soon. Thus, withdrawing our domains from being parked, even collectively pausing our arbitrage campaigns isn't going to do a thing. Thinking about the big dogs, the Rick Schwarz's of the world , Marchex, etc. to be on our side, is a wet dream at best, they'd be losing too much to associate with our small time domains. They're playing in a different class...

Since the domain market in regards to arbitrage and parking has turned as volatile as the stock market, it's equally difficult to gauge, predict and analyze. Therefore, what we need is a model that is Disclosed, Enforced, Controlled.
Unfortunately, that's just another dream that won't come true anytime soon. I don't think that any parking company is ever going to voluntarily disclose their numbers, much less that Google, MSN, Ask, etc. aren't going to disclose what the true value per ad word is.

So, let the best guess scenario continue...

IB

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I thought this was an insightful blog post by Joe Davison over at namestrategy.com

•••
Hitchhiker,

I see your point and its well put. OK, this sounds pretty good. The union may be a plan, but having a union is not going to help us see if we are getting a fair shake as regards ppc. How do we ever get to that aspect of this discussion?

Do domainers have anyway to understand what the actual ppc stats are that are being charged to the parking providers?

•••
PowerUp said:
I don't see the need for a sizable deposit. A logical domainer will not pull his domain from the union. Reason is this. By redirecting the traffic to the union, the domainer gets $0.80 (or whatever amount) a click. By parking his domains directly with parking companies, he gets $0.15 a click. This is of course, assuming that the union has a strong negotiating power to get higher $ per click.

the reason to do this is to prevent a parking company from trying to "break the union" by negotiating in the back room with the big dogs and splitting them from the union . . . and screwing the guys with small portfolios . ..

there might be better ways of doing this though . .

goodkarmaco said:
Hitchhiker,

I see your point and its well put. OK, this sounds pretty good. The union may be a plan, but having a union is not going to help us see if we are getting a fair shake as regards ppc. How do we ever get to that aspect of this discussion?

Do domainers have anyway to understand what the actual ppc stats are that are being charged to the parking providers?

My assumption is that someone like frank S. who does millions a month because of his negotiating power (traffic), already negotiate the terms of the revenue split explicitly with the parking provider.

As a union, because of our aggregate traffic we should be able to do the same. . . (which means known for every $1 spend by the advertiser, how are the revenu split between search engine+company+union)

since we own our own name server, we can audit traffic passed to the parking company's name server in real time, so no shaving will take place as well.

•••
If organized and represented correctly, such a Union could easily cover security items, preventive action items, human services, individual representation and consultation, and about 1000 other items.
There have to be distinct benefits to being part of such a Union as domainer, while simultaneous benefits for the industry to collaborate with the Union are of equal importance. Such a Union can set the standards and tip the scales to actually work in favor of the ones that make it all happen - the individual domainer. At this time, standards are being set by for-profit corporations, logically, we're not much more than the ones enabling them to do so.
One domainer alone is not going to change the landscape, united domainers, brought together under a not-for-profit umbrella, will definitely accomplish that. Even the strongest single domainer ends at negotiations with parking providers. A union can start with upstream providers, then work it's way down to individual parking companies that see a benefit for themselves to comply with the standards established by the union.
While the ideology of a traditional Union would apply, in regards to our market, which is solely virtual, the concept of a Union needs to be adapted in itself and brought globally through representatives in each member country.

IB

•••
While unions can be a very good thing, They can back fire extremely bad as well, The vast majority of times, that union members stay on strike for a very long time, they get replaced, therefore having no reason to strike any more, because they no longer work for the company, they were striking on.

The very same could happen with such a strike against parking companies, the majority of the TOS with parking companies says, We reserve the right to terminate your account with out reason.

Not only could that happen to such strikers, but peoples names can spread, and the companies can reserve the right not to accept members of such a union, into their parking service.

That making the union worthless, because parking companies will no longer accept the members of such a union, should it disturb the domain parking industry, All this is just my opinion, and my two cents.

Frank S, Has the power to negotiate, when you make a company A LOT of money, they are willing to negotiate terms a bit.

These are just my thoughts and opinions, But i would highly consider what one can loose, instead of gain, in this particular situation.

•••
Do you really think if domainers stopped parking the Parking companies would lash back by terminating the accounts?

Sounds like a good way to completely go out of business for those Parking companies...

What are you thinking?

As for being replaced, Who's going to replace the experienced domainers? How are they getting the names from the domainers? It's not like a factory job where you've got thousands of experienced people waiting for a position at an auto cad or CNC or painting or any other job..This is a unique business that compared to other businesses there are very few with qualified experience to make enough to really matter.

As for people wanting to go around the unionized type force and park there names any way, there are simple methods I'm sure everyone's aware of to completely destroy their parking experience..I'm not saying I agree with doing that but there are often harsh concequenses for people trying to go around unions and work for less in all industries of business.

.X. said:
While unions can be a very good thing, They can back fire extremely bad as well, The vast majority of times, that union members stay on strike for a very long time, they get replaced, therefore having no reason to strike any more, because they no longer work for the company, they were striking on.

The very same could happen with such a strike against parking companies, the majority of the TOS with parking companies says, We reserve the right to terminate your account with out reason.

Not only could that happen to such strikers, but peoples names can spread, and the companies can reserve the right not to accept members of such a union, into their parking service.

Last edited:
•••
I hate to say it but imho believe the word "union" is not the correct description that should be used. in such a venture to get waht we as domainers deerve for the value of our domains. The stigma attached to it will make the task that much greater to accomplish. What we want- fair $ for parking companies to use our domains to make $$$$.

I feel the easiest and most sensible route is for us as domain owners is to RENT / LEASE all domains to the parking companies so THEY pay us to start with to USE our names. That way the along with a newly negotiated ppc % we also receive X amount from the parking companies for the rental and use of the domains for whtever specified period of time is chosen. The names are available then for the use by whatever parking company who decides to solicit business from members of this new site.

This way we can have a site that domainers join for free to start with. Their domains are all logged and tracked of course as traditional parking companies use but with the best features for ease of use on the domainers end and the parking compaines end. So with this main site acting as the portal for our domains the parking companies that want PRODUCT for THEIR sites to make revenue $$$$ they then MUST come to this new domainer site meaning THEY have to solicit from US !!

So this way domainers are simply MEMBERS of the site NOT in some union that requires a heck of alot of admin etc etc etc. Who has time to set THAT up? Unless you are a lawyer, or can afford a bunch of them, people with integrity that can be trusted, influential business connections, etc, etc, the $$$$ , the time energy and the list goes on, I think my idea is alot more practical.

Home depot RENTS/l LEASES shelf space to suppliers/manufacturers who BID on locations for their products within the stores on a contract time period.

My idea is sort of the same but we rent the "domain name - instead of shelf space" thru the new website to the parking companies (who is the "retailer" that shows it to their clients (ad companies. This allows them the right to use our names in their parking program under set contract terms and conditions which we negotied under for each domain they want to rent. We receive royaltys per name for them to use it to generate them the ad revenue. Of course we receive a negotited ppc % as well and receive bonus $$$ for x number of domains doing X % of traffic, etc etc.

The problem is that many domains will NOT be of interets to a parking comoany however we are doing a huge service in thsi way. Because the parkers are renting the domains initially they know exactly what performs and what doesnt. This will weed out the nets garbage parked domains with little value and take our better ones to a level that advertisers wil be happy to place ads on.

So this method of marketing/parking domains will clean up the net since the advertsiers / feed providers are getting stricter and more educated on the way adsense works.

We as domainers have ALL the data of what our domains do when parked. So with that data we can determine values easily for renting/leasing and how they would be calculated so all aprties get what they are comfortable with. Their is more than enough $$$ for all to go around.

If we as domainers en masse eventually convert our names to this type of style of marketing TO the parking companies it will change the net forever as far as parking goes and adsense $$$ generation?

Am I missing something or does this sound viable???

Remember folks where you heard it first!!

•••
•••
Great article and once again a beautiful reminder that it's been long overdue to unite.
While i agree that the term "union" may be a bit strong, it's still the closest related term for such unity.
This union could easily take control of the market in regards to how our future looks like. The name of the game is: "Numbers". The higher the number, the larger the leverage.
No one has said anything about a strike. Strikes are ALWAYS the last resort and usually introduce a stand off AFTER all other possibilities are exhausted.
The only thing thats being looked at is the possibility of collaboration and to address upstream providers as well as parking companies with ONE voice. Difference would be that this ONE voice is backed by a number X of domainers with a number X of domains. If you consider the possibilities and sheer numbers of people that are currently soloists - even if the minority would unite, Marchex and Co. would be dwarfed.
Think about THIS as leverage for conversations with Google, Yahoo, etc. and as opportunity to set the future of parking on a correct course. This includes but is not exclusive to, open books-total transparency, disclosed values, traffic observation and control, feature control, etc. There are too many items to list that would apply to such an opportunity. Of course, there's a slew of associated opportunities coming with it, however, in the beginning the only thing that should matter is to gain control of our own destiny. Right now, our future is shaped by upstream providers and parking services...that couldn't really be the end of it, could it?

IB

•••
you are forgeting that you are asking the parking companies to CHANGE THEIR BUSINESS MODELS FIRST. . . before we commit to them

without negotiation power . . . that will never happen . . . and the only way to get negotiating leverage is to work in concert . . . (as a "union" or a "co-op")

I like your idea and hope it happens one day, but how monetization is structured is a separate conversation from how do we create negotiation leverage . . . monetization model is part of the negotiation details, not the start . . .

VisionEdger said:
I hate to say it but imho believe the word "union" is not the correct description that should be used. in such a venture to get waht we as domainers deerve for the value of our domains. The stigma attached to it will make the task that much greater to accomplish. What we want- fair $ for parking companies to use our domains to make $$$$.

I feel the easiest and most sensible route is for us as domain owners is to RENT / LEASE all domains to the parking companies so THEY pay us to start with to USE our names. That way the along with a newly negotiated ppc % we also receive X amount from the parking companies for the rental and use of the domains for whtever specified period of time is chosen. The names are available then for the use by whatever parking company who decides to solicit business from members of this new site.

This way we can have a site that domainers join for free to start with. Their domains are all logged and tracked of course as traditional parking companies use but with the best features for ease of use on the domainers end and the parking compaines end. So with this main site acting as the portal for our domains the parking companies that want PRODUCT for THEIR sites to make revenue $$$$ they then MUST come to this new domainer site meaning THEY have to solicit from US !!

So this way domainers are simply MEMBERS of the site NOT in some union that requires a heck of alot of admin etc etc etc. Who has time to set THAT up? Unless you are a lawyer, or can afford a bunch of them, people with integrity that can be trusted, influential business connections, etc, etc, the $$$$ , the time energy and the list goes on, I think my idea is alot more practical.

Home depot RENTS/l LEASES shelf space to suppliers/manufacturers who BID on locations for their products within the stores on a contract time period.

My idea is sort of the same but we rent the "domain name - instead of shelf space" thru the new website to the parking companies (who is the "retailer" that shows it to their clients (ad companies. This allows them the right to use our names in their parking program under set contract terms and conditions which we negotied under for each domain they want to rent. We receive royaltys per name for them to use it to generate them the ad revenue. Of course we receive a negotited ppc % as well and receive bonus $$$ for x number of domains doing X % of traffic, etc etc.

The problem is that many domains will NOT be of interets to a parking comoany however we are doing a huge service in thsi way. Because the parkers are renting the domains initially they know exactly what performs and what doesnt. This will weed out the nets garbage parked domains with little value and take our better ones to a level that advertisers wil be happy to place ads on.

So this method of marketing/parking domains will clean up the net since the advertsiers / feed providers are getting stricter and more educated on the way adsense works.

We as domainers have ALL the data of what our domains do when parked. So with that data we can determine values easily for renting/leasing and how they would be calculated so all aprties get what they are comfortable with. Their is more than enough $$$ for all to go around.

If we as domainers en masse eventually convert our names to this type of style of marketing TO the parking companies it will change the net forever as far as parking goes and adsense $$$ generation?

•••
VisionEdger said:

so much for removing the garbage ?

So what is classified as garbage ? and what is a quality domain...

I have a domain having 1800 visitors a month no revenue and one having 30 odd visits with 12 $ in revenue...

Also this will simply see that the ones with bigger portfolio get richer and the ones with the smaller ones are simply cast out...

That would mean that the rich domainers who can figure out will get richer and the ones who just started will never get there !

wouldn't that mean the that the domainer with big portfolio will be the only ones in the so called "union"....

either you think about all the domainers(even with two domains) or simply group urselves and aquire personal Yahoo or google feed..that way you can save us from dreaming what this thread has really sown....

•••
IntelBank.com said:
Great article and once again a beautiful reminder that it's been long overdue to unite.
While i agree that the term "union" may be a bit strong, it's still the closest related term for such unity.
This union could easily take control of the market in regards to how our future looks like. The name of the game is: "Numbers". The higher the number, the larger the leverage.
No one has said anything about a strike. Strikes are ALWAYS the last resort and usually introduce a stand off AFTER all other possibilities are exhausted.
The only thing thats being looked at is the possibility of collaboration and to address upstream providers as well as parking companies with ONE voice. Difference would be that this ONE voice is backed by a number X of domainers with a number X of domains. If you consider the possibilities and sheer numbers of people that are currently soloists - even if the minority would unite, Marchex and Co. would be dwarfed.
Think about THIS as leverage for conversations with Google, Yahoo, etc. and as opportunity to set the future of parking on a correct course. This includes but is not exclusive to, open books-total transparency, disclosed values, traffic observation and control, feature control, etc. There are too many items to list that would apply to such an opportunity. Of course, there's a slew of associated opportunities coming with it, however, in the beginning the only thing that should matter is to gain control of our own destiny. Right now, our future is shaped by upstream providers and parking services...that couldn't really be the end of it, could it?

IB

You are going need accurate stats and proof of revenue, before you approach any one, about any thing, And the stats will have to be large, other wise, no one is going to listen, it would take large portfolio holders, making good revenue, making the parking company a substantial amount of money, to make any parking company listen to what any one has to say. I would love to see domain parking change, update and prepare to enter web2.0, Hopefully it will happen.

•••
same old rhetoric

evilopinions said:
so much for removing the garbage ?

So what is classified as garbage ? and what is a quality domain...

I have a domain having 1800 visitors a month no revenue and one having 30 odd visits with 12 $ in revenue...

Also this will simply see that the ones with bigger portfolio get richer and the ones with the smaller ones are simply cast out...

That would mean that the rich domainers who can figure out will get richer and the ones who just started will never get there !

wouldn't that mean the that the domainer with big portfolio will be the only ones in the so called "union"....

either you think about all the domainers(even with two domains) or simply group urselves and aquire personal Yahoo or google feed..that way you can save us from dreaming what this thread has really sown....

you should have devils advocate along with evil opinions in your sig lol

Garbage is when someone has something no one wants. Hence its the advertsiers and feed providers that are NOW determining whats gabage and whats not according to their seemingly new adsense model in relation to parking.

Google NEEDS QUALITY ad space for their quality advertisers and it will keep growing, quality ad space is an issue for them believe it or not hence the possiblity they are now taking drastic measures sweeping up the web bit by bit, honing it down to be more efficient, to appease all the jaded advertisers.

They put them above all else it seems so parked pages stats canot be completely black and white as you point out with your 2 domains and stats that don't seem to jive to what your interpretation of whats happening in parking today. Its not like it was and people have stop looking at the traditional model as you are simply regurgitating the same standard jargon posted about this subject.

The idea is to change parking so new ways must be entertained and tweaked. Rich get richer argument and large portfolio holders are the atypical line everyone notes when they are stymied by how to look at it from a new angle.

what do you suggest? you point out supposed flaws in my rant but give little solutions.

hitchhiker said:
you are forgeting that you are asking the parking companies to CHANGE THEIR BUSINESS MODELS FIRST. . . before we commit to them

without negotiation power . . . that will never happen . . . and the only way to get negotiating leverage is to work in concert . . . (as a "union" or a "co-op")

I like your idea and hope it happens one day, but how monetization is structured is a separate conversation from how do we create negotiation leverage . . . monetization model is part of the negotiation details, not the start . . .

Yea thats right I forgot about them , give me a break, I appreciate you liking the idea but again you only offer opinions . where is the beef? I come up with alot fo unique ideas at times and this one has decent potential and all you say is the parking comianies must change their model first and leverage , monetize ......

Why? why do they have to dictate what we get when we have the supply. You have put up another barrier to the end goal. I say F^%$ the parking companies. What am I losing if I dont use the traditional method anymore? A whole lot of nothing it seems. Few people are making the big $$$ as it once was now anyways. Some of course are (those are those rich ones and large portfolio holders as many tend to refer to that are so intricate in the entire parking show) but today overall the majority of us are getting hosed.

Plus your last statement is kind of out there imho. Monetizing the negotiation or negotiating the monitization according to the parking companies changing their business model by working in concert ? say what?? sounds like a politician rambling.

You have a tendency to state the obvious but again its not an explanation , its rhetoric. just like a politician.

•••
well the solution I see is very simple...

10 large portfolio holders (maybe from 10 different countries) can get together and make enough to start a domainer parking company...
I believe there will be heaps of programmers who will be ready to help in this project for free because it will be a union from whom all domainers will benefit.
each ones contributes equal amount into the development and develop a parking platform with all the latest tips and techniques to earn max revenue...

These 10 domainers will be the leaders in the domainer union.The programmers who made the parking will be the tech guys.

Instead of acquiring Yahoo and google feeds start a inhouse advertising joint....There will be a team of sales guy who will sell the ads in their respective countries or promote in a similiar manner.

advertiser can advertise directly with the union in order that they get visitors and pay on bid basis like yahoo and google....

The principles on which this union runs should be laid out first by 5 domainer from each country having a medium sized/small portfolio....This way the smaller ones can have their say...The most sensible principle should be picked up and adopted on a voting basis....

The union should be a public venture...The platform should be transparent....In account panels of each domainer he should be able to see the amount bidded by the advertiser(this can lead to reverse engineering) ...maybe keyword approval should be manually done...and the bids should change everyday....An account suspension for a definite period be imposed on a domainer indulging in reverse engineering....The desion be collectively taken by the top 10 domainers...

this will have two major impacts....

1)google and yahoo will feel the hole in their revenue chart.(They will either adopt the transparent platform or suffer , good for us both ways)
2)advertisers will have a more competitive and transparent platform to play big money.They would be able to see how much they spent at what rate and what was the highest rate paid .....

If properly done and details laid out first I think this is the way it should be done..Not only will it benefit the domainer but the advertisers as well..

Also not to just axe the advertisers , a quality review and conversion rate calculation be done for each domainer's portfolio and his click/revenue rate be adjusted....A domainer with 100% conversion can have 100% revenue and one with 10% conversion can have 50 % revenue....Union can deduct 2 cents of each click or maybe deduct a total of 3% every month on total earning to run the platform...The revenue that remains can be used to hire/maintain/change/update the parking platform...

Examples of money refund to advertisers be shown/done in order that the advertiser be not cheated out...

also to understand that because this will be a domainer's union advertiser should be given equal power so that he would love to visit us rather than be scared of being robbed away....

Last edited:
•••
John is right. . .

go ahead and try to approach a parking company with your idea. . . the first thing they say will be "why I should talk to you" . . . you are not going to even get to presenting your idea . . .

if you try the reverse and ask domainers to join your first system, the first question would be "how much money can you make me" . . . without any advertisers to "lease" the domains, no one would join. . .

you would be caught in a catch 22 . . .

no rhetoric. . . just experience from 10+ years in the online industry. . .

•••
Google gee gaw gaw

Avo,

that is a insightful article from Joe Davison. Gives one ideas to move parking to the next level.

I want to touch on the comment that guys like Schilling negotiate with upstream providers and he has such a large portfolio. The thing is, correct me if I am wrong but even Schilling and the Ricks of the domain world don't really know if they are getting what they are promised, or if they to are getting the screw like we are.

What everyone seems to be talking about here still does not address the basic flaw facing ppc parking. That is the revenue is like "smoke and mirrors". Until "transparent" parking arrives, we will have no idea what each domain actually earns, only what the upstream provider says it is worth.

Does anyone care to work to find the answer to that gigantic question?

In the end, with all the dedication, money spent, hours of work it may mean little if a sort of union happens, if transparency is not provided to us the domainers.

The fact is, as stated in this forum by parking owners themselves, they have no idea what you and I as domainers get as the upstream providers do not tell them.

I may be wrong and those top domainers like Schilling may have full access to the upstream providers sponsored payments stats and they have worked out the payouts to them.

I doubt it though and the only attempt to explain earnings for keyword clicks from their advertisers is a sort of tribal language, spewing out words, simalar to " google google gaw gaw". Do you know what the hell those words mean?.

For a partnership with those parking companies to be successful, we need to communicate. Instead of " we can't tell you how much your revenue will be until the upstream provider figures out the stats from "gaw, gaw gooble gee".

I see no value in having a domain union until we get to the bottom of why transparency cannot be passed from the upstream provider, to the parking company, then to the domainer. Not with hocus pocus, but actual revenue stats paid to the upstream proivder for our click and then the cut to the parking company and then the parking company showing us our percentage according to the tos agreement.

Last edited:
•••
DnPresident said:
Do you really think if domainers stopped parking the Parking companies would lash back by terminating the accounts?

Sounds like a good way to completely go out of business for those Parking companies...

What are you thinking?

As for being replaced, Who's going to replace the experienced domainers? How are they getting the names from the domainers? It's not like a factory job where you've got thousands of experienced people waiting for a position at an auto cad or CNC or painting or any other job..This is a unique business that compared to other businesses there are very few with qualified experience to make enough to really matter.

As for people wanting to go around the unionized type force and park there names any way, there are simple methods I'm sure everyone's aware of to completely destroy their parking experience..I'm not saying I agree with doing that but there are often harsh concequenses for people trying to go around unions and work for less in all industries of business.

domain parking is changing rapidly, when i say that, I mean parking companies are already shutting their doors to any new clients, they simply are not accepting any more clients.

If the parking companies were to loose 100 domainers, it wouldn't bother them, they can replace those 100 domainers, if they wish to do so easily, that is what i am thinking , DnPresident.

The only way, in my opinion, that some one is going to negotiate any terms, with any parking company, Is if they are making the company a substantial monthly income, And this would be on a case by case basis, If a domainer that makes $100 a month, approaches a parking company, wanting to negotiate terms, the parking company is not going to listen, why should they, they have no vested interest in that particular client.

domain parking companies, are just like any employer, you produce good for them, and they be willing to listen to what you have to say, what your needs are -VS- thier needs, you have to prove yourself first.

Think of this for a minute, when people decide to take some of their names to another parking company, to try it out and ect, do you receive a phone call or a e-mail from the parking company, that you changed from, begging you to bring those names back to their parking company? highly doubtful, unless you are making that company A Lot of money.

•••
troopscott said:
you are right x but if you have 1k domainers making $100 a day avg then they would have to listen would be aloss of 3 million in a month if domains were pulled

And that is going to be the hard part of it all, Finding 1000 domainers, making $100 a day, that will join such a union, or what ever it will be called.

Pulling a $100 a day from a person, is quite a commitment, That is $3000 a month, I don't know about any one else, But i have to pay my bills, and that $3000 would be a huge factor.

•••
We're thinking on two different levels of revenue X I'm sure people making 100.00 per month or less are around but I'm thinking the majority or at least a large part of the parking industry are earning at least hundreds per day with many earning thousands per day and even fewer earning tens of thousands per day.

I like it, I do it and hope everything works out.

Has anyone got evidence and willing to come forward with it? If not then what really is anyone even basing anything on?

I'm not necessarily saying to stop parking.....What I am agreeing with is that if enough domainers did stop, I am convinced in my own mind that The big dogs ~Feed Providers would certainly be effected. So many millions being spent in arbitrage every single day.

If we did stop then what would be the effect? I believe it would give Domain Business in general much exposure but then again is that really what we want?

.X. said:
If the parking companies were to loose 100 domainers, it wouldn't bother them, they can replace those 100 domainers, if they wish to do so easily, that is what i am thinking , DnPresident.

,, If a domainer that makes $100 a month, approaches a parking company, wanting to negotiate terms, the parking company is not going to listen, .

Last edited:
•••
troopscott said:
you are right x but if you have 1k domainers making $100 a day avg then they would have to listen would be aloss of 3 million in a month if domains were pulled

And that is going to be the hard part of it all, Finding 1000 domainers, making $100 a day, that will join such a union, or what ever it will be called.

Pulling a $100 a day from a person, is quite a commitment, That is $3000 a month, I don't know about any one else, But i have to pay my bills, and that $3000 would be a huge factor.

•••
.X. said:

The key is getting a significant # of people who are using one parking service to switch to another until the deal is struck. For example, get 1,000 sedo.com big dogs to switch to bodis.com (or whatever) for a few months won't hurt the person parking their domain a ton, but may make sedo more willing to change their TOS.

I think focusing on one parking company at a time is the only way to get what you want. If nothing else, these companies should increase their revenue share, even if they don't "negotiate" with the "unions".

•••
DnP - just for info. - I've got around 40 domains and make less than $5 dollars a month. I suspect there are lots of people in the same situation. I guess I should get myself some better names !

•••
40 good names

Hi advaita,

Either that or be happy with your $5 or you could always try another avenue with them, You've got Whypark and the possibility of development. Of course everyone's different.

Just because they only earn $5 per month doesn't weigh on whether they are good names...I've seen quite a few people with descent LLL.com names that do pretty poorly on the parking scene.

I'm not sure it's a situation your in, I guess you'd know the answer to that better than me. It's more like that's just the way you've chosen to manage your portfolio and I'm sure your correct that there are many in the $5 per month category with 40 domain names. 40 good names though could do quite well as I'm sure others here don't need more than that to do very well in Parking.

advaita said:
DnP - just for info. - I've got around 40 domains and make less than $5 dollars a month. I suspect there are lots of people in the same situation. I guess I should get myself some better names !

•••
"For the quarter ended September 30, NameMedia posted net income of $254,000 on revenue of $21 million. That compares to net income of $170,000 on revenue of $16.4 million in the prior year’s quarter. Online media accounted for about 54 percent of revenue in the most recent quarter with domain name sales and services accounting for the rest."

30 domainers making about $20-30K can have significant impact on any parking company.

•••
Without a doubt. I do believe though, that such a unity would attract more than 20-30 domainers. If there's a benefit to be had, i think that a large number of domainers would make use of such a movement and see sense in participating.

IB

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back