Domain Empire

Overall quality of posts is declining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I've been a namepros member for a few years. Especially during the last year I noticed a gradual decline in the overall quality of posts. Nowadays most topics are about very small details I wouldn't want to bother posting an answer.

Maybe you know that there is another forum called d.point which is totally low quality. It is worrying to see that namepros is becoming more like that forum over time.

You need to come up with some creative ideas to keep the quality higher.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have to admit I didn't read all posts and I'm not an expert, but I did run a small community forum for a while.

Before I post some suggestions, let me just say that the only reason why I joined this forum was because this forum was free and that other big forum wasn't. So, I completely agree with RJ. Implementing a monthly fee would shy away a lot of new members... let's face it, most domain newbies usually don't have enough money to pay a monthly forum fee.

What I do think might work, would be to have a "Premium" section of the forum for NamePros supporters and Business members. Free users would still have all the forum functionality as right now, except they wouldn't have access to the Premium section. While this would encourage members who are able to pay the mere $50 for a one year NamePros Supporters status, it might have a negative effect as well as some of the more experience members would start most threads in the premium section. But, I guess something could be worked out... maybe normal users could still read the forum but not reply.

In my experience, the best way to have a healthy, active, community is to award active members. This could be done by giving them special badges, by awarding them with a $8 coupon to a registrar (could be sponsored), or by just featuring them in the forum. By doing so, members would become more active.

As far as the quality of the posts, I think it might be due to the fact that most people who sign up are not very familiar with the domaining, they come here to learn. So a great way to teach those members would be if the more experienced domainers in the forum could hold weekly or monthly online seminars teaching them about domaining. This is often done in the Internet Marketing world, so why not do it here :)

The other suggestions for a wiki and a video section are great as well.

Just to touch on the subject of diversity, it is true that this forum has members from all over the world. This occasionally causes misunderstandings as not everyone speaks English as their first language. So, I would love to see a special member for each major language here in the forum that international members can go to if they need help or don't understand something.

In example, I speak German and Swedish, so if I was that special member then people from Germany and Sweden could contact me if they needed help with something. Ideally these people would be moderators.

And RJ, If you need help finding ways to monetize this site, just shoot my a PM. This site has a lot of potential money-wise, so you should never have to worry about loosing money :)

Last edited:
•••
I guess the definition of friends is different...I knew no one when I joined this forum.
I STILL know no one. I don't have anyone's back but my own.

Hey now Wendy. That's a bit harsh. I thought you and I were friends. We are even on eachother's friends list. :|

But anways, when we are talking about quality. I think the real answer here is to think back to when quality was better. What were we doing in the past that made things so great? Perhaps some of the quality that is going is because of what might have changed over time. Sometimes things change in a manner in which some don't notice them until now.

I can remember a time when the chat room use to be FULL of people. It would always have at least 20 people in it just about every day.

I remember a time when NP$ was much widely more used due to the fact that NP$ were backed by NamePros. Members could sell NP$ back to NamePros if it was ever needed. As of right now there is no guarantee someone will always be there to buy your NP$. Which creates risk when having them.

I can also remember a time when live domain auctions in the chat room was much more common. We use to pack people in the live auctions every time. It was always a big thing. Would have at least 100 people show up if not more.

I remember a time when NamePros radio was thriving the community and the staff would be as friendly as could be.

I remember a time when we would have HOLIDAY PARTIES! Prizes would be given away. Free hats, free shirts, free domain registrations.

I remember a time when we use to have CHARITY AUCTIONS to help raise money. People would always have a blast and have fun.

Things now, are just... different. The atmosphere is not the same. In my opinion, it all began when the look of the forum changed a while back and I believe NPQ took over for a while. Not to say it was the leadership or the look and feel of the design that changed the community. But other things that have changed as well along the way as mentioned above.

As for paid membership, that wouldn't do anything to help post quality. Those who want to contribute to the community can do so with the new options put in place for supporters. I was actually one of those who suggested allowing people to donate. It was a great idea. Just don't force everyone to do so. We want members to join and basically have a good time. Charging admission to do so does not always allow for that to happen. Many people here enjoy being able to talk here and participate in all areas without membership.

What would boost post quality though is incentives to make quality posts. A long time ago NamePros use to pay members NP$ for making quality posts. Perhaps that should be something that returns (not sure if it still exists or not). For those who make quality posts regularly, enable a feature that allows them to earn NP$ for each post and thread created as a special thank you treat.

Also are member of the month programs still going strong? Maybe offer incentives to those who make member of the month. Offer an NP$ reward, a couple of free domain registrations, and maybe throw in a hat.

Maybe there should be a team devoted to just working on promoting the community and making the community feel more like home to each and every member. The team should be asking questions, getting feedback from the members here on a regular basis and making sure people are not upset about things. If such a team already exists, they may not be doing their job as well as it could be done. I know it is a hard job for anyone to have. But it requires the right people to be in that position. I've worked at a resort before and I run my own local computer repair business and know what it takes to make people happy.

Last edited:
•••
snowbird,
I like your idea of comparing NP to a time when it was working better. However when I do this comparison the main differences I see are not the same things, well, some of them are.

I think the average user profile is changing and it is changing to a more amateur domainer. People who started domaining earlier are now too busy making money. People who started domaining later, can not succeed in this business. It is very difficult. There are now simply less people who are successful in domaining.

Especially if you have started domaining before 2000, there is a good chance that you have been successful in this business. If a small percentage of successful domainers would participate at namepros, this would have a high overall affect. I think that's what was happening before.

The challenges in domaining are outside namepros. Number of registered com domains have reached 100 million. Reg fee prices have risen slightly. They should go down in ratio of number of total domains to keep the same level of percentage of successful domainers. Domaining has become a losing game for most newcomers. The quality of domains an average domainer is dealing with is dropping.

This makes NP even a less desirable place for old timers who like to deal with better quality domains. If you are an old timer with a good portfolio would you want to waste your time at NP which is full with amateurs, low quality domains, low quality discussions? No.

So, that's what's happening. NP simply needs to adopt to changes in domaining. I think the correct question is, "How do you keep successful domainers at namepros who don't want to waste their time with low quality domains and discussions?"

I was reading a domainer blog and somebody wrote, namepros is a place where a bunch of amateurs give poor suggestions to other amateurs. This is how namepros is seen at the moment.

As for the community spirit, I posted a few suggestions for community action (protests etc) but it didn't get much support. If namepros was actively doing something for domainer rights, this alone would make many people forget about any other issue.

I feel like namepros doesn't care about domainers. It only cares about its own financial situation. I don't want to do something for this forum because I would get a free domain or because I would get some NP$. I want to something because I like this place.

Last edited:
•••
I see you have put a different twist on this Erdinc. And I believe you are right about some things. Domaining today just isn't what it use to be. Those who were successful had their day to shine and are probably still working with their portfolio from earlier as well as today. Those just starting out are not getting the results they expect which is understandable in this economy along with what domains are actually left to work with. I can remember a time when you could do plenty with new registrations in regards to investing them to sell later.

I can also understand that many of the questions asked by domainers helping other domainers have already been answered. So it is very understandable for experienced domainers to have an attitude of not wanting to help out newer domainers as much when the answers are already here on the forum. Rather than a domaining forum, I see this place as more of a marketplace as well as an area to discuss off topic items along with some things such as web hosting, etc.

•••
Such emphasis put on negative aspects of NamePros is a bitter pill to swallow, but I appreciate the candidness. It gives us a chance to brainstorm new ideas for improving our community. So thank you for putting your neck out there with new ideas.

I was absent from NamePros for a big portion of 2009 and 2010. During that time there wasn't much "new stuff" happening on NamePros. In addition there were management and moderation issues which I am sure affected the enjoyment of NamePros by some members. Our team is working together well now to address these issues. You may have already noticed a significant improvement in post quality since the date this thread was created.

The last few years changed the game for a lot of domainers and developers. I agree that the average profile of people entering the business is different than it was five years ago.

The business is different than it was five years ago.

NamePros remains a free and useful resource for domainers and developers to meet, exchange ideas and do business with one another. I don't believe that has changed.

Upgrades will come to fruition over time as I am either able to program them myself or hire developers to implement. SMS verification is one of these things in the works.

snowbird- you will be happy to hear we are now holding Live Auctions every two weeks in NamePros live chat. I believe the format has potential to do well and we continue to improve upon it. Domain categories and themed events are on the way.

We also held a pretty fun Holiday Party last December, on the same day we relaunched the live auctions. There's a good chance NPQueen will be hosting a Summer Party later this year. :D

Erdinc, I tried a domainer initiative a few years ago with the Domain Name Owners Association. Honestly, the experience was a lot like herding cats. I still believe its possible to successfully organize such an effort -- especially if you can get recognized by ICANN -- but that's not where my focus is right now.

The great thing about a forum like NamePros is it can provide members a venue for gathering support from likeminded individuals to form grassroots movements for whatever is important to them. It doesn't need to be a moderator or administrator to get an effort started... we're just normal people like you after all... but I have no doubt you would have moderators and administrator support if the subject has to do with domainer rights. Maybe you would be the right person to lead the charge!

At any rate, it's good to be back at NamePros. I feel like we're on the cusp of a new era in the business. It will be exciting to see what the future holds.

RJ

Last edited:
•••
we are now holding Live Auctions every two weeks in NamePros live chat. ... Domain categories and themed events are on the way.

This is one of the things I keep suggesting to Bido forever and keep ignoring it forever. I'm glad to hear you plan themed auctions.

Maybe you can also look into the videos. I posted links to another vbulletin forum that uses a video plugin. There are lots of hosted or embedded vbulletin video galeries. This is a good idea because it answers the question, Why should experienced domainers share information? Because in the videos they can mention their blog or site and increase traffic.

Also the podcast idea is a good one.

Also arranging the sales section as a table like these people are doing would be good.

SMS verification is used by other sites too:
http://domainlore.co.uk/member/register

On top of that we could have paypal verification. On this website it says:
"1 penny payment required for identity verification purposes"
http://www.dce.co.uk/staging/amember/signup.php?price_group=3
This is a good idea. You can get a lot of information, not just paypal account email, from a 1p paypal payment.

I also had this idea where members would vote and submit links for registrars, domain sites, hosting companies, domain blogs etc.

The wiki idea, I think it was mentioned by somebody else before me, was also very good.

I posted a couple of other suggestions. I don't remember now all of them. I guess I was in a good mood.

Can we also do something about mods? I don't sympathize with some of them the slightest, I guess mainly because of their snobbism. Can we make them for instance invisible so they wont walk around showing off? :] Moderating shouldn't be about being part of an elite group.

•••
Can we also do something about mods? I don't sympathize with some of them the slightest, I guess mainly because of their snobbism. Can we make them for instance invisible so they wont walk around showing off? :] Moderating shouldn't be about being part of an elite group.

You don't sympathize?? Well who are you? and who cares?

You know what Erdinc, sometimes you come up with some pretty
good ideas, but you have to get over this fascination of a grudge
you have with "us mods" There were issues because of what you
were doing, not us - you just didn't like the fact it didn't turn out your way...
get over it and move on man - that was how long ago??

I'm so tired of you telling me I can't participate in a forum I have
been a member of for over 5 years, and I am not allowed to voice an opinion or post in a thread because you think there
is another "motive" of gang activity...gimme a break!

My opinions are my opinions and if they are the same as someone else's - so be it! and if they aren't, I'd be concerned!

I am not going anywhere Erdinc, and if you don't like that - well
then maybe you should. :tu:

•••
Can't we just all be friends?!??! :)

ChampsLetsAllGetTogetherFanClub.jpg

Seriously, some members here need to change their attitudes. Yes, you do have more posts and you do have more experience, but that doesn't make it ok for you to look down upon everyone else and act as if you're better.

I have no problems with the mods, in fact the ones I've talked with so far have been extremely nice and helpful! :)

Let's just move along and be friends :)

peace%20sign%20coloring%20pages%202.gif

•••
I personally want to thank all of the mods here at NP. We have a team of over 30 VOLUNTEERS who assist in keeping NamePros running and mostly spam free, they work to ensure the scammers are not taking advantage of our members and that your issues and concerns are addressed ASAP. It isn't an easy job and they are only human. So if you caught one of them on a bad day, I'm sorry. My PM box is always open should you have an issue with a Mod that you would like someone to look into further, this has always been the case. I can't work to resolve an issue I have no knowledge of.

~Rachel

•••
Such emphasis put on negative aspects of NamePros is a bitter pill to swallow, but I appreciate the candidness. It gives us a chance to brainstorm new ideas for improving our community. So thank you for putting your neck out there with new ideas.

I think the emphasis on the bad points is because those are what the community believes need to be addressed.
The good points don't need to be emphasised- as the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". NamePros is an awesome community, with a good general community vibe and a "we're in this together" mentality. I love that I can come here and pick up a bargain too.
I'm I paid up member of 'the other forum' are rarely contribute- there's less of a community spirit I find. (Or it might just be that I feel more out of it as I don't post and engage there). I dislike the layout of the sales forums over there too, another reason why I like NP better.

Back to the original point, and the decline in general post quality... why not re-order the forums? Put 'Domain Newbies' up the top. I'm guessing that more of the 'noob' questions will go there instead of clogging up the 'Domain Discussion' forum. People who want to can just skip to the discussion forum below, and then with the newbies forum in position one, more experienced members might frequent to answer questions (with it being in position 7, I often miss it out- and I'm sure I could answer 9/10 questions there). This will then increase the quality of that subforum too. It's win-win.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back