IT.COM

Overall quality of posts is declining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi,

I've been a namepros member for a few years. Especially during the last year I noticed a gradual decline in the overall quality of posts. Nowadays most topics are about very small details I wouldn't want to bother posting an answer.

Maybe you know that there is another forum called d.point which is totally low quality. It is worrying to see that namepros is becoming more like that forum over time.

You need to come up with some creative ideas to keep the quality higher.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'll agree with that. There are many forums that are going down hill due to text talk and other forms of speech that is not English. Now I know my grammar is not the best and my english is my first and only language but I still like to write post with quality.

•••
I don't think he's referring to spelling and grammar mistakes. I've also felt that the quality of threads, posts, and activity has been lessened. There just doesn't seem to be much to talk about, and the community seems a lot less like a community than it used to be, it just seems more like a user-made database. I think it's possible that a lot of it could have something to do with the fact that NP$ has a lot less value than it used to since we can't use it to register domains, and the auctions don't seem to happen anymore. That may have driven away some people.

I used to enjoy being here because there was often a lot going on, and a lot of purpose to be here. I've tried to come back to the community, but I find myself stopping in a few times per day, but never for long. I read a few threads, get bored, and leave.

This place has just kind of lost its spark. It needs a purpose.

•••
We are interested in finding new ways of engaging the NamePros community. One thing we are looking forward to is the return of our live events.

Thank you for the feedback.

•••
What do you mean by live events?
I'm thinking some live auctions might do the trick, I'm not talking about auctions in the section I mean REAL live, chartroom auctions anyone?

•••
What do you mean by live events?
I'm thinking some live auctions might do the trick, I'm not talking about auctions in the section I mean REAL live, chartroom auctions anyone?

I believe that was what Rj was referring to but I'm not sure and won't put words in his mouth. Now as far as the overall reduction in quality of posts I feel this is something that stems from the economy as of presently. I think it works a little something like this Economy goes down = Less buyers = Less Activity and fluctuation of products "domains"...Now In turn without the activity we don't have quality posts but I could be off in this assumption.

Me as a mod I'm always open to new idea's if you have some fire away and let us know! I'm willing to pass all idea's to upper management right away!

Let's work this out and get the quality back up to par and more the way it use to be! Namepros for the win!

Great conversation thread here and well worth talking it out honestly....So lets hear what you got to say for ideas!

•••
How about a paid(nominal amount) membership only? Will discourage atleast some spammers/scammers.
Meanwhile we can have a forum section where any thread giving out domaining knowledge is visible to free members also.
This way we won't be restricting new people learning and growing, also the post quality issues shall be taken care too.

•••
How about a paid(nominal amount) membership only? Will discourage atleast some spammers/scammers.
Meanwhile we can have a forum section where any thread giving out domaining knowledge is visible to free members also.
This way we won't be restricting new people learning and growing, also the post quality issues shall be taken care too.

With complaints of lessened quality, I honestly think that would kill the forum. I'd rather see this place go the other direction (not dead).

I'd have to put some thought into suggestions, but like I said before, this place used to feel more like a community, but now it feels more like a user-created database of domaining information. Maybe the member passion has died, maybe it's the economy. In either case, we need to find a way to make people want to be involved.

•••
Perhaps a rate-this-thread where if it got say five negative it was relegated into the "Thread abyss".

One idea - a hot page. That is a page that represents the threads that are highly rated and active (criteria would be subjective).

It does mean that other threads MAY get less traffic and as a result the focus is TOO shifted. To combat this:

Have a page where 1/3 is Hot/Live/Rated topics and 2/3 Recently Updated.

•••
I would post some ideas, but I'm afraid of getting my account cancelled if I mention that the emporer -just- -might- -be- naked.

Let me share just one significantly negative NamePros experience:

1. I register for NamePros (c. 2007).

2. NamePros needs my birthday info for a very limited purpose: access to adult forums (c. 2008)

3. NamePros decides to jump on the social bandwagon with some vbulletin addon(s) (c. 2010). NamePros decides to share my birthday information with anyone who visits my profile page. But wait their privacy policy assures us that NP does not share or otherwise divulge personal information. Hmm.

And no, they do not advise users like me about it. And yes that is precisely the same as what Facebook is getting sued for. No opt in. I can't say for other jurisdictions, but that is against the privacy law here in California to my knowledge.

I'm not a lawman, but I don't need to be in order to recognize self-righteous attitude. To me it isn't so much about NP breaking the law as it's about NP not caring about my personal info.

You're right erdinc this place really has gone downhill. I held hope when RJ seemed to come back but then about the only improvement I've seen since then is that he made the default forum font bigger again. It's the right move but does he do it for he users or for himself?

•••
2. NamePros needs my birthday info for a very limited purpose: access to adult forums (c. 2008)

3. NamePros decides to jump on the social bandwagon with some vbulletin addon(s) (c. 2010). NamePros decides to share my birthday information with anyone who visits my profile page. But wait their privacy policy assures us that NP does not share or otherwise divulge personal information. Hmm.

And no, they do not advise users like me about it. And yes that is precisely the same as what Facebook is getting sued for. No opt in. I can't say for other jurisdictions, but that is against the privacy law here in California to my knowledge.

I'm not a lawman, but I don't need to be in order to recognize self-righteous attitude. To me it isn't so much about NP breaking the law as it's about NP not caring about my personal info.

You're right erdinc this place really has gone downhill. I held hope when RJ seemed to come back but then about the only improvement I've seen since then is that he made the default forum font bigger again. It's the right move but does he do it for he users or for himself?

If you go to your profile you will find the following options

Hide date and age of birth
Display only age
Display only day and month of birth
Display age and full date of birth

:)

You only had to look :blink:

•••
Thanks for the spirited feedback, hollywood. Aside from the birthdate issue that mellow addressed, are there other improvements you wish to see?

•••
Thanks for the spirited feedback, hollywood. Aside from the birthdate issue that mellow addressed, are there other improvements you wish to see?

RJ,

I have to agree with one of the members, we should make membership on this forum paid. Like dnf, this way scammers will expose their paypal, or form of payment and if the payment is reversed then NP will know their scammers and close their account.

We should as a community stand by one another and support NP.

•••
RJ,

I have to agree with one of the members, we should make membership on this forum paid. Like dnf, this way scammers will expose their paypal, or form of payment and if the payment is reversed then NP will know their scammers and close their account.

I will leave. If that matters.

Pay or no pay has nothing to do with paying to be a member.

If the reason was that RJ was going broke or losing money - that's a different issue.

•••

If the reason was that RJ was going broke or losing money - that's a different issue.

go ahead and leave we dont need members like you on this forum, the interest of our community is at stake, members accounts are being hacked and used to scam members, new accounts are created and used by scammers, if your not interested in paying a fee to protect our community then pack your bags and go to dp

•••
go ahead and leave we dont need members like you on this forum, the interest of our community is at stake, members accounts are being hacked and used to scam members, new accounts are created and used by scammers, if your not interested in paying a fee to protect our community then pack your bags and go to dp

I fail to see how members accounts being hacked has anything to do with a membership fee. How are account being hacked? That's the issue. Fix that hole.

I'm sorry you don't see me as a valued member of this forum. For some reason I thought that trying to contribute via content and participation was of value to people here. If RJ said the community was at stake and explained why then I would likely reconsider my position.

My point was simply to say that there are many people who don't want to pay to be part of a forum. Many people will leave. The problem that most forums have is a LACK OF DIVERSITY. If you want to close ranks and keep the riff raff out - consider the valuable future members you also keep out and the valuable members you lose. Not everyone who contributes IS a domainer.

Domaining is fickle. Forums can die and be replaced.

I know that I can get what I need in other places. I come here because it is imho the best place, the nicest place, the most fun place, and a free place to share ideas. Also its a PLACE versus PLACES.

I think that there are other methods to combat the issues that you refer to. Most forums have a period of "moderator approval" required for initial posts. This is probably more effective than any pricing model that would be significant enough to STOP people signing up - it has the downside of being EXTREMELY time consuming.

You could remove this for new members who come with a "referral". Let someone else put their reputation on it.

If the fee was nominal then I would likely stay but that isn't a deterrent. You'd have to put in a larger fee and this would be a deterrent to both those you want out and those you want to keep. I'm different from a lot of people here in my goals and what I want to achieve. Other people NEED this forum, I don't. I ENJOY this forum.

There is a kind of contradiction in forums. On the one hand you own a valuable service - aggregating a lot of great people and great ideas. On the other hand - you don't contribute the great ideas. There are people who are members who could argue they already DONATE their time Free of Charge. I've never received a dime for what I consider to be a very valuable commodity - my time.

I'm sure RJ has considered all this many times. I doubt this forum makes anywhere near as much money as it probably deserves to. It's a tough business to be in and I do wish him the best of luck in keeping NP the best forum available. Much RESPECT.

•••
1. I would like to see SMS verification (like sedo does) for users who want to post in the domain sales section at namepros.

2. I also would like to see a small NP$ fee for opening threads in the sales section.

3. I would like to see a links directory where NP members would submit links and vote for them. For instance I would like to see a directory for domain registrars and another directory for hosting companies. Members should be able to vote and submit links.
This could be a list like domaining.com does but with the option for namepros members to vote and add list items. For instance what are best domainer blogs, best parking companies, best registrars, best hosts etc? Nobody knows. This is called collective intelligence and used by sites like digg and delicious.

4. I would like to see a videos section where members would be add domain videos.

5. For supporter and business accounts video embedding and image tags could be allowed to forum posts.

6. I had too much problem upgrading from supporter to business member. Still it is not fixed. I think
the order of actions needs to changed for this case. I would suggest first cancelling the supporter account and issuing a partial refund for unused time.

7. NP administration and moderators are like a small team acting together against the members. This is maybe not the best way of doing things. Some moderators are too harsh.

8. The community spirit is poor. Some community action and boycotts can be organised against some companies. For instance Enom has just suspended a pharma domain after making a deal with an organisation that represents the industry. The registrars are going to make deals with music or fashion industry and they will suspend generic domains without warning. Many domainers could lose their generic domains because of these suspensions.

Another example would be intrustdomains.com who lets you backorder domains but when they catch it they keep the domain for themselves and list it for sale on their site. There are too many things messed up in this industry. There are a lot of unjustified wipo cases. I would like to see some articles or site news outside the forum area about these.

Let's do something exciting as a community. For instance the Kentucky gambling domain case is disturbing. Let's organise some community action against that.

9. You have a section for suggestions which I used multiple times but then gave up because nobody cares. It would be great if those suggestions can be made into a list and users can add new items and vote for existing items.

For instance I want "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" to be removed as default when posting forum messages. It is an annoying feature. A lot of members would agree if they were aware that this is what annoys them all the time.

10. A wiki section could be created and a team of experts could be assigned to different sections. So when somebody asks what pending delete means it should be possible to give a link where they can read and watch a video about this and see related subjects and related discussions (hand picked from forum topics).

11. I suggest a new user group called "editors". These could be selected forum members who have good knowledge in certain areas. It would be expected from editors that they have good knowledge in their field, they are willing share information and help people, they use a proper language and punctuation when writing. In return editors could be given some extra features that is available to business members.

12. What happened to namepros radio? This was a good idea. I would like to see some expert talking about this weeks subjects. Then those sound files could be archived somewhere accessible. Maybe the name could be changed from namepros radio to namepros podcast or domainer podcast.

•••
I'm not sure how making membership paid for is going to solve much, it may even kill of the community to only loyal members drying up domain buyers and sellers who don't want to pay to post on the forums. I know a lot of people want live auctions back and that could be a positive thing to bring back, and maybe instead of saying thanks for the feedback, maybe act upon some of it :guilty:

•••
Paid membership isn't necessary. Only posting in some sections like for sale section could be made more selective by introducing SMS verification (to increase security) and a small NP$ fee per thread (to reduce low quality).

•••
Paid membership isn't necessary. Only posting in some sections like for sale section could be made more selective by introducing SMS verification (to increase security) and a small NP$ fee per thread (to reduce low quality).

Small NP$ fee wont solve anything ethir.

To big and people wont post, drying up sellers and therefore buyers.

To small and it wont prevent anything because you can earn it within a few mins.

SMS verification is a bit unfair to the members who don't own mobile phones.

•••
SMS verification is a very good strategy because:

1. Scammers who try to sell stolen domains would not continuously come back with new namepros accounts so easily because they would need a new mobile phone number for each account. It would be discouraging for them. Most of them would post in other forums.

2. Ordinary members would post more carefully trying to avoid bad language because they wouldn't want to lose their namepros account even if it was created yesterday because it would be more difficult to open a new account.

The idea is that somehow you need to avoid a troubled user just to create another account and come back over and over again. Currently if you spot somebody selling stolen domains and suspend his account, the person can easily create another account in seconds.

•••

1. Scammers who try to sell stolen domains would not continuously come back with new namepros accounts so easily because they would need a new mobile phone number for each account. It would be discouraging for them. Most of them would post in other forums.

2. Ordinary members would post more carefully trying to avoid bad language because they wouldn't want to lose their namepros account even if it was created yesterday because it would be more difficult to open a new account.

The idea is that somehow you need to avoid a troubled user just to create another account and come back over and over again. Currently if you spot somebody selling stolen domains and suspend his account, the person can easily create another account in seconds.

Again what about the people it will exclude because they do not own a mobile phone.

•••
You only had to look :blink:

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

What else is there beside Mellow Mashers self-righteousness that blinds her to the issue? In her fantasy world where only everyone else's sh*t stinks, it could not possibly be that NP implemented the new feature and in the process defaulted my NP account into info sharing without my consent. So it is OBVIOUSLY "user error" on my part in her limited world where everyone smiles all the time and drinks the kool-aid.

Will she next tell me where to find my p*nis? LOL you have the blind modding those with sight.

RJ, I understand cya from a biz standpoint but come on, please. You call mm's response adequate?

Please see point #7 by Erdinc above, that would be my next suggestion. Because it really is that simple imho. If you don't want sheep for users, don't treat your users like sheep.

And finally, although Erdinc has an interesting idea for the sales threads I believe that two-point SMS authentication has already been breached.

•••
It is nice to see some genuine feedback. THANK YOU.

RJ,

Thank you for that. I agree, the NamePros community spirit is all about standing together, helping each another when we can, sharing our knowledge, reviews, appraisals, being professional in our dealings, and always giving back to the community. That's how I define a :great:

It's true, member retention and quality participation will be better (on a per-member basis) on a paid board because people are more "invested". I'm sure moderation is a lot easier on a closed/paid forum also.

People act their best and network their arses off at TRAFFIC because they spent $3k to be there and want to see a return on it. If it was free to be there, the crowd and their behavior would be completely different. That's not a good thing nor a bad. Some people prefer closed/secret/paid communities, others prefer an open/free model.

For me it feels completely out of place to think of NamePros being a paid community. We would miss out on a lot of diversity with new members; the loss of many potentially excellent NamePros members who never join because there was a fee involved. This site is seven years old now. We have members who joined here when they were kids in high school and are now among the titans of this industry. Other guys like Dave Gridley who like to keep us entertained with new threads in The Break Room. These are members who are valued in the NP community and I hate to think we would lose people like that by becoming a paid site.

We do have a Supporter option for members who wish to support NamePros with a paid membership. It has not been a hugely popular option since we introduced it, but it is there and Rachel & I do very much appreciate those Supporting and Business Members that help us keep the lights turned on at NamePros.

If you are in favor of paid memberships, you could better avoid scammers by insisting on only dealing with other NamePros members who are also Paid Supporters. There is a badge in the member's postbit and profile where you can see their Supporter or Business Member status.

Yes, it would matter to me if we lost you as a member. As I was just commenting above, I would hate to lose potentially good members because we decided to charge a fee to everyone.

I am genuinely interested why it is important in your decision making wheather I am going broke or losing money. Can you elaborate?

NamePros is self-sustaining now, but there have been several uncomfortable stretches of time where I was losing money running this forum. Advertisements didn't cover expenses.

The reality is domainers just don't click on Adsense ads. I don't know who actually does, but I would hug them if I could (and not have to worry about giving too many hugs!) PPC is among the worst types of income to depend on.

1. I would like to see SMS verification (like sedo does) for users who want to post in the domain sales section at namepros.

This is new to me. I will Google about SMS verification, but let me know if you have any tips or resources to point me to. Sounds interesting, maybe as an added optional layer of security.

2. I also would like to see a small NP$ fee for opening threads in the sales section.

SitePoint does something like that, charging fees to start threads selling domains or websites. It would surely decrease the number of sales threads. I'm not sure if this would work at NamePros. I would like to hear more feedback about this.

3. I would like to see a links directory where NP members would submit links and vote for them. For instance I would like to see a directory for domain registrars and another directory for hosting companies. Members should be able to vote and submit links.

This could be a list like domaining.com does but with the option for namepros members to vote and add list items. For instance what are best domainer blogs, best parking companies, best registrars, best hosts etc? Nobody knows. This is called collective intelligence and used by sites like digg and delicious.

I like this idea and the idea of letting members submit and vote on links. We have discussed doing a Business Directory before and it's overdue that we do something like this.

This reminds me, I also want to get our Registrar Review section updated and add a section like that for Monetization Services and Website Developers.

4. I would like to see a videos section where members would be add domain videos.

Like a gallery of NamePros created YouTube Videos? Tutorials and such?

5. For supporter and business accounts video embedding and image tags could be allowed to forum posts.

Good suggestion, I will try to implement this ASAP.

6. I had too much problem upgrading from supporter to business member. Still it is not fixed. I think
the order of actions needs to changed for this case. I would suggest first cancelling the supporter account and issuing a partial refund for unused time.

Agreed. We need to improve this.

7. NP administration and moderators are like a small team acting together against the members. This is maybe not the best way of doing things. Some moderators are too harsh.

I have been away from active moderator duty for some time. Being a moderator is not always easy on a forum of this size. The rules are posted for everyone to read and follow. If rules are not being applied fairly, or if the rule itself is too harsh please let myself or NPQueen know.

8. The community spirit is poor. Some community action and boycotts can be organised against some companies. For instance Enom has just suspended a pharma domain after making a deal with an organisation that represents the industry. The registrars are going to make deals with music or fashion industry and they will suspend generic domains without warning. Many domainers could lose their generic domains because of these suspensions.

Another example would be intrustdomains.com who lets you backorder domains but when they catch it they keep the domain for themselves and list it for sale on their site. There are too many things messed up in this industry. There are a lot of unjustified wipo cases. I would like to see some articles or site news outside the forum area about these.

Let's do something exciting as a community. For instance the Kentucky gambling domain case is disturbing. Let's organise some community action against that.

A united NamePros community could serve as a big voice in the domain industry. I am all in favor of members organizing on the forums to bring change to the business. What can we do to encourage this?

9. You have a section for suggestions which I used multiple times but then gave up because nobody cares. It would be great if those suggestions can be made into a list and users can add new items and vote for existing items.

For instance I want "Automatically retrieve titles from external links" to be removed as default when posting forum messages. It is an annoying feature. A lot of members would agree if they were aware that this is what annoys them all the time.

Noted.

10. A wiki section could be created and a team of experts could be assigned to different sections. So when somebody asks what pending delete means it should be possible to give a link where they can read and watch a video about this and see related subjects and related discussions (hand picked from forum topics).

This would be an excellent addition.

11. I suggest a new user group called "editors". These could be selected forum members who have good knowledge in certain areas. It would be expected from editors that they have good knowledge in their field, they are willing share information and help people, they use a proper language and punctuation when writing. In return editors could be given some extra features that is available to business members.

This is similar to how I envisioned our moderation team operating in the discussion forums, as experts leading the discussions in their respective categories.

12. What happened to namepros radio? This was a good idea. I would like to see some expert talking about this weeks subjects. Then those sound files could be archived somewhere accessible. Maybe the name could be changed from namepros radio to namepros podcast or domainer podcast.

It was a time consuming task to keep generating new programming on a regular basis. As much as I would love to get it going again, I don't see it happening on our current budget.

I'm not sure how making membership paid for is going to solve much, it may even kill of the community to only loyal members drying up domain buyers and sellers who don't want to pay to post on the forums. I know a lot of people want live auctions back and that could be a positive thing to bring back, and maybe instead of saying thanks for the feedback, maybe act upon some of it :guilty:

Live auctions are great and I've had several requests to bring them back. I hope to be able to do them again soon.

Small NP$ fee wont solve anything ethir.

To big and people wont post, drying up sellers and therefore buyers.

To small and it wont prevent anything because you can earn it within a few mins.

SMS verification is a bit unfair to the members who don't own mobile phones.

Good discussion about SMS and the problem of duplicate accounts. Going to go look into it now.

RJ

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

hollywood, I know we had the privacy option to hide your DOB from the date we added the age restrictions on adult forums. If there was a breakdown in our scripts, this is the first I have heard.

Last edited:
•••
For me it feels completely out of place to think of NamePros being a paid community. We would miss out on a lot of diversity with new members; the loss of many potentially excellent NamePros members who never join because there was a fee involved.

I am genuinely interested why it is important in your decision making wheather I am going broke or losing money. Can you elaborate?

I'm glad you feel the same as I do about diversity. This is one of the best things about the forum.

I think that charging money to circumvent other issues seems like a poor reason to charge. If Namepros is threatened because the ads don't cover costs and those costs are managed then I'd be much more willing to support the site because I think it is a tremendously valuable resource.

To me there is a difference between charging for some strange security reason (which would keep members away) and charging because it genuinely makes a difference to the site and its smooth operation.

Do you take paypal? I'd consider becoming a sponsor. This feature is really not advertised at all. I was unaware of it other than I noticed that some people had it listed in their id.

This voluntary system is much preferable. And I agree. Sponsorship would definitely differentiate those who have an interest in the forum from those that don't.

As a community that would be the way to differentiate. I wouldn't mind if it was such that non-sponsors couldn't hold auctions. That would be fair to me - you get access to all the resources except the one that brings in money.

People having auctions could choose to not accept bids from non-supporters. If that single move were encouraged you'd see a much better sponsorship rate I think. At $5 a month it might add $5 to your first purchase.. not a big deal.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back