Dynadot

Over a million websites seized in global operation

Labeled as news in Domain Industry News started by iDestroyer, Nov 27, 2018.

Replies:
Views:

1. iDestroyer

iDestroyer Established Member

WASHINGTON – More than 1 million copyright-infringing website domain names selling counterfeit automotive parts, electrical components, personal care items and other fake goods were criminally and civilly seized in the past year through the combined efforts of law-enforcement agencies across the world, high-profile industry representatives and anti-counterfeiting associations.

The ongoing intellectual property enforcement initiative targeting fake websites, dubbed Operation In Our Sites, was facilitated by the National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination Center (IPR Center), a joint-task force agency led by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The IPR Center, which stands at the forefront of the U.S. government’s response to IP theft, worked directly with key international law-enforcement authorities and industry organizations representing the electronics sector, luxury brand-name designers, film and entertainment and several entities specializing in apparel and accessories through the major enforcement effort.

FULL STORY

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. NYJimbo

NYJimbo Domain Re-Animator Gold Account

The mind boggles.....

3. FolioTeam

FolioTeam Established Member

That's too many fake websites

4. Hardheolar

Hardheolar Established Member

Loads of them

5. ecomslice

ecomslice Established Member

so should we be asking ,

A- where is a list
    B- will they be deleted or released to registrar via expiration or reg

6. alcy

alcy Active Member VIP

these writers do not care for extensions

but its probably first thing us here are curious bout

guess we'll never really know.

7. wesley sweatman

wesley sweatman durfer VIP

8. CJ6

CJ6 He did it, not me VIP

When will they be for sale?

9. DnameAgame

DnameAgame BrandPlease.com, see [email protected] BuyNa.me Gold Account

just watch the registrar stats, I guess, we should see a 1 mil drop at a reg, or extention, if there is enough concentration is any. Cant think of an easier way off the top.

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP

The 6 quoted in the article are all .com, but with that many I expect there are a mix of TLDs.

As I understand it they were seized because sold counterfeit goods, not necessarily TM infringement (although some of both I am sure), so per se the domain names are not improper, but rather how they were being used.

11. wesley sweatman

wesley sweatman durfer VIP

well, where are they to reg? lol.

12. DnameAgame

DnameAgame BrandPlease.com, see [email protected] BuyNa.me Gold Account

You know it's interesting and I wonder if it includes fake watches. For some reason I get tons of links to - clearly stated by the website, fake or replica. They look pretty darn real and some are not cheap - but never bought one. But they all offer every brand name and model. bet it a bunch of those guys, it would be way to easy to google search and get a huge list to go after. who knows, yet

13. TestCase

TestCase Note: Doesn't play well with others. VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Interesting question.

Normally I'd assume the domains would be treated like evidence in a criminal case and be held until the case is resolved. BUT these cases could go on for a while and that would mean a LOT of renewal$$$.

Maybe @jberryhill has some insight. (Or not...)

Personally I don't think I'd want to purchase "copyright-infringing website domain names" - especially tainted ones such as these. Plus you know the IP holders will be keeping an eye on them for years to come.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  14. DomainRecap

DomainRecap Established Member

Lucky all these big companies all contributed to the Trump campaign fund, huh?

But a poor kid gets murdered in NYC and it's just one more file on-top of a huge pile for one tired cop.

15. TestCase

TestCase Note: Doesn't play well with others. VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

And how exactly is this related to this thread's topic?!?!? :facepalm::banghead::inpain:

16. DomainRecap

It just sickens me that law enforcement is expanding funding to make the rich corporations even richer, but decreasing funding to detect and deter violent crimes against the actual real-live people out there.

We all need to get together, pool our money and make a monster contribution to the political candidates that dwarfs anything corporations can deliver.

17. CJ6

I think my political candidates may differ from yours. Therefore, who chooses them?

Red Forman for president!
    (Edit, changed Darth Vader to Red Forman. I like Red better. He's more down to Earth. (Get it?))

18. DomainRecap

I think you are attempting humor here, but obviously I was referring to the 2 main political candidates for head office. If you're looking to curry political influence, no need to waste cash on the also-rans.

19. CJ6

If you are talking about pooling money to go to a candidate, no matter who it is (pay affiliation), then who chooses them? I wouldn't want my money going to a candidate that I think is corrupt. I don't vote for candidates I think are corrupt (or are the most corrupt of the options).

Mods, feel free to delete. This is way off-topic.

20. DomainRecap

Good one. :xf.grin:

21. CJ6

Unfortunately, most of them are corrupt.

22. ecomslice

ecomslice Established Member

Well since the thread is hijacked anyways , Shameless plug

SrRed / com for your cause. make end user offer . , haha, joking.

23. Kate

Kate Domainosaurus Rex VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

24. iAchilles

iAchilles Active Member VIP

Not always the case. They tend to renew them indefinitely to prevent them from being reused. I have a few nice names on my watch list that were once used in such a way and they've been renewed since 2014. :(

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: