IT.COM

Opinions Needed: GoDaddy / Dynadot / Others for Pricing and Reliability

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am in need of opinions from you fellow domaining experts on the various registrars out there. I host a bulk of my domain portfolio at GoDaddy (98% .com names in portfolio) and with adding more and more names, the GoDaddy cost is getting to the point it is uncomfortable, especially at renewal time. A .com name for 1 more year with extra protection costs roughly $32.

I have a few domains with Dynadot / Cosmotown / Sav / Epik. I really like these other platforms as they are easy to use, and are MUCH cheaper.

Basically I have 3 tiers of domains:
- Premium Domains (i don't mind leaving these on GoDaddy for peace of mind)
- Domains I actively use for important projects
- Domains I use for less important projects / hold to maybe sell one day

So, my question is, for the bulk of the domains I have, which fall in the "less important projects or hold to sell", what are the pros/cons of moving from GoDaddy to one of these other registrars? I don't want to pay $32 for each of these names to renew again, because that is insanity. Am I going to miss out on anything by switching from GD, and also, what is that extra $9.99 i pay for protection really doing for me and the domain?

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I am in need of opinions from you
I've started using namecheap, dynadot and porkbun...they all have been easy to use and customer support has been responsive.

DO NOT pay over $15 a com (including privacy) no matter who you use.

•••
$32 is an absolute piss take.....

I predominately use Dynadot with some at NameCheap, PorkBun and Namebright - No issues with any of them....No fast transfer with Namebright, but not a big deal for me with the domains I hold there....

•••
All the mentioned providers are reliable.
Namesilo and CloudFlare are also a suggestion. Also also Name but is not amoung the cheapest.
However I suggest Namebright GUI if you need to manage many domains

•••
•••
Thanks for the input so far everyone! Just as a heads up though, I refuse to use NameCheap. I transferred all of my domains except for 2 out last year. Personal reasons.

•••
Namecheap is cheap with coupons but renewals are a problem.

•••
Namecheap is cheap with coupons but renewals are a problem.
The NC panel for quickly reviewing domains and nameservers is a challenge. Dynadot's interface is much easier to manage, and allows the FT and Sedo MLS to be readily turned on and off.

Like you, I had a reluctance to move domains from GoDaddy, having had them there for many years. The prices really started going up, and were a very strong motivator to move the domains elsewhere. What was reassuring was that they have had some transfer deals. Worse comes to worse, if you're unhappy with the new registrar, you could transfer them back to GD with the discount prices.

For myself, trying other registrars has been a good experience. It has led to significant savings on those pesky renewal fees.

•••
I had some domains with namecheap, i moved them to another host and if I transfer them back to namecheap will it still be "100 domains to Namecheap for $7.16". Also is it only for first year or renwal year is for same price to?

•••
•••
@Cush Did you know that GoDaddy has the Domain Discount Club (DCC).

I know a bunch of people hate GoDaddy, but it works for me (I reserve the right to change my mind :xf.wink:).

Just an FYI:
The Premium Membership is 240.00 a year. That is a lot of moola.... do the math:
240 dcc cost / dot com is 9.45 with the DCC = 25.40 domains at 9.45, so if you own more than 26 domains, DCC pays for it's self. They give discounts on the other extensions too.
Go here to see the price list:
https://www.godaddy.com/domains/discount-domain-club

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back