NameSilo

OlympicGolds.com... what would you do?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I registerd this name several month ago and never used because I got scared after reading about many troubles with trademark infringments.

At that time I was trying to list this Name at GreatDomains because I heard they only trade with 1st class names and you see Olympic Golds is very actractive (especially in view of the Olympics2006) and is build on two strong keywords.
GreatDomains rejected the submission because they say the name was infringing german trademarks laws.
Few days later I received an e-mail from a german trademark site where it was written "sorry, you're too late, contact your attorney in law..." and nothing else.

I replied to this guy asking if he was a scammer or something like that because I didn't like someone unknown talk to me that way....he didn't replied, just he sent to me a link to his german site about trademarks, where I were not able to understand anything...(even throught the english interface).

I investigated on this subject and I found that there was a connection between this German trademark offfice and greatdomain (GD was an affiliate).

I wrote to the IOC (International Olympic Committee) asking some information if I could use this name ect. but I never got an answer.
I went to many sites about trademarks and I found a document (about 1953 or so ) were it is written that the use of the word "olympic" is forbidden for any use and in whatever combination into a phrase (except for those companies who registered an olympionic trademark before such date)....that apply in every country that recognize...bla bla...something..except.....bla bla..
to make it short I decided better to no risk and I forgot about this name.....until now when I remebered about the 2006 olympic games....

I thought no to develope the site, as was my first intention (could be a cool site about the winners of a gold in the olympiads,the so called Olympionics, trough the history that I guess would receive a quite high good amout of well qualified traffic....) but instead just join it in some good monetization program.....(publicity:monetize.it is for sale by genialnames.com - end of infomercial )
:gn:
so I come to the question:

what would you do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, maybe you could start the site something about the history of olympics, and maybe stating which country won the most gold medals etc..

•••
as was my first intention (could be a cool site about the winners of a gold in the olympiads,the so called Olympionics, trough the history
that was I had in mind at the begininng.

My position at the present is that I will easely incour in some trouble if I develope the site the way you suggest,
I am thinking instead what if I earn money parking the domain, without to develope it?

•••
Well, maybe it would be better if you would to sell the domain.

•••
I say park it for a little while and see if it gets any traffic. If it does, then great. If it doesn't, oh well. Most likely the olympics will come find you if it does generate a good amount of traffic. Who knows, maybe they will offer to buy it from you. ;)

•••
Of course I would, but even I'mnot sure if I am allowed to do so, I wouldn't to cheat anyone, and at the moment I have too few informations about the real situation regard the possible trademarks infringments.

Btw, would you interested?

PM me an offer if

•••
Yeah, you're right. The best you can do is wait and see what happens. Maybe spend a little more time gathering some information. Are there any numbers you can call? Some organizations are slow to react to email.

•••
ops urban, forgive me I replied to torquex and didn't noticed your post ...
I say park it for a little while and see if it gets any traffic. If it does, then great. If it doesn't, oh well. Most likely the olympics will come find you if it does generate a good amount of traffic. Who knows, maybe they will offer to buy it from you.
Yes that's what I am thinking, just wondering if in such case I am out from any infringment, since I would have not related content....
the site was parked at domainsite , just forgotten, I found few hors ago he had 179 visits...not much but it is not dead.

•••
Yeah, just park it for a few weeks or a couple of months and see what happens. Hopefully something good on your part! :)

•••
Parking the domain

Hello,

How can you make money by parking a domain? The whole concept is very vague to me?

•••
You park it at places like sedo and they keep track of how many unique visitors you have. They also keep track how many clicks per page. They pay you if any visitors click on the ads on the parked page.

•••
ops I made a big mistake, olympics game will be in the 2008...
well I have muc time ahead to find a solution....

Pexus, is not you that is vague, or at least it is not only you it is the make money with parking program that is vague itself...very vague.

•••
I dont think the IOC will go after this name (well, in theory).
Most PPC places auto filter out anything containg heavy TMd names.
HOWEVER, Zeus was an Olympic God, as were many others, but throw in a site about Zeus (the OlympiAN God, but can be referred to as Olympic) and I seriously doubt they will bother with it.

•••
Patience is the key. Take some time to think it over.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back