Dynadot

advice Old owner forgets about listing and domain sells, what to do?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
So this is an interesting topic. Lets say you buy a domain, and the old owner forgot about a listing on GoDaddy and you have the domain at another registrar, and then suddenly after a couple months of having the domain you get a message that the domain sold.

What would you do, and what is the right thing to do? Are you obligated at that point to follow through and allow the domain to be transferred to GoDaddy? Or should you contact GoDaddy and give them proof of ownership so they can make things right with the buyer?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi

IF.... , you own the domain, then it's up to you to either proceed with the sale.... if it's an acceptable amount -
or contact GD and refuse the sale, because it was old listing that wasn't removed by previous owner.

imo...

•••
I always ask previous owners to remove listing. Most of them do. Otherwise a couple of reminders.

I agree with Biggie.

•••
Why would you go through with the transfer and transaction?

The old owner would get the money and you'd be out a domain - remember the GoDaddy listing is still linked to his account so he'll get the payment. You need to contact GoDaddy and find out how much it fake-sold for, and maybe work out a deal if you like the price.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah you can contact GD if You want to sell it domain is Yours.

•••
First why Godaddy send you mail? To my knowledge, it send automatic SOLD mail to the person who listed the domain. If Godaddy found out, now it owned by someone else other than the person originally listed, Godaddy broker generally contact you and explain the situation and tell you the offer amount and ask you whether you want to proceed with sale or not.

In such you can accept the deal or counter the deal with your expected price.

•••
First why Godaddy send you mail? To my knowledge, it send automatic SOLD mail to the person who listed the domain. If Godaddy found out, now it owned by someone else other than the person originally listed, Godaddy broker generally contact you and explain the situation and tell you the offer amount and ask you whether you want to proceed with sale or not.

In such you can accept the deal or counter the deal with your expected price.

The person who had it listed informed me about it when it sold the other day. Not trying to blame anyone, just trying to make sure that I make a fair decision.

•••
The person who had it listed informed me about it when it sold the other day. Not trying to blame anyone, just trying to make sure that I make a fair decision.

I am not sure of the problem here - if the amount is okay, then contact GoDaddy directly and if the price is valid, then set up a sale through one of their brokers. If not, then move along.

Done.

But by no means use the previous owner as a go-between, unless it's a very good friend or relative, as you can never know what the real deal is. Only deal directly with a GoDaddy broker.

Last edited:
•••
I am not sure of the problem here - if the amount is okay, then contact GoDaddy directly and if the price is valid, then set up a sale through one of their brokers. If not, then move along.

Done.

But by no means use the previous owner as a go-between, unless it's a very good friend or relative, as you can never know what the real deal is. Only deal directly with a GoDaddy broker.

Yeah, the amount is ok, and I do agree that I should deal directly with GoDaddy. I also know that GoDaddy has an obligation to follow through, and I am not against selling the domain directly through GoDaddy. I added the GoDaddy rep to the conversation so he can take a look and take care of it.

•••
That's GD failure assuming the old owner listed his domains using GD network...it shouldn't happen to start with, but if it did then you have all the options open for you: you can accept the deal and deal with the brokers it's their job to seal the deal.
-Or-
you can refuse under the umbrella it wasn't me who listed the domain. eitherway ou are in a good position because (a) it's not your fault (b) your domain has demand.

Good luck

Last edited:
•••
I actually had this happen to me. The domain sold almost immediately after I bought it. I was happy with the sale price, so I agreed to the sale. GoDaddy substituted me for the seller and the transaction went through without a problem.

•••
Yes because a sale is a sale, you are just a number a.k.a customer #.

•••
I actually had this happen to me. The domain sold almost immediately after I bought it. I was happy with the sale price, so I agreed to the sale. GoDaddy substituted me for the seller and the transaction went through without a problem.

Good to know I'm not the only one this has happened to, and glad to know it is possible for GoDaddy to substitute the seller.

•••

Last edited:
•••
Nothing at all except build a lander.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back