NameSilo

discuss "of the month club"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

LaptopLifestyle

Established Member
Impact
Hey guys, i'm brand new to this forum. I've been "domaining" for.. maybe 2 months now, am by no means a pro at the moment, but, i can tell you, i've crammed my brain so full of info the last few months it's not even funny. Basically, i'm broke and hungry, and want to make something out of this, and various other internet based ventures. So... i've been looking for a good community to hopefully get info from, share experiences with and gain knowledge and insight from etc.

long story short though, I know that "of the month club" stuff got to be HUGE a while back, but the fad seems to be fading. I know that more and more people are signing up for "of the month clubs" though, just, maybe not starting the businesses as much.

not that explanation is needed but... things like underware of the month, lingerie of the month, bacon of the month, etc etc. it seemed like everyone was talking about them and starting them 6 months to a year ago, and the fad has kind of waned a little? however, i know more and more customers are signing up for these things as services. Heck, my dad actually gets 4 different ones. a fruit of the month for 3 different people, lingerie of the month for his wife, socks of the month for my sister and japanese candy of the month for my niece. and he's just one of several people i know who participate in them. But... when it comes to ME selling the domains to people wanting to start one??????

In your opinions, has the domain trend passed on these? You can't find any .coms for this stuff, and the ones for sale, are thousands of dollars usually, but haven't sold, and it seems like as for the clubs themselves, like anything, there are a few big name sites that dominate the web market and get the majority of sales, while little guys evaporate into dust. the nature of "the big 3" at play. which means, that it has been around long enough to have this happen.

with that said... *.club domains were on sale for .99 the other day, and i took it upon myself to buy up about 50 of them... things like
420ofthemonth.club
bbqsauceofthemonth.club
cheesecakeofthemonth.club and so on.

i was REALLY surprised that none of them were taken, and there are probably a thousand other ones still available. one problem with them is that you can't put them on godaddy auction, however, other sites allow them to be sold. by the way, estibot valued a lot of them anywhere from 0 to $67,000. but. we all know about estibot. use it as a tool not as a guarantee.

anyway... I've listed all of them from between $299 and $2950 depending upon the subject matter.

I'd ask if this was a waste of money or not, but, i'm also parking them on SEDO and driving traffic to them. So in theory, i just got a whole bunch of cheap placeholders for paid ads.

and... before you guys get into THAT (sedo)... i'll be posting another thread asking advice on SEDO alternatives. I've read my share of disheartening articles about SEDO from a few years back, and i doubt if anything has changed. the entire site looks like a a chimpanzee threw about 30 existing sites together and skinned them. you have to log in TWICE? i mean, come on... then, even though i show 462 uniques on my end, they show FIVE? whatever... different thread...

But i guess my point is, did i miss the train on that one? I just feel like for the price, they were way too good to pass up. If i sell even 1, i've WAY more than made my money back.

just looking for some chit chat about this. Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i was REALLY surprised that none of them were taken, and there are probably a thousand other ones still available.
That shouldn't surprise you, and like you say thousands of similar domains are free to register for a reason. What makes you thing these names are going to sell ? There are millions of better names still waiting for a buyer.
You should do more research, about what types of domains do sell.

I'd ask if this was a waste of money or not,
Guess :|
i'm also parking them on SEDO and driving traffic to them. So in theory, i just got a whole bunch of cheap placeholders for paid ads.
Wait, you mean click fraud ?

•••
I don't consider it click fraud. It's all through white hat means and lots of hard work, not purchasing crap from fiverr. I've read a lot of things about people driving traffic to their landing pages. there are no robots, no autoclicks, none of that stuff. tons of social media, tons of websites, etc. no deceptive practices. not trying to get banned....

•••
Oh............. i get it now...... crap. Im probably about to get banned from sedo...

Oh well..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back