Domain Empire

domain NYCLAWYERS.com -- worth six figures?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Larry2

Impact
It is obviously a great domain. Been sitting largely idle since 1994.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Comps are comps.

That is, by far, one of the stupidest things I have ever heard. Then please, do let me buy your house for the same amount it would have been worth 50 years ago. Or perhaps you would like to purchase some chips domains for what they were worth a year or two ago?

•••
I sold a name for six figures in 2007. I have also sold three or four names for five figures. I bought my first domain in 2005. I would rather have $300 cash than NYCLawyers.com. I would probably take the name instead of $150. So, my true appraisal is somewhere between $150 and $300. That is a TRUE appraisal, not some nonsense that is found in most appraisal threads.

•••
Derivative comps mean zero. This isn't Manhattan real estate.

•••
At least I can make conclusions based on facts with comps.

Not so fast. First, not all 'sales' are 'factual'...some are fakes. Second, you also need to know the backstory...a domain can sell for more than it's basic worth because of what it was previously used for, because of traffic, because of backlinks, etc. Third, a domain can sell for more than what it is worth because for whatever reason, it might be a 'must have' to one particular individual. Etc. etc. etc. You can't just go throwing out numbers like you are doing.

•••
It seems there is a lot of debate going on. And I believe that a competent person would regard this thread as a reflection of the domain's value.

NYCLawyers.com has an assured value between xxx to low xxxx, but anything beyond that is speculation as can be seen with people arguing on both sides.

If the domain was truly assured at 5 or 6 figs, then there would be no long-winded debate and everyone would just agree and walk away with nods. But instead this healthy disagreements shows that its value becomes uncertain past a certain range, and that range is xxx.

•••
If this is the OP's name, and he didn't receive offers while it was idle, then that means it isn't worth much. Any name that would provide value would have received multiple nice offers, including recent offers. This is not the type of name that, if it had real value, would slip through the cracks. I see that a site is up now, and that is the appropriate use for it. But the name doesn't add a lot of value to whatever you are doing, even if it fits.

•••
...GAKP NYC LAWYERS--->Volume: 260/mo | CPC: $14.31
Assuming a 0.35$ click through rate for being 1st in organic searches on google and a payback period of 12 months.

NYCLawyers.com = 260x14.31x0.35x12
=$15626.52 (+/-30%)
Which is in line with not just my valuation, but that of others. Personally I'd ask for more but this solidifies the consensus valuation of the name.
$15626.52. Wow! Cool :xf.grin:

Which begs the question to the OP: how's this math compared to his earnings from this domain these past umpteen years? And why in the heck is he even contemplating selling this golden goose if he's making this kind of money each year ??? :xf.eek::xf.eek::xf.eek:
And if he's not making anything close to this figure, what's wrong with him? :xf.wink:

•••
I sold a name for six figures in 2007. I have also sold three or four names for five figures. I bought my first domain in 2005. I would rather have $300 cash than NYCLawyers.com. I would probably take the name instead of $150. So, my true appraisal is somewhere between $150 and $300. That is a TRUE appraisal, not some nonsense that is found in most appraisal threads.

There is no such thing as a "TRUE" appraisal. Doesn't exist and it never will... a true appraisal means that there is not a single lawyer in NYC that will pay more than $300 for this domain... for that to be true it would mean you have personally made contact with each and every lawyer in NYC and none of them wanted to pay more than $300 for the domain.

•••
In other threads, users most definitely have belittled others looking for an appraisal. Second, you seem to not know when you lost. You cite the most ridiculous of things. Third, the OP sounds a bit fake to me...he spent $5k on a basic wordpress site that doesn't even work properly, is apparently getting offers of $50k plus, but hasn't taken any of them and hasn't gotten any lowball offers at all. Something sounds fishy with this entire thread.

Ridiculous? I guess people the people that have liked my posts must be ridiculous also? Look I get your trying to act tough and all, but its not working. What I have shown is the most basic way of valuing a domain, it gets a lot more complicated depending on who you talk to because there are some geniuses out there that have far more complicated and meticulous approaches to domain valuation. What I cite are real tangible numbers that you can take to the bank when someone is looking to buy your name. When someone asks you where did you get that valuation on an emd, what are you going to say? Are you going to spew rhetoric and start talking like you know what people want? Or are you going to get serious and actually bring something of value to the negotiation table? If your asking for 5 figures you have to have tangible information and numbers approving your valuation not just the first 500 words that come into your mind, this is a business after all.

If the OP only contacted marketing agencies that met his criteria then of course there would be a divergence in the value of offers he receives in comparison to if he just went full out and tried to market it to everyone. As to him not accepting the 55k offer, that's up to him if he has a magic number he wants to stick to, let him be that's his business not ours, all we can wish him is good luck and hope he gets something good out of it. We are here to help him aren't we? Or did you think otherwise?

Last edited:
•••
These appraisal threads are always interesting - fascinating to hear the different methods and see how strongly people can feel about them.

At this point any potential buyer can find these appraisals in Google. I'm not sure how many people really understand yet that exact match domains are not what they used to be. Anyway, the ultimate evaluation is what someone actually pays.

If the site really cost 5k then the job is, well, unfinished. It does not use https and when tested from NYC took 3.4s to load.

Last edited:
•••
Another angle: look at similar domains - are they in use? Seriously developed?

http://www.nyc-lawyers.com/ developed site, vintage 1996-2008, real law firm.
nyc-lawyer.com parked page, for sale €899 at Sedo
https://www.nyclawyer.com/ developed basic page for real lawyers

By the way, the link to the developer on the nyclawyers site does not resolve - looks like repurpose.ly dropped and is now on park.io

Somehow at times that looks like nyClawyer - someone who claws money out of you.

Last edited:
•••
The original owner of the domain was 78 years old. He bought it in '94 and never did a thing with it. Not even a 'for sale' landing page. It was just 404k page not found for 20+ years.
It's being sold as part of his estate that is being split amongst the kids.

Helpful hint: check archive.org

http://web.archive.org/web/19970711223812/http://www.nyclawyers.com/

Live site for Steinberg and Ross lawyers 1997, more usage after that

Then this end 2011 - http://web.archive.org/web/20111203025329/http://nyclawyers.com/home.html

Hantman & Associates, a New York based law firm with affiliated offices in Florida1 and New Jersey, is a dynamic and aggressive law firm that is devoted to providing our clients the best personalized legal services at competitive rates.

•••
If there was a reasonable chance that someone out there in the world would buy it for more than 5K, then someone would snap it up and wait to get lucky and sell it.

To be fair, it is an appraisal thread not a sales one, and people often give two values, one for reseller ie selling to a domainer, and one for selling to an end-user. But some people put a high value on their opinions or their domains and object strongly to the valuations you get. If you ask for an appraisal, well, you asked for it and Mr Google never forgets.

•••
These are also in use,

http://nycattorneys.com/
http://www.nyccounsel.com/
http://nyclawfirm.com

http://www.nyc-divorces.com/
http://nyc-divorcelawyer.com/

http://www.nycprobate.com/
http://www.nyc-probatelawyer.com/

http://www.nyc-bankruptcylawyer.com/

I don't know about the value.

Most of these are likely reseller prices:
santabarbaralawyers.com 120 USD 2016-12-12 NameJet
lalawyers.com 2,000 USD 2015-08-20 NameJet (abbreviation like nyc)
sandiegolawyers.com 1,556 USD 2015-05-17 GoDaddy
spokanelawyers.com 449 USD 2013-10-16 GoDaddy
charlestonlawyers.com 371 USD 2013-10-15 GoDaddy

(tried to check the backlinks, didn't look like these prices would be affected much by that, except maybe for sandiegolawyers)

These prices actually line up nicely with the city populations (from google, as of 2013)
santa barbara - 90k -- 120 USD
charleston - 127k -- 371 USD
spokane - 210k -- 449 USD
san diego - 1.3 million -- 1,556 USD
los angeles - 3.8 million -- 2,000 USD

End user sales (confirmed..I think)
montreallawyers.com 1,300 USD 2013-02-25 Afternic (archive.org shows development starting in 2013, still owned by them)
nyclawyers.com 2,250 USD 2009-06-30 Afternic (archive.org shows an 'enter site' link around that time. used by a law firm)

montreal - 1.65 million
nyc - 8.5 million

Hmm Do resellers overvalue domains a little? :P

Reseller price: 2k to 3k?
End user: 4k to 10k on a really good day?
:xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
That's true for the end user sales.
But if you do have the data for those city+lawyers.coms, and you know some people out there would definitely bid on nyclawyers.com, can't you try and estimate the reseller value based on what 'less desirable' names have sold for? or similar ones like LALawyers.com. (not saying the reseller value is reasonable.)
Estimating end user value is harder.

By the way, just found these:
newyorkcitylawyers.com 1,720 USD 2011-08-19 NameJet
newyorkcitylawyers.net 504 USD 2009-02-10 GoDaddy

But they're pretty old sales

Last edited:
•••
That's true for end user sales.
But if you do have the data for those city+lawyers.coms, and you know some people out there would definitely bid on nyclawyers.com, can't you try and estimate the reseller value based on what 'less desirable' names have sold for? or similar ones like LALawyers.com.
Estimating end user value is harder.

By the way, just found these:
newyorkcitylawyers.com 1,720 USD 2011-08-19 NameJet
newyorkcitylawyers.net 504 USD 2009-02-10 GoDaddy

But they're pretty old sales

Reseller value, low xxxx to lower middle xxxx----->1.5-3.5k

•••
Some past "Lawyer" sales if anyone is interested, my apologies if they have already been posted

CriminalLawyers.com 195,000 USD
TrademarkLawyers.com 24,000 USD
LawyerSearch.com 22,261 USD
PersonalInjuryLawyers.co.uk 17,380 USD
MassachusettsLawyers.com 16,222 USD
CaliforniaduiLawyers.com 15,601 USD
TrafficTicketLawyers.com 15,250 USD
IllinoisLawyers.com 15,101 USD
LawyersUSA.com 12,500 USD
DomainLawyers.com 10,006 USD

Not getting involved in this one :xf.wink:

Some additional 'lawyer' sales:

queenslawyer.com 454 USD
deedlawyer.com 206 USD
topinjurylawyer.com 155 USD
justicelawyer.com 155 USD
cowboylawyer.com 108 USD
highstreetlawyer.com 300 USD

•••
Your posts would actually be comical if you weren't actually serious. You sit here and lecture me that I'm 'wrong' and my opinion is worthless, you are the one that first replied to me, even though my original post had nothing to do with you...yet you then get mad when I call you out. Who are you to decide that your opinions are correct and valuable and mine are not? And what risk appetite? There is NO risk here at all according to you...this domain is gold...or at least that's what you say since you aren't willing to back up your statements. Your expertise? So are you saying, after this lengthy argument, that this isn't your area of expertise? Your budget? Anyone that could turn around and make $25,000 in less than a month would be able to find the money...even if you had to take a loan for it. To let $25,000 disappear would be pretty dumb of you, wouldn't it? I love how you talk talk talk, but when you have the chance to back up your talk with action, you refuse to do so.

My god, simply ridiculous. I never said your appraisal was worthless. I said it was wrong and that it did not look at comps.

You on the other hand:
1.Called me dumb--->Someone reported it. It has since been removed.
2.Made fun of other users appraisals--->"missing a few decimals"
3.Questioned the OP's investment strategy.
4.Questioned the validity of the OP's offers.
5.Questioned OP in general.
6.Called me a small man.
7.Say I can't put my money where my mouth is when you are the one telling me what to offer and how much.

That's pretty abusive behavior. All because I told you your appraisal was wrong?
Now your stuck on the fact that I won't offer the OP $25k for the name, saying that I love to talk talk talk and not take action. I took action. I just brought your ego down several notches. Have fun appraising peoples names :) I'm sure they'll trust your opinion.

•••
First, who are you to call my opinion wrong? Are you the supreme one that decides who's opinion is right and who's is wrong?
Second, you aren't exactly scholarly yourself:
1. You went out of your way to reply to my first post...which was not directed at you, was not meant for you and frankly, was none of your business.
2. To another user on this thread, you posted 7 upside laughing smileys...essentially making fun of their post.
3. You claimed I'm talking out of my A$$ in one post.
4. You put down another user because you didn't agree with him by saying his opinion has no value because he is a new member.
5. When you ran out of things to say, you professionally just kept repeating 'thanks for ruining the thread'.

Is what you did not abusive behavior?

1.Hmm did I say your opinion has no value? No.
2. Did I say you were talking out of your A$$? Yes. Why? You brought no substance to your appraisal. No comps, no knowledge of the geo+lawyer.com niche, just a whole bunch of arrogance. So I had reason to believe that you were talking bs.

3. Did I put you down? I explained the reasons why this name was worth the valuation I gave it and argued every single point you made to the point where you became hostile. I didn't put you down, you put down yourself.

4. I told that member, I didn't trust his opinion because he's been here for less than two weeks. He boasted about sales in 2007 etc, he could have very well made those sales but this is a big forum, I don't trust anyone that's new here not just out of instinct but also because there is not enough of a sample size to judge their character. For you on the other hand all I have to do is look at your posts since the time you joined and I'll be able to judge your character. I implore everyone reading this thread to do so, this kind of appraisal and reaction from you is similar to other posts you have made.

5. I said thanks for ruining the thread because of one reason and one reason only......you ruined the thread.

•••
My god, simply ridiculous. I never said your appraisal was worthless. I said it was wrong and that it did not look at comps.

You on the other hand:
1.Called me dumb--->Someone reported it. It has since been removed.
2.Made fun of other users appraisals--->"missing a few decimals"
3.Questioned the OP's investment strategy.
4.Questioned the validity of the OP's offers.
5.Questioned OP in general.
6.Called me a small man.
7.Say I can't put my money where my mouth is when you are the one telling me what to offer and how much.

That's pretty abusive behavior. All because I told you your appraisal was wrong?
Now your stuck on the fact that I won't offer the OP $25k for the name, saying that I love to talk talk talk and not take action. I took action. I just brought your ego down several notches. Have fun appraising peoples names :) I'm sure they'll trust your opinion.
Whatever you do guys, please don't stop. Having gone a few rounds with @todaygold myself in another thread before :banghead: I'm enjoying this tremendously :xf.grin::xf.grin::xf.grin:
I think @todaygold met his sparring partner here (y)

Last edited:
•••
•••
I would appraise the name three ways:

What I know is this:
nyclaw.com 2,597 USD 2016-04-05 Flippa
nyclawyers.com 2,250 USD 2009-06-30 Afternic

Reseller Value:
If you put the name up for auction here on NP with $1 start it might go to $100 to $250.

End User Value:
If you got on the phone yourself and sent out emails you could get be $1500 - $3,000 most likely.

Super Broker Value:
Top brokers would do their magic and might fetch $20,000 - $25,000. Might take 5 - 10 years though. :)
Great appraisal and sumup (y)

•••
NYCLAWYERS.com -- worth six figures?
Nope. You're way off, like, by a factor of a hundred. IMO, $xxx - low $x,xxx.

Like I'd said here before, in domaining, dreaming is an occupational hazard. Been there, done that :xf.wink:

•••
Six figures in 2007 - five figures today.

•••
NYCLAWYERS.com -- worth six figures?

Not to an end user lawyer, notoriously cheap, they may bill you hundreds per hour but they will not spend it on a domain...

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back