IT.COM

domain NYCLAWYERS.com -- worth six figures?

NameSilo
Watch

Larry2

Impact
It is obviously a great domain. Been sitting largely idle since 1994.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe the OP meant 6 figures including the decimals? But I think domains-wanted is closest, probably in the $xxx to low $x,xxx range at best.
You need to check comps before you make any kind of pre purchase appraisals. Low 5 to mid 5 figures is where I see this selling. Low xxx to x,xxx isn't even close to an accurate appraisal considering derivative nyc lawyer names have sold for low to mid xxxx already. This name is the optimal choice for a law firm looking to use an nyc+law related term designating their specialization, as it encompasses every single law niche. I don't really understand where you get your appraisal valuations from, not only does your statement downplay the value of the name it also condescends the valuations of other appraisers. There are no decimals missing. We look at what the market expresses in sales and try to help other domainers make sound decisions, not put people down. I don't think you understand how to value domains.

Domain Price Date Venue
nycrentals.com 25,350 USD 2010-06-23 Moniker
nycapartmentsrent.com 12,401 USD 2015-03-07 Flippa
nyc.info 9,100 USD 2012-02-20 NameJet
nyccondos.com 7,000 USD 2016-05-15 GoDaddy
nycn.com 5,750 USD 2015-03-03 Sedo
nychotelnetwork.com 5,000 USD 2011-01-06 Sedo
nyccriminallawyers.com 4,995 USD 2013-12-08 Afternic
nyc.co.com 4,245 USD 2014-11-27 NameJet
nyconstructionlawyer.com 3,888 USD 2013-04-01 Afternic
nycarchitects.com 3,850 USD 2011-07-13 Afternic

•••
this whole thread is the best proof of why domainers' appraisals are as useful and valuable as estibot's and such...
entertaining fact to consider if you still ask for appraisals..

•••
The best offer I have had is for $55,000.

From this board, that sounds like a great offer, but I have received 100+ offers, and the lowest was $8,500, FWIW.

•••
Um I think we need a new section of the site for appraisals of domainers, not domains.

•••
Some past "Lawyer" sales if anyone is interested, my apologies if they have already been posted

CriminalLawyers.com 195,000 USD
TrademarkLawyers.com 24,000 USD
LawyerSearch.com 22,261 USD
PersonalInjuryLawyers.co.uk 17,380 USD
MassachusettsLawyers.com 16,222 USD
CaliforniaduiLawyers.com 15,601 USD
TrafficTicketLawyers.com 15,250 USD
IllinoisLawyers.com 15,101 USD
LawyersUSA.com 12,500 USD
DomainLawyers.com 10,006 USD

Not getting involved in this one :xf.wink:

•••
You need to check comps before you make any kind of pre purchase appraisals. Low 5 to mid 5 figures is where I see this selling. Low xxx to x,xxx isn't even close to an accurate appraisal considering derivative nyc lawyer names have sold for low to mid xxxx already. This name is the optimal choice for a law firm looking to use an nyc+law related term designating their specialization, as it encompasses every single law niche. I don't really understand where you get your appraisal valuations from, not only does your statement downplay the value of the name it also condescends the valuations of other appraisers. There are no decimals missing. We look at what the market expresses in sales and try to help other domainers make sound decisions, not put people down. I don't think you understand how to value domains.

First, my appraisal is inline with what the others said. I said it could get into the low $x,xxx range...which is similar to what other users wrote.
Second, you need to understand that not every single domain sale on namebio is accurate...you can't just take everything at face value.
Third, you are seriously comparing a lawyer domain to a rental or apartment domain? Those two aren't even close.
Fourth, the two you highlighted took place nearly 4 years ago...the market for location/geo type domains has changed a bit since then.

•••
An appraisal value is what someone will pay for it right now. Experienced domainers know what that means. And I am confident that not a single of the top 200 domainers in history would pay 10K for it. I am reasonably confident that not a single one of them would pay 5K. I am almost certain that if you listed it here, and put it in a Buy It Now thread that lasted six months, you would not get 2K for it. I don't see anyone paying 1K for it. So, unless you can find a live human being willing to pay 1K for it now, then the name is not worth 1K.

When someone jumps in this thread willing to send 1K by PayPal that will establish that as the lowest price it can be worth. The only reason I would appraise it at $150 to $300 is because I know that there is probably some uninformed domainer out there (or here) who might get suckered into buying it from me. But the more I think about it, I would take $100 instead of the name, if offered both. And I mean that. It takes time and effort to sell a name, and this name is cancerous in that regard. Make sure you add up all of the hours spent talking about it and searching for a buyer so you can deduct that from the final price. Time is money.

Last edited:
•••
The target buyer is a content marketing firm that will use the domain to sell ads to lawyers based in NYC. The marketing firm would invest in content to get the domain to page 1 of google for high-value keywords.

•••
If you have received multiple recent offers that are all over 8.5K then you already have your answers. There is not a person on the planet who will pay 55K for it now, and not many on the planet who will pay 8.5K. If you can conduct a transaction with anyone right now for more than a few K that would be surprising. I'm talking domain name value only.....not the contents of your site. Now, if your current site has traction and traffic, then you aren't asking for a domain name appraisal, you are asking for a business appraisal.

The name alone, if it had been idle for years, is not worth much at all. If you have a business with it, or traffic that comes with it, then that is another story. This was probably a waste of time so I am out. I sincerely wish you luck, and if you have a buyer anywhere near what you claim, for any reason, don't get greedy. Now, if someone truly offered 55K out of the blue, you should of course try to get a little more because that was not their best offer. But you run the risk, even though you should always counter a first offer.

The scenario that you mentioned is plausible, and I hope that you get the big money. Low odds scenarios happen all of the time (like the Patriots comeback against the Falcons). When long shots come in they are still long shots.

Last edited:
•••
Bringing up comps missed the point. This name is not worth that much at all. If it were listed here it would shock you how low the price would be. This name will get zero type in traffic (so would the singular). There are already tons of places to search for lawyers, and this name adds no value at all. It may seem like a good name, but if you offered this name, or $500 to 20 domainers who have sold names for six figures, almost all (probably all 20) would take the 500 in cash instead of this name. That is the test.

Any decent name can sell for at least 1K, but it will only sell for 1K a small percentage of the time (which means the value is lower). Sorry, but the name does not bring much extra value at all to whomever buys it. This is not a 5 or 6 figure name, and probably not a 4 figure name. If multiple people on this forum are ready and willing at this moment to pay at least 1K for it, then I will concede that it is worth that, but I doubt it would happen.

If you basing a domain value on what NP members would pay for it then you are way off base. Round here you can pick up a $xxx domain for $1 sometimes if you lucky even a $xxxx domain for like $10..does that mean the domain is worth $1 or $10? Nope, it's just that here on NP we are spoilt for choice... not a good idea to base a domain value on what it's worth on the NP marketplace.

If the op is patient and finds the right end user imo he could get 4-5 figures for this domain.

My advice to the OP, in future...never ask for an appraisal :) - All that will happen is that it will create a tennis match in your head... you will either be left with serious doubt about the domains value or you will be left with false hope that you sitting on a gold mine. You will never get an accurate indication of the domains value on these appraisal thread.

Your best bet would be to try the professional appraisal thread here on NP....

Last edited:
•••
As I had previously stated this equation is only one aspect of why I came to my overall valuation. The Rosener equation is an excellent to tool to help you understand how much money is being spent monthly on advertising for emd domains. It is a rough guideline at best to be used in combination with your own methods of valuation to come to a well rounded valuation that accounts for both tangible and intangible valuation metrics.

Many domainers still use the equation today in conjunction with their own methods, even domainers like Zandibot do so I'm not the only one who finds it useful.

On another note your true character is out there for everyone to see :)

Did anyone belittle others by saying their valuations were off by a few decimals?Did anyone call people dumb? Where you really trying to help the OP or just let out your jealousy?

Not only do you lack decorum in your words, you also don't know when you have lost and when to learn from your mistakes. Hopefully the OP revealing his highest offer and also his outbound strategy shuts you up for a bit. You act like you know a lot but still have lots to learn, not just in domaining, but also with how to treat others both online and offline.

In other threads, users most definitely have belittled others looking for an appraisal. Second, you seem to not know when you lost. You cite the most ridiculous of things. Third, the OP sounds a bit fake to me...he spent $5k on a basic wordpress site that doesn't even work properly, is apparently getting offers of $50k plus, but hasn't taken any of them and hasn't gotten any lowball offers at all. Something sounds fishy with this entire thread.

•••
I see @slader23 @deez007 and some other reasonable domainers here making reasonable points with good analysis to appraise the OP's domain but the rest are just bunch of dumb comments with no good points, trying to make the OP sell his domain for them in the backend at low XXX so they can anonymously flip it for XXXXX... :wacky:

•••
I'm going to ignore the posts before and just state without knowing anything else, here say or otherwise what I think the domain is worth.

I find myself agreeing overall with @todaygold in overall sentiments on the domain.

To me this is a name that I would bid up to $250 or so at godaddy auctions. However, I think it could do low 4 figures in an expiring auction on a good day and perhaps on a great day up to $3k if it was an established site in the past and domainers hoping to cash in on the type in traffic/backlinks etc.

If nothing major is/was ever up on the site I really wouldn't pay much for it, too many options, nyclawyer/s/attorney/attorneys,newyorklawyers etc. not to mention the .nyc extension.

I would be amazed if it was a liquid name receiving regular big offers and if I owned it would be happy to get 2/3 offers a year in the 4 figure range and would probably take the best of those as and when they came in. $3-5k to an end user is the max I think it would get on most given days.

Last edited:
•••
Joro001 decent post. The bottom line is if someone owned this name as a stand alone domain name (parked page, etc.), they would likely get zero offers per year. Certainly nobody on the planet is rolling out of bed looking to trade 3K in hard earned money in exchange for the domain name NYCLawyers.com. But if there are enough people without a clue out there, it is theoretically possible, I guess. Many posters here prove that many people are delusional and have bad ideas. If they ever get in a position to blow 3K on a domain name, they might just be capable of making a horrific decision to buy something like NYCLawyers.com. But it is still a pipe dream and all of the offers the OP states that he has gotten are almost certainly part of his attempted pump and dump scheme that is not fulling anyone at this point.

•••
You guys never list the similar names that never sold. There are thousands of them out there. You look for something similar that did sell, but you never mention the ones that are similar that never sold for even $100 in over a decade. I guess if people don't understand math, logic, probabilities, and reasoning, then they cannot comprehend much. You guys don't understand basic math and probability? It is scary.

•••
I would appraise the name three ways:

What I know is this:
nyclaw.com 2,597 USD 2016-04-05 Flippa
nyclawyers.com 2,250 USD 2009-06-30 Afternic

Reseller Value:
If you put the name up for auction here on NP with $1 start it might go to $100 to $250.

End User Value:
If you got on the phone yourself and sent out emails you could get be $1500 - $3,000 most likely.

Super Broker Value:
Top brokers would do their magic and might fetch $20,000 - $25,000. Might take 5 - 10 years though. :)

Last edited:
•••
If you gonna have an abbreviation on lawyer(s) .com that and LA are two prime geos.
We used to do minor development on geo lawyer(s) and dropped everyone, the reason GEO EMD's are now death the last few years at Google.

End user should pay low to mid 5x but 6 x is a reach

Most of our clients are lawyers and almost none buy abbreviations in the SEM we do for them.

So I can see a small percentage of New York City lawyers drooling over it, but I doubt it would reach 6 x.

Great name, good luck.

•••
Low 5-figures feels like the best-case scenario for this one

•••
Maybe the OP meant 6 figures including the decimals? But I think domains-wanted is closest, probably in the $xxx to low $x,xxx range at best.

•••
•••
In line? lol btw nyccrimimallawyers.com sold again for 2.5k last year. Only one other person said low xxx to x.xxx, so the most accurate valuation is indeed in the low xx,xxx to mid xx,xxx range considering the sales of names that are the derivatives of the OP's prepurchase name, NYCLawyers.com.

LOL LOL So you basically just said that the owner of nyccriminallawyers was forced to sell at a loss just 3 years later! You just proved my point! In less than 3 years, the domain lost so much value that the owner lost nearly half of what they paid for it.

•••
Bringing up comps missed the point. This name is not worth that much at all. If it were listed here it would shock you how low the price would be. This name will get zero type in traffic (so would the singular). There are already tons of places to search for lawyers, and this name adds no value at all. It may seem like a good name, but if you offered this name, or $500 to 20 domainers who have sold names for six figures, almost all (probably all 20) would take the 500 in cash instead of this name. That is the test.

Any decent name can sell for at least 1K, but it will only sell for 1K a small percentage of the time (which means the value is lower). Sorry, but the name does not bring much extra value at all to whomever buys it. This is not a 5 or 6 figure name, and probably not a 4 figure name. If multiple people on this forum are ready and willing at this moment to pay at least 1K for it, then I will concede that it is worth that, but I doubt it would happen.

Last edited:
•••
lack any real understanding of market trends.

It seems you are the one that lacks understanding of market trends...otherwise you would know that quoting sales for a location/geo domain from 4 years ago isn't accurate. Likewise, you would put two and two together and realize why it sold at a loss 3 years later.

•••
It seems you are the one that lacks understanding of market trends...otherwise you would know that quoting sales for a location/geo domain from 4 years ago isn't accurate. Likewise, you would put two and two together and realize why it sold at a loss 3 years later.
Comps are comps. There is no 2+2 you cannot make assumptions made on variables that cannot be quantified because you are not the person selling the name. If you haven't noticed this thread. Experienced domainers with knowledge far beyond mine have also appraised it in the xx,xxx range, I think you should take the hint and go learn instead of talking out of your A$$$.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back