Dynadot

NP Auctions needs a return

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Archangel

randypendleton.comTop Member
Impact
It's been quite some time: Don't you think NP auctions should return? The last was in like, April or so :p

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They'll return when they're ready ;) Don't forget, the auction code has to be updated too with the new vB version.

•••
They'll return when they're ready ;) Don't forget, the auction code has to be updated too with the new vB version.
Which takes 5 months? Should take you guys a week max.

•••

I think I asked about this around March. I was told that auctions would likely return around the next month. And it's edging closer to JULY right now. I've had large, full-scale sites built from the ground up in a few months. How hard is it to get this auction script working?

•••
I think I asked about this around March. I was told that auctions would likely return around the next month. And it's edging closer to JULY right now. I've had large, full-scale sites built from the ground up in a few months. How hard is it to get this auction script working?
It's not hard especially since they had it working with an earlier vB version. Therefore I DOUBT there are MAJOR changes needed to be made.

Heck, they could've hired and outsourced a coder for dirt cheap and gotten it done within 2 days!

•••
It's not hard especially since they had it working with an earlier vB version. Therefore I DOUBT there are MAJOR changes needed to be made.

Heck, they could've hired and outsourced a coder for dirt cheap and gotten it done within 2 days!

I have no real criticisms but the auctions were among the best part of NP. Go ahead -- call me a geek. But I could sit through an entire auction and enjoy it. I never even need to bid or have auctions there running (although I do both) and I still have a good time. Let's get that script up so we can enjoy the auctions again :p

•••
You think it's that easy eh?

We upgraded from vB 3.0.x to 3.8.3 -- FOUR YEARS of changes. And it's not been five months, the vB upgrade didn't start 'til May.

You have no idea what the code behind the old auction system looks like. I do. So I know how much work it's going to take to get everything in place.

Obviously you're not a programmer, and have no idea how much work something like this can take. You're one of those folks who think you can outsource something dirt cheap, get it quick, and think it's going to be high quality. :|

•••
There must've been some seriously unnecessary features in that auction script then, because I'm not an expert in PHP at all but I could code something like that in 3 days.

It didn't seem heavily integrated into vB, since it wasn't exactly automated.

•••
By any ways...
all i would like is to see the features running again as good as they did before...

I started domaining from that section and i would really love to see it up :)

•••
There must've been some seriously unnecessary features in that auction script then, because I'm not an expert in PHP at all but I could code something like that in 3 days.

It didn't seem heavily integrated into vB, since it wasn't exactly automated.
NP$, user database, PM system... the auction code as is COULD NOT run standalone from vB -- I'd say it's heavily integrated.

I like how you and others say it could be done sooner. But once again, you all have no idea what all is behind the auction code. You only see what's on the surface, and none of the backend/admin stuff.

I'm not going to rush on converting the code. Why? So that I can make sure everything works and is in place, and to make sure it functions like it should - IT TAKES TIME!

Oh well, my last post in here. That's the problem since the upgrade, people are too impatient.

•••
I understand your frustration, we are frustrated too at times, there are still areas that are not up and running as they were before but we are working as quickly as possible to get all of them in solid working order as quickly as possible.

We have been working with a couple of members here to get the Auctions up and running again, when they return... they will return with a BANG!! This is on the top 5 list of things to have completed ASAP. We want them back as much as you do! :)

•••
Keep up the good work Eric, forum is looking and running great!

•••
I understand your frustration, we are frustrated too at times, there are still areas that are not up and running as they were before but we are working as quickly as possible to get all of them in solid working order as quickly as possible.

We have been working with a couple of members here to get the Auctions up and running again, when they return... they will return with a BANG!! This is on the top 5 list of things to have completed ASAP. We want them back as much as you do! :)

BANG? sure... but by then most people will have given up on the bang and won't care.

NP$, user database, PM system... the auction code as is COULD NOT run standalone from vB -- I'd say it's heavily integrated.

I like how you and others say it could be done sooner. But once again, you all have no idea what all is behind the auction code. You only see what's on the surface, and none of the backend/admin stuff.

I'm not going to rush on converting the code. Why? So that I can make sure everything works and is in place, and to make sure it functions like it should - IT TAKES TIME!

Oh well, my last post in here. That's the problem since the upgrade, people are too impatient.

Impatient? Maybe some people are too slow? No offense, but this WHOLE upgrade has been hell for members. You guys could've at least copied the DB and created a TEST board DONE the upgrades there THEN done them here. That way we wouldn't have any issues on the members side of things.

So far to me as a member, it seems like a sloppy upgrade job or one that was un thought of at that time.

But you are management and it's your job not mines. I go for the ride or can jump off the ride.

You think it's that easy eh?

We upgraded from vB 3.0.x to 3.8.3 -- FOUR YEARS of changes. And it's not been five months, the vB upgrade didn't start 'til May.

You have no idea what the code behind the old auction system looks like. I do. So I know how much work it's going to take to get everything in place.

Obviously you're not a programmer, and have no idea how much work something like this can take. You're one of those folks who think you can outsource something dirt cheap, get it quick, and think it's going to be high quality. :|

I am a programmer.... That is why I made a comment. I wouldn't post if I didn't know what I was posting about.

I do have an idea, I get requests for vB modifications daily and most of the time can get major ones done within a WEEK.. WITH uni work and my own job.

I don't complain neither should you. It's sad to see when programmers complain. We are required to suck it up and do our job. If programmers want to be whiners they can go to girl scouts.

EDIT:

BTW, hate me or love me. I'm posting this, because some users are scared to say anything. Ban me if you want for saying what I did. But, I'm telling you like it is from a members perspective.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you for your input :)

•••

The only part of it that NEEDS to be integrated is when a user submits and has to pay NP$ for it. The rest of it could run by just taking a username variable from vB, which isn't exactly heavy integration. It's not like the script handles transactions between users, it should be as simple as adding and removing domains and bids into a database.

Hell, I'll make it.

•••
heh, said I wouldn't post again, but all of a sudden I'm compelled to :)

Epic, Freshfroot - whatever you want to think, that's fine. If you want to think you know how the auction system works and that it's so easy, fine. If you want to think that I'm slow, that's fine. With everything else that I'm dealing with, in RL, I don't care anymore :xf.love:

"Maybe some people are too slow?"
"seems like a sloppy upgrade job or one that was un thought of at that time"
"No offense"

:loveyou:

•••
Eric is overworked to say the least. I assure you that he is not being lazy or just taking his sweet time on this. He and RJ have been working non-stop to get things working. There was A LOT of planning that went into the upgrade and there was a test site that was being used to make sure that the scripts were working correctly. The problem is that once it was made public there was a lot of upset about the upgrade, so then we had to go back and recode it to make people "happy".

There is A LOT of custom coding that makes NP all that it is. The things that are still not online are things that were used less, hence that is why they were lower down on the priority list.

•••
Eric is overworked to say the least. I assure you that he is not being lazy or just taking his sweet time on this. He and RJ have been working non-stop to get things working. There was A LOT of planning that went into the upgrade and there was a test site that was being used to make sure that the scripts were working correctly. The problem is that once it was made public there was a lot of upset about the upgrade, so then we had to go back and recode it to make people "happy".

There is A LOT of custom coding that makes NP all that it is. The things that are still not online are things that were used less, hence that is why they were lower down on the priority list.

:xf.love: You and the *team* Have gone far beyond the call of duty to TRY and keep everyone happy changing things time and time again when members have shown dislike for different changes. I dont know of any other community around where the owners and staff think and respond so much to the requirements, needs and likes of its members then NPs :tu:

•••
Things will be done in good time. NamePros isn't anybody's full-time job.

•••
Epic, Freshfroot - whatever you want to think, that's fine. If you want to think you know how the auction system works and that it's so easy, fine. If you want to think that I'm slow, that's fine. With everything else that I'm dealing with, in RL, I don't care anymore :xf.love:

Hey, I didn't say you're slow or insult you in any way. No need to take everything so personally.

•••
Ok... I have news! We have an Auction coming up. We will be making the announcement within the next day or two as to the specific date and the type of Auction it will be. :tu: YAY!!

•••
Great news, Rachel :) Something I've been wondering though: My $np came back to me as every one else's had (following the $np/cash value switch). But my $np total hasn't been raising no matter how much I post or where.Any ideawhat the prob is? I think I shoulld have at least $np 150 more by now. I dunno how much it'll cost for this new auction but I wanna be sure to have all the $np that I need :)

Ok... I have news! We have an Auction coming up. We will be making the announcement within the next day or two as to the specific date and the type of Auction it will be. :tu: YAY!!

•••
Great news, Rachel :) Something I've been wondering though: My $np came back to me as every one else's had (following the $np/cash value switch). But my $np total hasn't been raising no matter how much I post or where.Any ideawhat the prob is? I think I shoulld have at least $np 150 more by now. I dunno how much it'll cost for this new auction but I wanna be sure to have all the $np that I need :)

I think you will find that nps to post was withdrawn with the up-date :)

•••
•••
Excellent. Look forward to the coming auction!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back