Dynadot

discuss Now the price increase for .com is starting to hit...going to be dropping lots of names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
It seems the price increases are kicking in across many registrars as the hours tick on. Just noticed they went from 8.49 at Epik to 9.99 in the last little while.

Perhaps others could post any price increases they have/are experiencing. The thieves that run .com will soon notice a decrease in registrations. In my case, I will let 25 to 30 percent of my names drop.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Tiffany diamonds aren't cheaper than Manhattan in any part of the world. One product. One price. If people can't afford a com they should try to earn more money. I can't afford a LP 780-4 but that's not Lamborghini's fault. It's mine. Renewals prices need to go up as fast as possible.

imo
Pass.

When .COM is available through someone other than Verisign you might have a point.

Until then, it is a de facto monopoly based on a no-bid contract.

Technology is driving the cost of running a registry down. For renewals to go up is completely unjustified and the result of a sweetheart deal between ICANN and Verisign.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Why not $500 a year, or $1000, or premium renewals based on domain quality?

Just a short while ago I interacted with a principal at a domain registrar. He said that in his personal (rather than professional) opinion the possibility of a tiered 'rate' could be introduced if the no bid contract situation remains in place.

•••
Just a short while ago I interacted with a principal at a domain registrar. He said that in his personal (rather than professional) opinion the possibility of a tiered 'rate' could be introduced if the no bid contract situation remains in place.
I don't think it can happen with .COM.

Large companies often own thousands of domains, and many premium ones. They are not going to be on board with that type of scheme.

It would be rejected at every level.

Verisign is lucky to have their no-bid contact. They don't want to play with fire.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Would be interesting to see if a 7% price hike would result in more than a 7% drop rate making the price hike counter productive.

•••
Just a matter of time before it's $100 per year. Then $5000 to register your domain.

Eventually every word will be bought and paid for. Only (500) Tokens to own the word "Health"

You go to the all-knowing viewing portal, enter the word "Health" and are sent directly to your trusted neighborhood health-care physician.

•••
Would be interesting to see if a 7% price hike would result in more than a 7% drop rate making the price hike counter productive.
Unlikely imo. So many dropped nonsense domains are registered again... by hugedomains (most notably) if nobody showed interest to place a backorder on dropcatch, and by others. Also, endusers are already paying retail renewal prices so they would not notice.

I don't think domain name renewals have gone UP enough. I hope com and co uk renewals go up to £50 each year a soon as feasible, and I'd be happy to pay it. There would be less domainers
Pandora's box. Next step: variable renewal pricing. Own lll .com ? Please pay 10K annual renewal. Or drop it. Own dkjfdkljf34kdf.com? Please pay just 50 pounds / dollars each year, or drop it. Etc. This would eliminate domaining and domainers, making the .com registry the only domainer around.

•••
Technology is driving the cost of running a registry down. For renewals to go up is completely unjustified and the result of a sweetheart deal between ICANN and Verisign.

Brad

In this case, it was Trump who removed the Obama "price controls" on .com domains, for Verisign.

"The new agreement repeals the domain name "price controls" under the Obama Administration said NTIA, which is the chief communications policy adviser to the White House. Also part of the agreement, said NTIA, is "a new commitment to content neutrality in the Domain Name System (DNS)....Verisign will operate the .com registry in a content neutral manner..."

https://www.ntia.doc.gov/press-rele...t-amendment-35-cooperative-agreement-verisign
https://www.engadget.com/2020-02-11-icann-verisign-com-price-changes.html

•••
Just a matter of time before it's $100 per year. Then $5000 to register your domain.

Eventually every word will be bought and paid for. Only (500) Tokens to own the word "Health"

You go to the all-knowing viewing portal, enter the word "Health" and are sent directly to your trusted neighborhood health-care physician.
Nobody wants to acknowledge that at some point virtually all .coms of value will be taken/ priced expensively at the drops. Registries inevitably get greedy when they see there are no checks and balances.

•••
Nobody wants to acknowledge that at some point virtually all .coms of value will be taken/ priced expensively at the drops. Registries inevitably get greedy when they see there are no checks and balances.
Why would registries/registrars want a system that is different from the one they currently have got? They can sell any domain that drops at auction and maximise revenues that way, any other way would probably lead to less money not more.

The domains sell at a fair price, whatever someone is willing to pay. It's a pretty good system.

Last edited:
•••
Why would registries/registrars want a system that is different from the one they currently have got? They can sell any domain that drops at auction and maximise revenues that way
Thank goodness, verisign _registry_ currently cannot sell dropping .coms on auctions. They tried to enter this market once, but were not successful (google for Wait Listing Service, WLS)

•••
Thank goodness, verisign _registry_ currently cannot sell dropping .coms on auctions. They tried to enter this market once, but were not successful (google for Wait Listing Service, WLS)
Yes for registries that would be different. I get the distinction now.

•••
I have an idea.
What if registrars make a deal with us domainers, example let us renew Com domains at 5$ for more years, when we sell those domains we are obliged to pay them some percentage from that sale no matter where it sold.
I would make such a deal with my current registrar.

Last edited:
•••
I have an idea.
What if registrars make a deal with us domainers, example let us renew Com domains at 5$ for more years, when we sell those domains we are obliged to pay them some percentage from that sale no matter where it sold.
They would probably end up losing money as most domains never sell.

Brad

•••
I have an idea.
Awful idea 😆

•••
They would probably end up losing money as most domains never sell.

Brad
But we lose more as no sales, I invested more than 30K no result, only registrars profit from sheeple like me.

•••
But we lose more as no sales, I invested more than 30K no result, only registrars profit from sheeple like me.
Well, unless you are paying retail registration prices, most registrars have very low margins on registration/renewal fees. Most of it actually goes to the registry itself.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I have an idea.
Domainers do (underground) deals with registrars already. For example. Ever wondered why some expired domains from not-so-well-known registrars (or resellers) end up in hands of a particular domainer (or domainers) without following "official" domain expiration/deletion/recovery cycle, published by the registrars (or resellers) in question? No, it is not about expired auctions (domains in question do not appear on expired auctions to begin with). Underground deals. Pure corruption. Similar to netsol-owned New Ventures Services, Corp (just google it), but outsourced. The difference is that some domainers enjoy being a part of corruption schemes.

The scheme you suggested looks perfectly legit though. But, since registrars do pay (prepay in fact) for renewals to registries, I do not think that any registrar will agree... But, if you a good customer, some may offer a credit line.

Last edited:
•••
whats "stopmommy's" prices going to be now? $50? yipes.

•••
I'm curious... How can they actually demonstrate a justified price increase...

It's only been like what? Half a lifetime since a domain registration was free?

They're smart, keeping it below $10. once they surpass that psychological barrier I see some issues for .com.

I foresee another boost for ccTLDS. maybe not within a couple of years but it's bound to happen at this pace.

•••
Easy solution to this is multiple-year registration. If your domain names are so valuable simply register for five or ten years and you don't need to moan about prices increases any more. Problem solved?
No.

•••
I don't think domain name renewals have gone UP enough. I hope com and co uk renewals go up to £50 each year a soon as feasible, and I'd be happy to pay it. There would be less domainers and more quality domain names overall. Domain squatting would be reduced by 90% after one year, giving the industry a better reputation. Startups would have more choice of com domain names. All domain name purchase prices would go up considerably meaning more considered acquisitions. The whole domaining industry would benefit. Now let's hear your logical counter-arguments?
No offense, but you post a lot of crap. I mean you do it a lot. You sound like you know what you are talking about. But most of your posts go against any normal domaining logic.

Are you the troll who has been attacking us for charging high prices for domains ?

Last edited:
•••
@InternetBS increased their domains from $13.55 to $14.91 AUD. For some reason I was convinced it was going to be $14.22

•••
It's 9.14 USD @ Sav.com

Last edited:
•••
I'm sticking with Dynadot. Paying $9.57, but I'm SuperBulk (customers who spend $5,000 or more a year)

•••
I use Cosmotown for my cheap registrations. They are holding off on increases for a month
Best pricing at time.

Afternic fast transfer support ???

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back