Dynadot

discuss Now the price increase for .com is starting to hit...going to be dropping lots of names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Mister Funsky

Top Member
Impact
It seems the price increases are kicking in across many registrars as the hours tick on. Just noticed they went from 8.49 at Epik to 9.99 in the last little while.

Perhaps others could post any price increases they have/are experiencing. The thieves that run .com will soon notice a decrease in registrations. In my case, I will let 25 to 30 percent of my names drop.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not really.

$20 isn't serious money, even in poor countries – not for a business that is operating internationally and therefore needs, or feels it needs, a .com domain.

For the rest, there are ccTLDs (and many people regard .com as a de facto American TLD, not an international one). And this may surprise you, but in some countries the ccTLD enjoys higher status than .com. In Germany, for example. .de is king: it accounts for 60% of registrations, .com only for 25%. Or listen to the commercial breaks on Dutch radio (on Internet radio, if you actually want to try it): you'd think the most common word in Dutch is "puntenel" (dot N L). It seems to end every third sentence.

Apologies for going OT a little.

You don't need to operate globally to want .com

You might a) aspire to become international/global one day b) not feel safe starting your business with your cctld due to possible corruption, censorship etc. c) use it as a prudent mitigation against potential traffic and email leaks.

Because .com is still affordable, people can register it even for their future aspirations, like their full name in case they run for a political post or become social media star. They can also buy it as an option for a future dev. They have the idea now, but not money or time. So they book the name and hope to get to it one day. And some do get to it.

Blocking all that to make one American corporation richer for no added value on their part is frankly completely nuts. But if we all cannot see that and act like lemmings, then, well, that is what we deserve.

Last edited:
•••
You're right. same goes for the UK and a lot of European countries. Dot com will always be second/third best in this regard.

I like the way how they don't pronounce the dot in Germany so they just say domain de.

And yet, for my own projects, if I enable catchall email, I do get lots of emails where people type in .com instead of co.uk, .de, .nl, .fr. Often, the employees themselves will do it when emailing something to themselves or signing up for something. Apparently, even as a second option, .com is very important, if it can mitigate against leaking even 5% of your type-in traffic or important emails.

•••
You don't need to operate globally to want .com

You might a) aspire to become international/global one day b) not feel safe starting your business with your cctld due to possible corruption, censorship etc. c) use it as a prudent mitigation against potential traffic and email leaks.

Because .com is still affordable, people can register it even for their future aspirations, like their full name in case they run for a political post or become social media star. They can also buy it as an option for a future dev. They have the idea now, but not money or time. So they book the name and hope to get to it one day. And some do get to it.

I don't disagree with any of that.

But: the people/businesses (outside the US) that you're describing now aren't those for whom an annual .com reg fee of $20 is a deal-breaker. Or if they are, they're not typical.

•••
I don't disagree with any of that.

But: the people/businesses (outside the US) that you're describing now aren't those for whom an annual .com reg fee of $20 is a deal-breaker. Or if they are, they're not typical.

Typical or not, they are important. Even small percent counts still into millions. You might not know it, but those poor countries have the whole huge industry of micro-credits where getting even few hundred bucks of loan is a big deal.

You guys are talking as if there is no price elasticity in that range for .com, investors excluded. That is simply not true. If .co (the closest in the perceived meaning, looks, feel etc. to .com) would price near .com, they'd have way more than their current 3.4 million names registered. At $10, they probably could have five- to tenfold of that number.

•••
Although it would be preferable if someone from Epik came in to clarify/explain pricing, I believe the $35 is the full retail public price.

If someone is an investor and reaches out to them, they will/would adjust pricing based on volume, etc.
Yeah, it would be great if they explained the almost 4x increase! @epik

I have a lot of domains with them (a lot to me). To pay $35 per renewal is CRAZY! Their xyz renewals are the least expensive last I checked (the ones without premium renewal rates). I have already started transferring domains out from them...
How do we get the namePros or volume discount? Just contact their support?

•••
How do we get the namePros or volume discount? Just contact their support?

Yes, I assume support [at] epik.com would be the place to send a request.

•••
•••
And yet, for my own projects, if I enable catchall email, I do get lots of emails where people type in .com instead of co.uk, .de, .nl, .fr. Often, the employees themselves will do it when emailing something to themselves or signing up for something. Apparently, even as a second option, .com is very important, if it can mitigate against leaking even 5% of your type-in traffic or important emails.

Agree. It happens. But it's worse the other way around, where email leaks from the .com to the ccTLD :)

It's always best, when possible, to acquire the .com and forward it to your ccTLD. When developing I try to get the pair although that is getting harder every day.

Like you mentioned upthread, you may want to take your project globally at a certain stage.

•••
If .co (the closest in the perceived meaning, looks, feel etc. to .com) would price near .com, they'd have way more than their current 3.4 million names registered. At $10, they probably could have five- to tenfold of that number.
Not sure that .co has anything close to that number of registrations at the moment. The .co ccTLD emerged in a market with very little competition and it was successfully marketed. Since then, the ccTLDs have really taken off and the new gTLDs launched.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Not sure that .co has anything close to that number of registrations at the moment. The .co ccTLD emerged in a market with very little competition and it was successfully marketed. Since then, the ccTLDs have really taken off and the new gTLDs launched.

Regards...jmcc

Given their almost perfect name as .com competition, the main factor contributing to this is their pricing. They could have priced just 1-2 under .com and gained a big market share. Instead, it is wholesaling around 2.5x of .com, plus they utilize $1-2 promos for 1 year, that helps only their spam score. On top of this, they introduced premium pricing for names that drop. Basically, they are doing the opposite of what needs to be done for maximizing their profits and market share.

•••
Agree. It happens. But it's worse the other way around, where email leaks from the .com to the ccTLD :)

It's always best, when possible, to acquire the .com and forward it to your ccTLD. When developing I try to get the pair although that is getting harder every day.

Like you mentioned upthread, you may want to take your project globally at a certain stage.

Right. Basically, the simplest generic advice if you don't know anything else about the business and its plans is:

- if you are in the US or similar .com centric country, acquire the exact match .com of your brand and start building your brand equity on it. As a bonus, get .us or the cctld and forward to .com

- If you are in a cctld centric country, acquire the exact match cctld and build the equity on it. If you can, acquire the .com and forward it to your cctld

- If your location is not your major market, then acquire and do the above on .com

- if your project is social or non-profit, then do the above on .org. Owning .com and cctld and forwarding being a bonus.

Basically, getting your .com, cctld and .org covers all the basis pretty much for any business.

•••
Given their almost perfect name as .com competition, the main factor contributing to this is their pricing. They could have priced just 1-2 under .com and gained a big market share. Instead, it is wholesaling around 2.5x of .com, plus they utilize $1-2 promos for 1 year, that helps only their spam score. On top of this, they introduced premium pricing for names that drop. Basically, they are doing the opposite of what needs to be done for maximizing their profits and market share.
They are basically sweating the assets with domain names that renew. Don't think that the .co has anything like 3.4 million registrations even with the promos.

Regards...jmcc

•••
6 days after my first post...

Still radio silence from Epik regarding pricing.

Dynadot still has rotating banner for 7.95 transfers that I confirmed was not available.

I've never used SAV, but later today I will spend time looking into them...any input would be appreciated from someone using them recently.

Last edited:
•••
I've never used SAV, but later today I will spend time looking into them...any input would be appreciated from someone using them recently.

I do use them but just for maybe a hundred domains.

It's a hit/miss experience. They're cheap but don't expect a spectacular experience.

I had some problematic issues with them in the past but overall, the cost/risk ratio could be worse.

•••
@Mister Funsky cosmotown has about the same pricing last time I checked.

Backend looks a bit dated but worth it to investigate. Quite satisfied myself.

Not sure what your window is to move names but Black Friday may provide some opportunities.

I expect NC and DD to be running a promo, maybe even before that.

Have been considering consolidating at namebright or Cloudflare (still at cost) myself.

•••
@Mister Funsky cosmotown has about the same pricing last time I checked.

Backend looks a bit dated but worth it to investigate. Quite satisfied myself.

Not sure what your window is to move names but Black Friday may provide some opportunities.

I expect NC and DD to be running a promo, maybe even before that.

Have been considering consolidating at namebright or Cloudflare (still at cost) myself.

That is an excellent idea...waiting for Black Friday deals will make for a better, less rushed, transition.

I've grown to like the Epik tools and would not consider moving for a dime or two but it would not be hard to save .50 per name and possibly as much as .90 without paying a ridiculous prefunding amount to another registrar.

It seems odd to me that the registrars are not eagerly seeking transfers. I know some people like to jump around but once I find a registrar I like, I tend to move all my names there. In my case, I like using the marketplace (if there is one) of whatever register has my names so although they might not make much on my regs, they have a decent income on sales.

•••
That is an excellent idea...waiting for Black Friday deals will make for a better, less rushed, transition.

I've grown to like the Epik tools and would not consider moving for a dime or two but it would not be hard to save .50 per name and possibly as much as .90 without paying a ridiculous prefunding amount to another registrar.

It seems odd to me that the registrars are not eagerly seeking transfers. I know some people like to jump around but once I find a registrar I like, I tend to move all my names there. In my case, I like using the marketplace (if there is one) of whatever register has my names so although they might not make much on my regs, they have a decent income on sales.

Same here. I usually take advantage of promos, move a block of names and transfer back to my preferred registrar in 2 months. It takes a bit of additional funds but the 2 year cost average is worth it if you expect a longer hold period.

Can imagine it's a lot of work at large scale. The majority of my portfolio is in ccTLDs which is less of a monetary concern for me, in terms of renewals.

Last edited:
•••
I like using the marketplace (if there is one) of whatever register has my names so although they might not make much on my regs, they have a decent income on sales.
I second that. But... Dynadot - paypal only withdrawals [or USD check like in the 20th century, cannot deposit outside U.S. at this time anyway]. Porkbun - paypal only withdrawals (and still no payment plans?). Namesilo - just works. Namecheap - overcomplicated. Epik - after the hack do not want to use it. Namesilo looks to be more or less optimal. Any other registrar-powered marketplaces, did I forget anything?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Still no response from Epik about pricing.

I am becoming more concerned that no response at all has occurred much less one that addresses bulk pricing. Still searching for a registrar with transfer deals.

•••
SAV BEST dot ICU pricing

I believe dot ICU is for real...

•••
This is in regards to Epik's new increases in renewal pricing (now $35 for .com, .net, .org) that was in effect for me. I emailed support @ epik and asked them for their namePros and/or bulk discount. Here is their response that I haven't replied to yet:

I hope this email finds you well.

I'm replying on behalf of my colleague *** as he is currently out of the office.

I would like to inform you that our management team has approved and assigned you to our special pricing group.
.COM and .NET domain renewals are down to $15.00 and $13.00 respectively.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

Should you run into any other issues, or have any further questions, please know you are more than welcome to reply to this email for assistance.
Best regards,
Customer Success Representative

* = I chose to not publish their names

Notice, .org was not mentioned, so it will still be $35 to renew. $15 for .com and $13 for .net are my new renewal rates... Not good enough @Epik.com , I'm sorry - but they should be. Well, I guess I'll be playing the transfer game until they wake up. Disheartening, since I thought Epik held domainers in high regard... If you've got $9.99 for renewal rates, consider yourself lucky or maybe you just have crap tons more domains than I do!

Happy Saturday everybody!

Last edited:
•••
This is in regards to Epik's new increases in renewal pricing (now $35 for .com, .net, .org) that was in effect for me. I emailed support @ epik and asked them for their namePros and/or bulk discount. Here is their response that I haven't replied to yet:

* = I chose to not publish their names

Notice, .org was not mentioned, so it will still be $35 to renew. $15 for .com and $13 for .net are my new renewal rates... Not good enough @Epik.com , I'm sorry - but they should be. Well, I guess I'll be playing the transfer game until they wake up. Disheartening, since I thought Epik held domainers in high regard... If you've got $9.99 for renewal rates, consider yourself lucky or maybe you just have crap tons more domains than I do!

$15 renew for .COM is supposed to be a "special price" ? Forget that.

I've pretty much stopped using anybody for .COM except Dynadot. $9.57 renewals for me.

•••
$15 renew for .COM is supposed to be a "special price" ? Forget that.

I've pretty much stopped using anybody for .COM except Dynadot. $9.57 renewals for me.
LOL! Yeah, what the heck is happening there?! Definitely transferring out of @epik . They're out of touch - Wish @Rob Monster could do something... Something's amiss! Coincidently he steps down and renewal prices jump to $35?! WTH?! LOL

Last edited:
•••

It seems like a lot of registrars use this price increase as an excuse to gouge customers.

Oh, the whoesale rate is up 7%, we better raise ours by 20%, 50%, 100%, 350%, etc.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back