IT.COM

discuss Notion started the trend of .so

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

kalr

Top Member
Impact
Notion started the trend of .SO domains..
Notion has built a stylish and modern website that reflects the tool that they are offering, an all-in-one workspace that helps teams to write, plan, and organize their workload.

Notion.com is now forwarding to Notion.so

Some interesting .so developed on site: .so google search

Circle.so - Tribe.so
Community platform
Page one of Google for 'Circle' & 'Tribe' keywords

Screen.so
Screen's multiplayer screen sharing.

Narrative.so
Narrative empowers photographers to spend more time doing what they love.

Fluently.so
Writing and translation tools in one place.

Rock.so
Ignite.so
ilo.so
vim.so
Mask.so
& more....

So, this thread for Discuss & Showcase .SO domains.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nikul sold rise.so

And there was a guy selling some nice .so domain on wholesale on wholesale.. he was selling fire.so and send.so for 275 and a few other good ones. I was hesitating and they were gone next day. But it was available for a whole day :)

Those were nice names to buy... But looks a bit like Bad. The adoption is not broad.. More like .vc
Not many names would sell to justify a portfolio built with $200-300 per names imo

Even at reg fee, 100 names would set me back by 6K and I would have to sell two names for 3k or 1 name fo 6 K just to break even.. I spent a day or so looking it up...

But I like the extension... End users are usually like Single syllable short extensions. AT least better than NGTLDs unless the two words are super complementary

Interesting to know if anybody else is invested.

•••
Ok, but what does .so stand for? I mean besides being the ccTLD of Somalia. I can't think of any "useful" meaning or abbreviation. Maybe Significant Other.

•••
Ok, but what does .so stand for? I mean besides being the ccTLD of Somalia. I can't think of any "useful" meaning or abbreviation. Maybe Significant Other.
Special Offer?

Still does not set the world on fire though......

•••
Not feeling this one, from any angle.

Infinity prefer .is as an "out of options" ccTLD.

•••
SO many available common dictionary words, but price is SO high.

•••
@kalr yes, it seems these companies started a new trend. My question is:

- Could ".so" be the new ".io" ?

I know ".io" stands for input-output and that has been marketed for years by tech companies, but one of the main points of using .io was namespace availability, which is not so common as of today for single-word domains.

For now, it seems there are only high-priced fees for this extension, but at least I don't see ".so" as restricted as ".fm", which also has at common high availability and high price for registering.

Namecheap has started to market this extension. Seems like ".so" may stand for social networks or software (not SO bad :xf.wink:)

".io" was very pricey at first as well and still is. Only with time and adoption became cheaper. This extension IMO can be a market opportunity for the startup business.

Last edited:
•••

.so ---> Software , Solar ..

I own..

Press.so
Linux.so
Energy.so
Tube.so
Cheap.so

Thanks.

Last edited:
•••

Did not make that connection myself.... "sw" is a well-known abbreviation for software, though.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Hahaha

even Recode.com re-directs to “Recode.net”

There is no “Trend” LOL. Always a couple of anomalies.

Last edited:
•••
I'm new here, forming a startup myself and considering a .so domain, this was one of the few places I found people talking about it.

Besides notion with funding there is:

circle.so ($5.5 million)
rock.so ($1.2 million funding)
narrative.so ($3.3 million)
revv.so ($1.2 million)
tribe.so (unknown VC)
ignite.so
shape.so
burnout.so
adere.so
letter.so
undefined.so

Those below tribe I don't know, they look early stage. Either way, what I like about .so is it does a good job of getting out of the way of the word in front. It's solid. Others like .is .to .ly .cc, .fm, .me, .xyz ... kind of kill the preceding word’s vibe. Not sure why I feel that way. But a lot of others do too. And .so doesn't have to stand for anything, it just has to be solid, which it is.

Anyway that’s from an aesthetic perspective. From an investment perspective I’m not sure. If you get another $100m startup from that list, maybe Circle.so (very possible), then the snowball might start rolling. Definitely more of a chance with .so than with .is, .to, .ly, etc. But for now I can’t see a startup opting for a costly name over something unregistered. Maybe in 5 years. Seems like a pretty speculative thing to be buying?

That said I doubt Notion will ever move to .com, even though they own it. They said they would, but they haven’t yet, I'm guessing they've rethought it. The same way, Zoom won’t move from .us. Their entire infrastructure is on .so. That's an insane engineering challenge, not to mention the link rot and pushback, etc. Plus notion.com sounds boomer, and they know that. Far better to be a .so trendsetter. Could be wrong of course.

•••
Also just learned that Blockstack PBC, which has close to $100m in funding, rebranded as Hiro and moved from their .com to a .so domain, now on hiro.so . That says a lot.

•••
Had a change of heart on this extension over the past 3 months.

Anybody noticing any uptrends with it?

•••
Diamond•so $1,888
hold time : 3 months.
Screenshot_20210912_205550_edit_178037893651988.jpg

•••
•••
•••
I'm new here, forming a startup myself and considering a .so domain, this was one of the few places I found people talking about it.

Besides notion with funding there is:

circle.so ($5.5 million)
rock.so ($1.2 million funding)
narrative.so ($3.3 million)
revv.so ($1.2 million)
tribe.so (unknown VC)
ignite.so
shape.so
burnout.so
adere.so
letter.so
undefined.so

Those below tribe I don't know, they look early stage. Either way, what I like about .so is it does a good job of getting out of the way of the word in front. It's solid. Others like .is .to .ly .cc, .fm, .me, .xyz ... kind of kill the preceding word’s vibe. Not sure why I feel that way. But a lot of others do too. And .so doesn't have to stand for anything, it just has to be solid, which it is.

Anyway that’s from an aesthetic perspective. From an investment perspective I’m not sure. If you get another $100m startup from that list, maybe Circle.so (very possible), then the snowball might start rolling. Definitely more of a chance with .so than with .is, .to, .ly, etc. But for now I can’t see a startup opting for a costly name over something unregistered. Maybe in 5 years. Seems like a pretty speculative thing to be buying?

That said I doubt Notion will ever move to .com, even though they own it. They said they would, but they haven’t yet, I'm guessing they've rethought it. The same way, Zoom won’t move from .us. Their entire infrastructure is on .so. That's an insane engineering challenge, not to mention the link rot and pushback, etc. Plus notion.com sounds boomer, and they know that. Far better to be a .so trendsetter. Could be wrong of course.

Interesting to me ..what is/are the strategy going to .so , especially from .com (as Hiro) ...you mention a few points within your narrative here... but what else is driving this quasi collective movement to .so ...

Last edited:
•••
•••
.so , SOMALIA domains 🤣

why bother ? ........ unless your Somalian

•••

I own..

Press.so
Linux.so
Energy.so
Tube.so