Domain Empire

Not Just Traitors, .CA now compares .Com Users To Sex Offenders

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
cira-623x350.jpg

The .CA Authority has “gone negative” in their promotion to encourage registration of .CA names for Canadian residents and businesses. While the first set of ads encouraged patriotism and logic (Showing stats Canadians prefer .ca); now its full-on guilt and shaming. Using a term from Political campaigning where a candidate attacks their rivals, this is called “going negative”.

https://dn.biz/blog/2019/12/16/not-just-traitors-ca-now-compares-com-users-to-sex-offenders/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I would prefer '.com.ca' or '.co.ca' instead of just .ca.

•••
I would prefer '.com.ca' or '.co.ca' instead of just .ca.

Seriously?

Why on Earth would you want to lengthen a domain?

•••
Seriously?

Why on Earth would you want to lengthen a domain?

Something about .ca alone gives the impression of it being a throwaway extension. -.com.au, -.co.uk, etc have become intuitive to me to such a degree that .ca on it's own almost comes across as lacking legitimacy.

Additionally, -.com.ca is (in my opinion) more aesthetically pleasing.

•••
Something about .ca alone gives the impression of it being a throwaway extension. -.com.au, -.co.uk, etc have become intuitive to me to such a degree that .ca on it's own almost comes across as lacking legitimacy.

Additionally, -.com.ca is (in my opinion) more aesthetically pleasing.

Where are you from @bourbon ?

I think you are probably influenced by the neck of the woods you are from because in the rest of the world we would never value one of those over a straight .com or ccTLD.

•••
Where are you from @bourbon ?

I think you are probably influenced by the neck of the woods you are from because in the rest of the world we would never value one of those over a straight .com or ccTLD.

The United States of America. Lots of diversity in thought here, thank G-d.

I wouldn't value -.com.ca over .com alone, but I would definitely value it and prefer it over -.ca.

•••

I wouldn't value -.com.ca over .com alone, but I would definitely value it and prefer it over -.ca.

Good to know people may think differently about this.

Usually when it's a ccTLD the shorter version is either solely used or preferred.

The reason for people being used to some 3rd level domains is because the second level options were either not an option or highly restricted in the past

.co.uk is definitely the go to tld in the UK though.

That being said, what I personally prefer doesn't matter much. Being a domainers all what matters is what end-users prefer.

•••
Good to know people may think differently about this.

Usually when it's a ccTLD the shorter version is either solely used or preferred.

The reason for people being used to some 3rd level domains is because the second level options were either not an option or highly restricted in the past

.co.uk is definitely the go to tld in the UK though.

That being said, what I personally prefer doesn't matter much. Being a domainers all what matters is what end-users prefer.

Very true. It'll be interesting to see the ways in which my personal perceptions shift as I continue to learn and gain experience.

•••
Some people on the internet seem to be on the edge at all times. They can't take a joke. They are always looking for negativity in everything.

Just chill. Enjoy life. Stop taking everything serious, including yourself. The world is a fun place to be.

•••

.Ca is extremely popular in Canada.

Most Canadian businesses have a .ca extension and use it over the .com counterpart. A lot of businesses will own the dot com as well if possible, but just redirect it to there .ca website.

An extension such as .com.ca would not make sense for this well-established cctld.

Plus, the more characters you type the less user-friendly it is.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back