Domain Empire

Not Just Traitors, .CA now compares .Com Users To Sex Offenders

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
cira-623x350.jpg

The .CA Authority has “gone negative” in their promotion to encourage registration of .CA names for Canadian residents and businesses. While the first set of ads encouraged patriotism and logic (Showing stats Canadians prefer .ca); now its full-on guilt and shaming. Using a term from Political campaigning where a candidate attacks their rivals, this is called “going negative”.

https://dn.biz/blog/2019/12/16/not-just-traitors-ca-now-compares-com-users-to-sex-offenders/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seriously???

I've seen a few news organizations pick this up and they are twisting the campaign to the ninth degree. It is a humorous campaign made to make us laugh.

I mean, have they watched the commercials at all? They are like a saturday night live skid.

Just goes to show how things can easily be twisted by the media.

I will look to see if I can post the commercial.

I would expect a registry to be more on the serious side on advertising. That being said, it's a good campaign, it gets the job done. It's fun.

The article you linked to is insane. Like it or hate it, that article shows the low state 'journalism' is in this day and age.

•••
Would anyone find it funny if Ford made an ad labeling anyone driving BMW or Toyota as traitors? Would it still be funny then if some idiots would be influenced by that and started smashing windows of imported cars?

For some it is a joke, but some has seen how it works in reality with those labels getting people sent to camps, killed, taken their property and careers away etc.

Last edited:
•••
Would anyone find it funny if Ford made an ad labeling anyone driving BMW or Toyota as traitors? Would it still be funny then if some idiots would be influenced by that and started smashing windows of imported cars?

For some it is a joke, but some has seen how it works in reality with those labels with people sent to camps, killed, taken their property and careers away etc.

I get what you're trying to say. There's a fine line where comedy becomes disrespectful. They didn't cross it. just my opinion.

Comparing it to people being sent to camps, etc is insane. Sorry, I can understand that people don't like the parody in this ad but given the context of it being advertising for a ccTLD... that comparison is taking it way too far and actually takes away from the seriousness of the matters you mentioned.

•••
I get what you're trying to say. There's a fine line where comedy becomes disrespectful. They didn't cross it. just my opinion.

Comparing it to people being sent to camps, etc is insane. Sorry, I can understand that people don't like the parody in this ad but given the context of it being advertising for a ccTLD... that comparison is taking it way too far and actually takes away from the seriousness of the matters you mentioned.

Tell me this, is a blackface joke acceptable? If it is integrated into a great joke?

When something has a history of getting people hurt or causing sufferings, it stops being an innocent joke.

I am sorry, but people barging into your bedroom, damaging your property and chasing you with a truck for being "a traitor" is not funny and is a reality in some countries even now.

•••
Tell me this, is a blackface joke acceptable? If it is integrated into a great joke?

Not a fan. There's no right answer possible to this question. It's such a fine line. I have a lot of coloured friends. They make these kind of jokes amongst their peers all the time. Is it ok if it's self-mockery? Is it ok to make jokes about caucasion people? Context is everything.

When something has a history of getting people hurt or causing sufferings, it stops being an innocent joke.

I am sorry, but people barging into your bedroom, damaging your property and chasing you with a truck for being "a traitor" is not funny and is a reality in some countries even now.

I get you. Let's agree to disagree on this one.

•••

Well, Trudeau is a massive, nation-wide joke that somehow got reelected, so yes.

•••
Absolutely brilliant. Almost as good as Mark Critch explaining Newfoundland accents (which are perfectly understandable). :) The numpties who think that it is their job to be perpetually offended must be going nuts over it. It is funny, has got people talking and is probably getting people to register .CA domain names. That's what advertising is meant to do.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Hey guys

it looks like the germans are the only one who got a sense humour ! ( u included ) here

the video has gotten attention
so it's a good ad

and it's all about free speech
don't forget

Last edited:
•••
Pouring Maple syrup on someone's laptop, hitting someone with a baseball bat or something. None of these are funny in anyway. That's violence and stupid. Everything about Canada is becoming a joke. Look for creative ways of promoting your .ca and goodluck with trying to compare it with .com.

•••
Pouring Maple syrup on someone's laptop, hitting someone with a baseball bat or something. None of these are funny in anyway. That's violence and stupid. Everything about Canada is becoming a joke. Look for creative ways of promoting your .ca and goodluck with trying to compare it with .com.

Yeah violence is promoted everywhere
evil world

it had been better in the old days
like in 1940

Last edited:
•••

in case you don't agree
and still don't get it

let him explain:

•••
•••
Wow, a kid's cartoon from the 40's used to support a corporate advertisement from 2019... I bet you guys still use leeches and snake oil for all your healthcare needs, right?

Listen, the ad is relatively harmless, but it is stupid and IMO takes the wrong angle with the entire marketing strategy. If you want to promote .CA with humor, there are better ways than inane stuff like a culturally/gender-diverse group of Keystone Cops running around damaging private property and chasing people with baseball bats.

I would have much preferred actual .CA information + edgy/hip humor - i.e. just hire Russell Peters (or a reasonably-priced facsimile) and set him loose.

•••
This is the first time I had even heard of the campaign. Looks funny! The creators have keyed in on something Canadians have loved to do for decades: laugh at themselves!

Those who say the ads promote violence and hate... I'm sorry, but I don't get it. I respect your opinion, but to me it feels like you're looking for reasons to be offended. I need to believe that society has not become so sensitive as to think that some loud Canadians in goofy Mountie costumes are actually going inspire people do destroy other peoples' property.

•••
I actually don't like the ads that much. I think that promoting the positive things of .ca would be great (high respect among Canadians, excellent lack of abuse characteristics, restricted to those with Canadian presence which while debated among domainers is I think a positive for consumer trust), but don't portray it as a .ca vs .com.

I like funny, but well, these come across as rather dumb to me. If you really want to go funny, not these skits but hire a skilled comedian like Rick Mercer to do a rant about being proud to be Canadian and proud to be on .ca and if we don't do it we all lose. Have no idea whether he would, but I bet one of our many skilled comedians would. Or if not get some respected Canadian musician, sports figure, etc. Maybe tie it in to the CIRA charitable program to support worthwhile groups getting online.

Go positive. Those of us who don't like them should tell CIRA.

Luckily as far as I know the ads do not air in BC!

Bob
Positive side is, a ccTLD being promoted and thats some good news. I have seen CIRA and .ca much in news, sending update emails, etc.

•••
I live in Canada and have not seen this ad ever on TV.

I'm not sure where it's being aired, but it 100% is NOT being aired on the West Coast. Is it an Internet only ad?

I wish they were showing it here on the West Coast! So funny! Almost as funny as some of the people in here mistaking the guy being crosschecked as someone being hit with a baseball bat! Like holy crap! How can you not see a difference between a hockey stick... and a baseball bat?? Or the difference between being chased by a Zamboni and a truck?

Seriously..if you can't see the difference between these things then you are certainly uninformed, probably not Canadian, definitely not one who is able to laugh at one's self and probably should not be remarking on the ad.

Some of the arguments brought up by a few of the posters are laughable! Keep 'em coming!!! Arguing that the ad promotes violence and will spur violence and damage to personal property by those who view the advertisement is priceless!!!

Currently, this has got to be my most favourite thread on Namepros!!

Keep It coming people!

PS... for all the haters, maybe do as is done in this movie and perhaps you could take over the part of Canada that houses the .Ca registry and do something about it. 😊

Last edited:
•••
Laughter is the best medicine that prolongs your life. At the expense of someone that you are laughing at.

•••
I think it's funny
Bonus if I live longer because of it 🤣

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yeah violence is promoted everywhere
evil world

it had been better in the old days
like in 1940

Yeah, you can go watching Micky mouse all day. Better than trying to promote crappy extension the wrong way :facepalm:

•••
Yeah, you can go watching Micky mouse all day. Better than trying to promote crappy extension the wrong way :facepalm:

a country level ext
is never crappy

when it comes to local traffic

and hint:
it's not Mickey Mouse...

Last edited:
•••
Like holy crap! How can you not see a difference between a hockey stick... and a baseball bat?? Or the difference between being chased by a Zamboni and a truck?

It's obviously metaphorically intended to convey the essence of the point to a world-wide audience who may not be familiar with our game of hockey. Everyone knows what a bat is, from baseball to cricket.

At the end of the day, the point's the same and not something to harp about to our American/Foreign neighbors.

•••
Laughter is the best medicine that prolongs your life.

Agreed, I just didn't find the RCMP version of the Keystone Cops to be funny at all.

•••
Agreed, I just didn't find the RCMP version of the Keystone Cops to be funny at all.

Neither did I. I see it as too sensitive of a subject.

•••

The FUN video

I also saw the humor in it.

Opposed to their ad from 3 years ago

Additional watching (presented by GoDaddy)

Edit: Walter got 45 takes at the kiss scene?! Is Walter a real GD employee? I wonder if he got paid overtime. lol.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back