IT.COM

Not cool.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Was browsing Flippa last night and came across a domain I liked. Hit the BIN button and started an Escrow.com transaction.

Woke up this morning to a message from the seller:
hSOpgdZ.png

Googled his name only to find out that he’s a domainer, runs a website for domainers, has been a speaker at NamesCon, etc. Basically: should know better.

I get it. Sometimes you list a domain and forget to update its price. It’s happened to me. But that’s on the seller, not the buyer. And in these cases, I’ve always honoured the transaction without question and quietly given myself a talking-to after.

It would also be another thing if he had let the domain expire or no longer owned it — but he does.

Honest mistake or not, responses like this really paint our industry in a negative light. In this case, I hit BIN – that’s pretty cut and dry. But also, if you’re going to negotiate with someone (as a buyer or a seller), keep your word. If we want the industry to be respected in the mainstream, it’s our responsibility to make that happen.

Anyway, getting off my soapbox now. This was my reply:

Haven’t heard anything back yet but have no qualms about naming or shaming if the seller doesn’t follow through with this transaction.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This thread really shouldn't be dragged on it has no positive outcome. The crowd shouted name so he did and perhaps both suffering from it. End of day nobody was out of pocket so all perhaps a bit unjustified. I do strongly feel BIN is a buy it now but feelings aren't solving this. Thread was pushed on by crowd and then defending actions. Sometimes the popular decision isn't right . Don't let the crowds always influence if you didn't name and discuss it 7 pages the outcome may have been different. I often see crowds wrong eg: backlinks are bad from sites owners with none. Others will agree on silly appraisals without history or real reason to speculate also. Forum is for a debate and try and right the wrongs but it really hasn't panned out this way.

Last edited:
•••
I've not read all the thread, but I've this done to me before.

As much as you are disappointed, best thing is to just move on, end of the day if the person who had a BIN doesn't own the domain anymore, they don't own it, it's as simple as that, so it’s a waste of time making demands that they send it if they can't.

I know forgetting about a listing is quite easy to do, i know I've left domains that i dropped on marketplaces, they had no BIN but I left them for sale and I'm sure many other people have too, it can happen.

Last edited:
•••
I've not read all the thread, but I've this done to me before.

As much as you are disappointed, best thing is to just move on, end of the day if the person who had a BIN doesn't own the domain anymore, they don't own it, it's as simple as that, so it’s a waste of time making demands that they send it if they can't.

I know forgetting about a listing is quite easy to do, i know I've left domains that i dropped on marketplaces, they had no BIN but I left them for sale and I'm sure many other people have too, it can happen.

I believe they still own it

•••
•••
That was an interesting read. Notice how when you posted on 2nd page that you have sent this thread's link to Mark Kychma, his shills started appearing in thread and throwing mud at you.
By the way his account has been reinstated by Flippa.

•••
I love these kind of threads.
Sorry for the OP's loss (and it was a loss), but it surely exposes the ethics of some of our members.
How anyone can defend the sellers actions are beyond me.

1k for peek.co is not an unreasonable price and should have been honored.
I would be interested in knowing what the seller thought / thinks the name is worth, because even if he had 2k in mind he should have completed the deal in order to keep his integrity.

I would be interested in knowing how other domainers would value this domain.

Peace,
Kenny

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back