Dynadot

Not cool.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Was browsing Flippa last night and came across a domain I liked. Hit the BIN button and started an Escrow.com transaction.

Woke up this morning to a message from the seller:
hSOpgdZ.png

Googled his name only to find out that he’s a domainer, runs a website for domainers, has been a speaker at NamesCon, etc. Basically: should know better.

I get it. Sometimes you list a domain and forget to update its price. It’s happened to me. But that’s on the seller, not the buyer. And in these cases, I’ve always honoured the transaction without question and quietly given myself a talking-to after.

It would also be another thing if he had let the domain expire or no longer owned it — but he does.

Honest mistake or not, responses like this really paint our industry in a negative light. In this case, I hit BIN – that’s pretty cut and dry. But also, if you’re going to negotiate with someone (as a buyer or a seller), keep your word. If we want the industry to be respected in the mainstream, it’s our responsibility to make that happen.

Anyway, getting off my soapbox now. This was my reply:

Haven’t heard anything back yet but have no qualms about naming or shaming if the seller doesn’t follow through with this transaction.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
very true, but its not going to happen.. the issue is with flippa and sedo or whatever for not banning the people...

•••
have no qualms about naming or shaming if the seller doesn’t follow through with this transaction.
Why wait?

•••
Another case of seller remorse. Had you contacted him and offered him a lower price he'd negotiate and end up lower what the bin was. He saw you pay the BIN he figures I could've gotten more.

MUCH respect to the marketplaces that make you agree to auto transfer when there is a sale. I bet they had enough of these seller remorse idiots and the solution was to grab the name once payment secured. Even with that, you have these sellers making up stories that they never agreed to auto transfer, one guy claimed the guy that owned it before him agreed.

•••
I have sold domains for less than I wanted in the past in similar situations, but I have always honored them.

You only have one reputation.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I recently sold a name for a third of its value because I did not adjust the BIN when I should have. My word is my bond.

The buyer even offered to give me 3 other names that had been hand regged by his group over the last few years. He said they would let them drop because the name they got from me was ideal for their application (I did not take them).

Looking forward to learning who this person is that wants to back out so I can avoid them.

•••
Exactly had a crypto domain that I just sold for $399 where on other sites I had listed higher forgot to update Afternic, have to honor the sale, it was not fast transfer I could have said sorry it was a mistake. You can never do that, if they speak at NamesCon definitely people should know their behavior and honor.

•••
if they speak at NamesCon definitely people should know their behavior and honor.
Definitely!!!! Otherwise another 'dicker' may be amongst us!

•••
He saw you pay the BIN he figures I could've gotten more.

Agree.

Maybe he thinks OP will be willing to pay more for the name, not cool.

•••
Been said above....you should always honour your agreement

What a d*ck...

•••
Last edited:
•••
Why are you censoring his identity lmao.

•••
Why are you censoring his identity lmao.
Honestly was on the fence on whether or not I should share his name before he had a chance to correct his behaviour (he still hasn't gotten back to me). But I'm open to it...

•••
•••
Exactly had a crypto domain that I just sold for $399 where on other sites I had listed higher forgot to update Afternic, have to honor the sale, it was not fast transfer I could have said sorry it was a mistake. You can never do that, if they speak at NamesCon definitely people should know their behavior and honor.

100% I had a sale on Afternic 2 weeks back (granted it was BIN, fast transfer) where I forgot to increase the pricing. Too bad for me. Good for the buyer.

•••
Do you think I should post it before he has a chance to correct this?
Your call. And depending on how long you're waiting for the reply. But I'm sure most don't want the suspense. No drama-rama in that!

•••
Honestly was on the fence on whether or not I should share his name before he had a chance to correct his behaviour (he still hasn't gotten back to me). But I'm open to it...

Look you want to buy a name and you should get your chance, that's more important than public curiosity, so if they make good then all is well.

If they don't then you should let people know. Again in my opinion.

•••
You guys should point fingers at flippa.com before the seller ..”his” name is not the priority

Last edited:
•••
Your first and only mistake was using Flippa lol

Sounds like you are quite ambivalent and for good reason. Oust someone isnt my style...

But i had someone once say they dont own the name when i inquired afternic. This is worse; they are rejecting to honor sale; while still own

Last edited:
•••
They should get a chance to correct their mistake, at the end of the day your best outcome I imagine would be to still get the name you're after. But I would not hesitate to shame openly if they continue to refuse. Unfortunately some folks just don't care, and there's little you can do about it.

Maybe Flippa will ban them? I had this happen on Sedo and the seller wasn't even banned.

•••
Can you tell us the domain name however ..I’m interested in what you desired to acquire lol >.>

Last edited:
•••
Well the marketplace has some blame, but they can't force someone to sell. There have been cases back in the day here where a member not caring about their rep said "I ain't selling they can close my account, I will be with a new one the next day." Or like someone once told me, "Raymond I only care about money, I don't care about anyone in the domain industry, take my account, you will never take my money!!!"

Look at people here who do not honor the sale. Some just don't care about a reputation.

Last edited:
•••
Well the marketplace has some blame, but they can't force someone to sell. There have been cases back in the day here where a member not caring about their rep said "I ain't selling they can close my account, I will be with a new one the next day." Or like someone once told me, "Raymond I only care about money, I don't care about anyone in the domain industry, take my account, you will never take my money!!!"
They have the control it’s their marketplace afterall ..so Flippa can take 10 to 100 and something dollars and we blame the seller ?
No...

•••
Give him a chance to complete the deal.

If he completes the deal in the next few days, then share the domain name, NP members who are curious can check whois info for seller's details if public.

If he doesn't complete the deal in the next few days, then share his name and the domain name

imo

•••
They have the control it’s their marketplace afterall ..so Flippa can take 10 to 100 and something dollars and we blame the seller ?
No...

Flippa has no control, they can't make you sell, they can't take a domain name out of someone's registrar account.

The minute a seller tells Flippa GO F Yourself! Flippa can only ban them. They can't force a transaction.

•••
Back