Domain Empire

No 60 day Lock

Spaceship
Watch

bytedo

Established Member
Impact
I just realised through namecheap that there is no 60 day lock on a newly transferred name if the name is being transferred back to the original registrar. I see many scenarios where this rule could be very helpful.

Is this a general rule (ICAN) or at registrars discretion?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Have you tried transferring back?

•••
•••
So if you transfer from NameCheap to GoDaddy, there is a 60 day lock. But if you then transfer it back to NameCheap, the lock goes away? Is that also true for GoDaddy-NameCheap-GoDaddy transfers?

•••
find out if you will lose the 1-year extension that was included with the first transfer

•••
So if you transfer from NameCheap to GoDaddy, there is a 60 day lock. But if you then transfer it back to NameCheap, the lock goes away? Is that also true for GoDaddy-NameCheap-GoDaddy transfers?

You know that normally a newly transferred name can not be moved to another registrar until after 60 days, but this is allowed as long as the move is back to where it was from originally. But the lock then stays as per usual rules.

As confirmed by @sdsinc it is an ICANN stipulation so should apply to all registrars. This could be crucial in some sales related scenarios.

•••
So. I'd just like to understand what you are saying. If you register a domain at NameCheap, a 60 day lock is imposed by ICANN. You cannot transfer it away until the lock is removed. After the lock is removed you transfer it to GoDaddy (or wherever) and you get a 60 day transfer lock imposed. Are you saying that if you choose to transfer it back to NameCheap after 30 days, the transfer will be allowed? But a transfer to another register has to wait the full 60days? Is this something peculiar to NameCheap, or does this apply to any registrar? I ask because I think you would have a hard time convincing GoDaddy (or any other Registrar) to waive the 60 day lock.

•••
So. I'd just like to understand what you are saying. If you register a domain at NameCheap, a 60 day lock is imposed by ICANN. You cannot transfer it away until the lock is removed. After the lock is removed you transfer it to GoDaddy (or wherever) and you get a 60 day transfer lock imposed. Are you saying that if you choose to transfer it back to NameCheap after 30 days, the transfer will be allowed? But a transfer to another register has to wait the full 60days?

Yes that's what I am saying. Well, that's what Namecheap says in one of their fine prints. Found it so intriguing myself and that was why I decided to bring it to the forums`s attention to see if others were aware of this and to ask if the rule was ICANN`s or at each registrars discretion.

I ask because I think you would have a hard time convincing GoDaddy (or any other Registrar) to waive the 60 day lock.

Hardly about what you think mate. Its about what ICANN says. Since someone commented that the rule is from ICANN and I haven't heard anything to the contrary I am assuming its a general rule.

•••
GoDaddy usually ignore ICANN most of the time, and go their own way. Since the lock is at the current registrar, you need to convince them to change the lock. Good luck with that.

•••
•••
@sdsinc - Forgive me for being obtuse, but could you please point out the relevant section?

•••
This would be:

3. Obligations of the Registrar of Record
The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:

8. A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be determined) after being transferred (apart from being transferred back to the original Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs). "Transferred" shall only mean that an inter-registrar transfer has occurred in accordance with the procedures of this policy.

•••
@sdsinc - Thanks. They may deny a request except in these specific circumstances. So this can be done, provided the transfer is back to the original registrar and, both registrars have to agree to the transfer, and/or a UDRP directs it. So I don't think this is a very common case, and you would need to convince the current registrar why they should allow the transfer back (ie in the return of a stolen domain). Without a reason, I don't see any registrar releasing their lock until the 60 days are up. This is not something which can be done, as a right, in all cases. As the OP was suggesting.

•••
Apparently, this policy can be invoked when, for example you just transferred out, then you change your mind and would like to reinstate the domain where it came from. Or the losing registrar is bending over to regain your business :)
Indeed, I don't think it's a very common occurrence.

•••
@sdsinc - Thanks. They may deny a request except in these specific circumstances. So this can be done, provided the transfer is back to the original registrar and, both registrars have to agree to the transfer, and/or a UDRP directs it. So I don't think this is a very common case, and you would need to convince the current registrar why they should allow the transfer back (ie in the return of a stolen domain). Without a reason, I don't see any registrar releasing their lock until the 60 days are up. This is not something which can be done, as a right, in all cases. As the OP was suggesting.

Arrant nonsense.
Read what I said from first post, what ICANN says and the last post above.

•••
Apparently, this policy can be invoked when, for example you just transferred out, then you change your mind and would like to reinstate the domain where it came from. Or the losing registrar is bending over to regain your business :)
Indeed, I don't think it's a very common occurrence.

So if you tell GoDaddy that you want to transfer the domain back to the original Registrar, they will release their 60 day lock without complaint, and you can pay to transfer it back again. Has anybody actually ever done this? I don't think GoDaddy are likely to be that easily convinced. But maybe I'm wrong. Remember their agreement to the transfer is at their discretion. If they deny the request, then this rule has also been applied correctly.

Last edited:
•••
I see many scenarios where this rule could be very helpful.

Please explain under what circumstances this rule could be very helpful?

•••
So if you tell GoDaddy that you want to transfer the domain back to the original Registrar,
I don't know if you need a 'valid' reason, but I know that the policy has been used to reinstate stolen domains to the original registrar. They were transfered back in a matter of days.

By the way, this is another typical US-centric rule.
60 days is a 'typical' (?) timeframe for initiating a chargeback on credit card orders. But since the terms vary a lot depending on the issuer, the rule is irrelevant anyway. But it is a convenient excuse for the registrars like GD to enforce customer retention tactics.

It applies to gTLDs, and certain ccTLDs that operate more or less in the same way, like .in .us but most ccTLDs are not subject to such a rule. So you could catch a domain today, sell it tomorrow, and the buyer could transfer to the registrar of their choice :)

Last edited:
•••
@sdsinc - You actually didn't quote the rest of that sentence, which is relevant. My contention is that if you transfer a domain to GoDaddy (or elsewhere) and you then request them to unlock the domain in order to transfer the domain back to the original registrar, their first reaction is going to be no, they cannot release the lock. They are not going to just release the lock, upon your original request. So you then go back to them quoting ICANN regulations, and they see their approval is required AND discretionary, they are probably going to also state, no they cannot release the lock, and wait for you to explain to them why you want to do this. They might also let you just wait out whatever balance of the 60 days remains, when you could then transfer the domain. I don't see what advantages this rule gives the OP, @bytedo, claimed in his posts above.

I agree, that the most probable reason for the use of this clause would be for the return of stolen domains. And that this doesn't apply to most ccTLDs.

•••
Please explain under what circumstances this rule could be very helpful?

Ok you have a name, a lady owns the .org. Yours is the king. Now you reach out to all contacts associated with her website - no reply. The lady does some amazing stuff with 3d printing which she showcases on her website and other sites and social media. You reach out to her on social media and give her the usual spiel. Asking price 1.8k
She replies she is been sponsored by some IT innovation venture organisation and they are the ones in charge of the technical side of her website and they arent interested.

She contacts you later saying she would like the name but would like to pay $400 because she would be making the payment from her own purse and you agree at 1k.
Then she says her sponsors could reimburse her but they have to have control of the domain to be able to put it through the books and also have it in their portfolio which is with Go Daddy. No problem.

Nothing from her for a weeks then the name expires and you transfer the name from Go Daddy to Namecheap for renewal. Now she comes back and says lets complete the deal. She finds the name is no more with Namecheap and gets spooked. Her people would only reimburse her if they can have the name along with their other names at Go Daddy. Now and not after 60 days. No she would not open an account at namecheap and transfer to them at Go daddy after 60 days. No her people wouldnt open an account at Namecheap.

You grab a cup of coffee, scratch your head and read the small prints on Namecheap transfers and find that Namecheap say there would be a 60 day lock on a transfer unless the name is being transferred back to the same registrar it was transferred from.

Problem solved. Name gets transferred back to GD, deal is back on and completed.

Last edited:
•••
I think you are just making a simple and clear directive as muddy and complex as you can. You made too much outlandish and wild assumptions that are out of remit of this particular clause I dont even know which one to address. Even Einstein might struggle with that task. The funny thing is there seems to be one theme which is to prove the OP wrong. Why?

For the umpteenth time, its not what you think. Its what the rules say and what the registrars say. The only proviso given by Namecheap is the name must be going back to the registrar from which it was transferred. Which is consistent with the prerogative allowed them by ICANN. So why cant you just accept that? Why must you make up a million scenarios and suppositions then pass these off as rules?

Please learn to learn. Its a mark of dignity. Just accept you have learned something new which you wouldnt have imagined possible and thank the OP or like the post.

•••
I truely have learnt something I didn't know before. But both registrars have to agree the transfer, not just one. And since the rule doesn't give any reason for giving or not giving their approval, it's at their discretion. But if the transfer was going in the other direction, I wonder if GoDaddy would be so willing to undo their lock. Because they seem paranoid about it. I repeat. What the rules say is that BOTH REGISTRARS HAVE TO APPROVE THE TRANSFER. If either registrar doesn't give their approval, the transfer would not proceed.

Your example seems to me to be a very narrow example. We now know that at least NameCheap will give their approval. So what are the other examples where you see this could be beneficial?

I have quoted you the also narrow example where GoDaddy (or another registrar), might not give their approval. I don't see why you have to use your lecturing tone with me. This is a discussion.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back