Domain Empire

new gtlds ngtlds are worse than many domainers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Galaxy Traveller

Established Member
Impact
Domainers charge one time fees and they never claim any extra fees in future.

But ngtld registries are real greedy people.

They make some keywords premium and charge extra fees like a domainer.

They are greedy enough they make renewal fees also premium and exorbitant which is more than a average site can generate revenue.

There the no fee structure and policy they can charge anything.

I afraid if a site using ngtld become smashing hit. Those greedy people probably start charging extra super exorbitant renewal fees.

There are many ngtld sites those cannot make profit enough and stopped operating due to exorbitant renewal fees and give up creativity and I also think without profit why I invest even a penny?

cctld are 1000 times better than ngtld for country based website as they are not greedy and their price is fair and even below than .com prices in many countries cctld.

But I strongly support .com, .org (most respectful tld) and .net due to their price is equal for all the domains and will not become premium for certain domain or suddenly start charging exorbitant fees.

N.B. I am a domainer also and I have some ngtld.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are many ngtld sites those cannot make profit enough and stopped operating due to exorbitant renewal fees and give up creativity and I also think without profit why I invest even a penny?

Good question. Seriously, why do you invest in ngltds if you don't profit from them?

•••
More serious question why developers invest in ngtlds if they don't profit from them? I have ultra premium domains like coupon.agency and offer.rocks etc. but no one ever tried to reach me for these domains. What does it mean. Developers losing interest to build a site using ngtlds day by day. If developers loose interest, who will going to buy those tlds? Now my only hope is if a fellow domainer will buy my domain for future profit.

•••
D
But ngtld registries are real greedy people.

They make some keywords premium and charge extra fees like a domainer.
Premium gtlds for end users not for domainers.

e.g: WWW.TECH.EXPERT has annual renewal fee of $960

Creation Date: 2016-10-14T22:30:41Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-10-14T22:30:41Z

•••
•••
I have ultra premium domains like coupon.agency and offer.rocks
.rocks gtld -is a crap sorry.
coupon.agency doesnt makes sense for me.

and yes .com is still king :)

•••
Premium gtlds for end users not for domainers.

e.g: WWW.TECH.EXPERT has annual renewal fee of $960

Creation Date: 2016-10-14T22:30:41Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-10-14T22:30:41Z
Annual renewal fee of $960 is a bad example for billion of average end users. All people cannot afford this luxury for renewal and hence only fewest sites will be developed. Few sites means few users. Few users means unknown tld. And hence I consider it is one of exception and not worth to count.

Last edited:
•••
Annual renewal fee of $960 is a bad example for billion of average end users. All people cannot afford this luxury for renewal and hence only fewest sites will be developed. Few sites means few users. Few users means unknown tld. And hence I consider it is one of exception and not worth to count.
Tech.expert is ultra Premium domain, so 960 is a bargain for that name.

•••
you can reg TheTech.Expert for $123
upload_2017-12-25_18-52-3.png

•••
I dont consider an unknown tld is real ultra premium.

•••
•••
btw I have 0 .expert domains cuz i am poor student :xf.grin:

•••
•••
•••
But we dont need those premium greedy ngtlds to make the site. Because I think if we make a site then our site can afford $960 renewal fee.
clear.png
:xf.grin:

Last edited:
•••
I would stick with Donuts domains Its safe for business.

•••
But we dont need those premium greedy ngtlds to make the site. Because I think if we make a site then our site can afford $960 renewal fee.
clear.png
:xf.grin:
We don't need ultra premium I phones either but that doesn't stop apple from making them and slowing them down after a few years to assure you buy a new one.

I say it all the time.... the .com .net .org are the best and if you can't get one of those stick to a cctld. In some cases (as in two of my businesses) I actually forward my .com to the .ca because those sites are only meant for the Canadian Marketplace.

I will gladly invest into ngtld but I probably would not build my business on one for fear the extension could go bankrupt or the owners get too greedy. For a successful business a 1k annual renewal fee is not exorbitant and it would not prevent me from using the ngtld in business but the possibility of losing the extension when a number of the new ngtld's are destined to fail makes me super cautious.

•••
"For a successful business a 1k annual renewal fee is not exorbitant and it would not prevent me from using the ngtld"

For a successful business it require more than one domain to aggressively protect brand, and I dont think a businessman unnecessary waste money with several premium ngtlds. with misspell ngtld domains and hence ngtlds are even bad for businesses (except giant businesses (for brand protection only) And except established business only ultra rare starting business will take risk with a $960 renewal domain.. Although business will suffer due to unknown ULTRA PREMIUM domains.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I have ultra premium domains like coupon.agency and offer.rocks etc. but no one ever tried to reach me for these domains. What does it mean.
It probably means you need to reassess what 'ultra premium' means! :rolleyes:

•••
It depends...
Renewal for Premiums is standard in .club/.top etc.

•••
Tech.expert is ultra Premium domain, so 960 is a bargain for that name.
TECH.PRO was sold for $25,500 in 2012...
Just for comparison...

•••
Galaxy Traveller:

- I agree that nTLDs are risky, because you never know what the registries will do with renewals in the future (or even take names away from a registrant).

- I strongly disagree about ccTLDs being better: they are just as unregulated as nTLDs.

Both are the wild west: The registries can do as they please. If they feel like increasing renewals 10 or 1000fold, no one's gonna stop them from doing so.

.COM pricing is frozen for a couple of years, .NET is restricted to a 10% increase per year. I guess these are the two safest horses out there right now.

When it comes to nTLDs your only option is to look at the (rather short) history of the registries out there. The ones that stood out making an effort with transparent pricing without bad surprises are .CLUB and Donuts/Rightside.

Last edited:
•••
I strongly disagree about ccTLDs being better: they are just as unregulated as nTLDs.

I Canada you can participate in the registry, you can sit on the bard if you are so inclined. The .ca is more common than the .com. Because all the .coms BestBuy, Apple etc are for the States the .ca is way more used. In fact some stores, including two of my own businesses forward the .com's to .ca's.

They are safe as houses and I would never swap for a nTLD to use in my business. The ccTLD is the most trusted for shopping sites in Canada and even Amazon.ca uses it.

•••
MapleDots,
strong preference towards ccTLDs applies to most (if not all) markets outside of the US. Given the long history it is indeed significantly less likely that ccTLD registries will mess with their pricing. However, they can!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back