IT.COM

guide Newbie here: How accurate or credible are domain appraisal values on online sites?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tejas3732

Impact
Hi,

I was trying to valuate a domain using an online domain appraisal calculator. They usually provide a reference of sites that were sold at XYZ numbers.

Should we take that as a base for valuing? How much should be factor in the domain appraisal values of these calculators.

I know there are lot of things to consider while valuing.

Can anyone share their thoughts on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's been said a hundred times already. Forget about automated appraisals. They are worthless.

•••
Automated appraisals can be useful to identify names that may have value. Domains with a high Godaddy or Estibot valuation might be worth looking more closely at. However, automated appraisals are not accurate as far as determining the actual fair market price for a domain.

•••
•••
•••
As above, take it with a pinch of salt.

Only reason to use them is to see similar sold domains, although there are other tools for that, and to see if it had any value at all.

Much better to compare against publically listed sold prices using namebio.com

•••
use them for fun if you have free time, but basically ALL here used one of them at least 1 per month, I believe :)

•••
use them for fun if you have free time
That's a good one!

I learned the hard way to not use them to influence which domains to renew. Agree with the above comments, and would recommend your searching NP for the extensive, multiple previous discussions about this subject.

•••
Domains are worth whatever someone is willing to pay

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back