Domain Empire

New To Domaining

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Profit Seeker

Established Member
Impact
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the whole domaining thing. Basically I bought a domain, nineouts.com, that I was planning to use for a poker blog but I no longer play poker and I'm definitely not going to be blogging about it. The domain name threeouts.com is up for over $3000 on GoDaddy. I've put mine on auction there to see how much it makes. If it sells I might try getting into the domaining arena a bit more. What tips do you all have for me as a complete beginner? This seems a lot more fun than getting crushed at poker but it still somehow feels like I could get crushed if I'm not careful. What advice do you all have for me?

Kind regards

Profit Seeker

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
•••
•••
Thanks guys. I'm so excited to have stumbled across this idea of flipping domains. I plan to spend the next few days reading lots of the posts here and bringing myself up to speed with how this whole thing works. This is definitely something I want to get now get into. Thanks for the support.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
Hello Profit Seeker .. and welcome to NamePros! :)

Best piece of advice I can give you is ...
- Don't go "All-In" right at the start! lol

Domaining is most definitely more like a poker tournament in that it really is best you take a bit of time to feel out your table and opponents the market and more importantly what makes a good domain a good domain. Even more importantly you'll also need time to figure out ideal pricing as just because a domain is good obviously does not in any way mean it's a good investment as domainer if you bought it over a certain price.

To that end there's plenty of great information all over the forums here to learn from .. I also suggest going back a couple of years and listening to some of the podcasts. Check out some of the blogs (mine's in my signature, but there are several out there)

Best of luck to you .. hope you make it to the final table of domaining! :)

Last edited:
•••
Hello!

It is easier to be the " crushee " than the " crusher " when buying and ( trying to ) sell domains.

You mentioned you are reading a lot and that is a great way to determine some of the ins and outs of domaining.

Welcome to NamePros!

•••
...If it sells I might try getting into the domaining arena a bit more. What tips do you all have for me as a complete beginner?
Welcome!

Tip #1: domaining is a numbers game, your hand can be 5 domains, or... 5,000 domains! There's no bag limit. Go figure which case has more chance to sell something :xf.smile:

Tip #2: this said, don't go all out buying "great" names that are anything but. Do your homework and you'll be fine. Coming from poker, you have skills that will come into play here, especially when negotiating sales :xf.grin:
...I plan to spend the next few days reading lots of the posts here and bringing myself up to speed with how this whole thing works...
Tip #3: plan to spend months, years to get a hang of this game!

One other thing: domaining is incredibly addictive! Once you get the bug, it's next to impossible to let go! You've been warned :dead:

Last edited:
•••
•••
Welcome @Profit Seeker - nice to have you at NamePros.

This seems a lot more fun than getting crushed at poker but it still somehow feels like I could get crushed if I'm not careful. What

You've got the right idea here. My best advice is: Read a lot, buy slowly, and be patient. The profit part of this business can take some time. Good luck in your new venture!

•••
•••
Thanks for all the advice guys. I really am trying to take it all onboard. I posted a thread in the domain appraisal section and I've acted on the feedback I got by reducing my starting bid. I'm also trying to think of some great names that are still maybe available and that I could flip for a few pounds. I'm more interested in learning how this whole process works than I am in making money at the moment. Over the coming days I'm going to be making lots of notes and asking lots of questions. I suppose the first one that comes to mind though is how much can you realistically make on average flipping domains? As a poker player I fully understand variance and random distribution, there will always be extremes but what's a realistic average?

•••
•••
•••
Hello and welcome to NamePros!:)

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back