Dynadot

New GoDaddy 2FA tools and settings great for Everyone

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Joe Styler

Aftermarket Product ManagerTop Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
We finally released an update to our 2 factor security which I know many people have been asking for. You can now add a backup besides your phone to receive the codes such as an app like Google Authenticator. You can now set the 2fa up for the whole account or just high risk transactions such as, changes to your password or PIN.

If you want all the details we have an article here https://www.godaddy.com/help/enable-two-step-verification-7502

You can go update or add 2FA by going here in your account. https://account.godaddy.com/security

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@JoeStyler, I would think it would be absolutely crucial when someone tries to transfer away a domain name illegally to another registrar to have the 2FA do the job to stop that. Basically there's no way they would have access to my cell phone (I hope anyway) for example which would make it extra secure... but I don't understand why the transferring away of the domain name which is one of the main concerns domainers have is not in the "High Risk Transaction" category.

If you could please provide some info on that.
Thanks

•••
We figured most domain investors would prefer to have their account locked down. There are too many ways that someone could do something high risk for a domain investor to balance with a non investor customer who would also use this service. Listing your domains for sale for $50, changing nameservers, updating contacts, etc etc way too many things to consider for someone with high value domains. We have to strike a balance with all our customer's needs. For what it is worth I would suggest using whole account security if you have domains for an investment. That is what I use.

•••
By the way, I wasn't saying to not leave what was in the "high risk transaction" section. I was saying to add transferring away a domain name. I understand your point also.
The reason why I'd be hesitant to put the log in one is because if I'm in a race to register a domain name when it's dropping, I would have to wait for a text to log in which can be a loss of a 10-30 seconds which would be too late. Especially in today's very competitive market.

Last edited:
•••
By the way, I wasn't saying to not leave what was in the "high risk transaction" section. I was saying to add transferring away a domain name.
The reason why I'd be hesitant to put the log in one is because if I'm in a race to register a domain name when it's dropping, I would have to wait for a text to log in which can be a loss of a 10-30 seconds which would be too late. Especially in today's very competitive market.
You can use an authenticator app instead now and not have to wait for a text to come in.

•••
I understand that most of the time our cell phones are always with us, but let's say you lost your phone / it crashed / or forgot it somewhere, the only way to access your Godaddy account would be to call the customer service line? (if your using the google authentication app for example for log-in purposes)

•••
That is what is so good about the new release. You can use apps which you do not necessarily have to have a phone for and which you can use to access without waiting for a text to come through as well as the backup option in case you lose your phone etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Authenticator

•••
Awesome! Thanks for all the detailed info & the links Joe!

•••
@Joe Styler That's a fine update. :)

Now if we could just get you guys to offer more competitive .com domain registration prices without having to pay for DDC that would be news. Your competitors have found a way to do it. I think GD is leaving a TON of money on the table. Domainers want low registration prices. With baby registrars growing in size and numbers, you guys might consider running some super specials here and there also.

Certainly your customer service and auction platform are top notch, but I think your team ought to pay a little more attention to how you compete in terms of .com registration pricing.

One other note that maybe you could help me figure out. Why is it that GD removes recently expired domains from the control panel much faster than other registrars? Other registrars will leave domains clearly in the control panel for much longer. It's something that has bothered me about GD for a while.

I read alot, but of course, I can't read everything. If the answers to my questions are already out there, please be patient with me. :)

Last edited:
•••
I agree you should do away with the DDC FEE for a least long standing clients or clients that have over 100 names. i can't even benefit from any promotions if i do have the DDC

•••
One other note that maybe you could help me figure out. Why is it that GD removes recently expired domains from the control panel much faster than other registrars? Other registrars will leave domains clearly in the control panel for much longer. It's something that has bothered me about GD for a while.

This may sound obvious (it took me a while to figure it out..), but have you tried clicking on the Domains link on the green bar (on the far left) once you are in your domain control centre? Once you click on that Domains link you can drop down to Expired Domains and see the ones that have been removed from the main (active) list. You can see if they are still recoverable or need a redemption fee to reinstate them.

•••
This may sound obvious (it took me a while to figure it out..), but have you tried clicking on the Domains link on the green bar (on the far left) once you are in your domain control centre? Once you click on that Domains link you can drop down to Expired Domains and see the ones that have been removed from the main (active) list. You can see if they are still recoverable or need a redemption fee to reinstate them.
I sort of like one list. Thanks though!

•••
Better than before but still not very practical. I would love to use the "Every Login" option but unfortunately, GoDaddy doesn't offer an option such as "Remember this device for 30 days" or something like any other 2FA offers. I visit GoDaddy website several times a day and GoDaddy ask for login every now and then.

Please offer an option such as "Remember this device" but until then I'll stick to "High risk transactions only" which I don't think is safe enough.

Thanks for trying to improve your services.

Last edited:
•••
Better than before but still not very practical. I would love to use the "Every Login" option but unfortunately, GoDaddy doesn't offer an option such as "Remember this device for 30 days" or something like any other 2FA offers. I visit GoDaddy website several times a day and GoDaddy ask for login every now and then.

Please offer an option such as "Remember this device" but until then I'll stick to "High risk transactions only" which I don't think is safe enough.

Thanks for trying to improve your services.

Sound familiar @Joe Styler ? :xf.wink:

Sent Joe a PM about this 4 days ago. Thank you for also requesting it.

If anyone else would think this an extremely useful feature to have, please kindly post. (y)

Last edited:
•••
Finally Google Authenticator is here. I like it .Great job @Joe Styler .

•••
•••
•••
@Joe Styler That's a fine update. :)

Now if we could just get you guys to offer more competitive .com domain registration prices without having to pay for DDC that would be news. Your competitors have found a way to do it. I think GD is leaving a TON of money on the table. Domainers want low registration prices. With baby registrars growing in size and numbers, you guys might consider running some super specials here and there also.

Certainly your customer service and auction platform are top notch, but I think your team ought to pay a little more attention to how you compete in terms of .com registration pricing.

I read alot, but of course, I can't read everything. If the answers to my questions are already out there, please be patient with me. :)
dynadot ,40 day grace no penalty ,godaddy regular account after 19 days 80 bucks plus reg cost ,namesilo free privacy and under nine dollars reg , for quanity lower than godaddy discount club ,and again free privacy ,good cust service , SO WHERES THE BEEF

Last edited:
•••
Wendys I think, although things may have changed. It all depends on what you want from a registrar. I appreciate the comments on pricing and will think about them seriously.

On value, what you get for your money, I think we have excellent service 24-7 and a great full service solutions for making money on domain names from the worlds largest supply of expiring names to the biggest Aftermarket for buying and selling names, as well as Afternic for selling to end users. You also get brokers that are very good to help close deals on your domains for sale that speak many local languages. Top notch security for your assets. And of course none of those other companies has me ;)

Thanks for the comments, I do take them all seriously.

•••
Love you aftermarket. And, it is a deal in my opinion for auction membership at $5 per year. I did say that in my original post. :)

•••
Wendys I think, although things may have changed. It all depends on what you want from a registrar. I appreciate the comments on pricing and will think about them seriously.

On value, what you get for your money, I think we have excellent service 24-7 and a great full service solutions for making money on domain names from the worlds largest supply of expiring names to the biggest Aftermarket for buying and selling names, as well as Afternic for selling to end users. You also get brokers that are very good to help close deals on your domains for sale that speak many local languages. Top notch security for your assets. And of course none of those other companies has me ;)

Thanks for the comments, I do take them all seriously.

Why doesn't GoDaddy have brokers?

I received an offer on GD and I wanted to talk it through with a GD broker, but then realised GD doesn't have any. Called up Afternic and asked if they would help with a GD's offer to which they said no.

I wish you had an excellent service, but there are so many holes in your systems right now. However I do appreciate you are adding functionality in all the time, but saying that you have excellent service is bit far fetched in my opinion. You still have a long way to go. Quite of few of your systems are buggy and behind in standards compared to other leading registrars.

Last edited:
•••
Why doesn't GoDaddy have brokers?

I received an offer on GD and I wanted to talk it through with a GD broker, but then realised GD doesn't have any. Called up Afternic and asked if they would help with a GD's offer to which they said no.

I wish you had an excellent service, but there are so many holes in your system right now. However I do appreciate you are adding functionality in all the time, but saying that you have excellent service is bit far fetched in my opinion. You still have a long way to go. Quite of few of your systems are buggy and behind in standards compared to other leading registrars.

Afternic does have brokers. GoDaddy has people who will help close the deal on your names on a BIN name. On offer counter offer the negotiation is in your court, but it is something I will put on my list and think more about.

•••
@Joe Styler I am receiving the following error when I clicked on "Login & Pin". I tried it on different days various times but always same error:
"For your security, you need to authenticate your account before accessing this page. Hang tight while we redirect you...
"
It redirects to the same page, enters a loop and finally stops at an error page.

•••
We finally released an update to our 2 factor security which I know many people have been asking for. You can now add a backup besides your phone to receive the codes such as an app like Google Authenticator. You can now set the 2fa up for the whole account or just high risk transactions such as, changes to your password or PIN.

If you want all the details we have an article here https://www.godaddy.com/help/enable-two-step-verification-7502

You can go update or add 2FA by going here in your account. https://account.godaddy.com/security

This is a definitely solid improvement over the mobile SMS.

Quick and painless. Good job. (y)

•••
Quite of few of your systems are buggy and behind in standards compared to other leading registrars.

Just so true with Afternic - what a buggy ride that is, Godaddy have owned it long enough now to know that and do something about it. What a timewasting PITA interface, confusing, domains that mysteriously fail to get listed and fail to tell you, daily emails telling you to list as premium when you can't till 60 days are gone, no 2FA, weak passwords, exposed usernames, repeat login failures, settings you have to submit several times and check to be sure of the result, a contact form that does not acknowledge submission when you contact support, an interface showing just 10 domains per page until you click to show yes just 50. I could go on but that is the point, I will never list more than 100 domains there because I can't face more than 2 pages of listings hell and wasting time on someone else's outdated mistakes.

Please spend the time and money to make it usable - it is another public face of Godaddy.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back