Dynadot

Network Solutions: crazy renewal cost

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Network Solutions is asking me a total of €50.78 for a domain name I own that expired just 2 days ago.

€30.15 Domain Name Renewal +
€20.63 Reinstatement Fee

Yes, the world is crazy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wow. Not such a great deal any more, if you initially got it at one of their $3 or $4 promos they normally use to lure people in.

As a side note, Godaddy lets you renew an expired domain at regular price even a week later.

I had forgot to update my email address and didn't see it until I logged into my account. I think that's the longest I let a domain I wanted to keep sit expired.

•••
Try to recover the auth code to transfer away.
If it won't let you move the domain, perhaps a coupon code will be displayed...

•••
I have a few names with NS and I just give them a call and they Usually give me a renewal fee of under $10 US
I just tell them if I cant get a under $10 I will transfer them out. Which I should do anyway, just to lazy I guess.

•••
Try to recover the auth code to transfer away.
If it won't let you move the domain, perhaps a coupon code will be displayed...

I have already obtained the auth code today and I have also wasted 8$ purchasing a transfer to GD: but NS have changed the whois email to pendigrenewalordeletion so I can't receive the 1st email from GD...

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

I have a few names with NS and I just give them a call and they Usually give me a renewal fee of under $10 US
I just tell them if I cant get a under $10 I will transfer them out. Which I should do anyway, just to lazy I guess.

I've already done this by chat, look here:

You are now chatting with 'Ray' Network Solutions.

Ray: In order to best assist you today, may I have your Name, Phone Number, and Domain/Web Address please?

you: You are asking me €50.78 for a domain that expired just 2 days ago? Is this correct?

Ray: Yes

As you can see they don't care.

•••
I have already obtained the auth code today and I have also wasted 8$ purchasing a transfer to GD: but NS have changed the whois email to pendigrenewalordeletion so I can't receive the 1st email from GD...

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

I dont know about that since its past its expiration date but I would not email or use chat, always call and talk to a live person.
And always be nice and never rude.

•••

Looks like you'll have to renew at the extortionate price or lose the name! Don't let it happen to you AGAIN! You may be able to get your $8 back from Godaddy if you phone them. Or you renew at NS and use your $8 to complete the transfer to Godaddy. Beware that Godaddy allows you only 11 days after expiry before they slap you an 'in-house redemption fee'.

Last edited:
•••
Prices are always crazy at Network Solutions ever since. So this is very normal.

•••
Look at it this way.... you messed up. Let it be a lesson learned. Do not use them in the future or use it as a learning lesson. Otherwise... let it expire and hope you can re-register it. The only surprise is you did not read the TOS.

On a flipside, I renewed expired domains that I was thinking of developing but never did, at internet.bs, and did not pay any extras.

•••
bulkdomainz said:
Looks like you'll have to renew at the extortionate price or lose the name! Don't let it happen to you AGAIN! You may be able to get your $8 back from Godaddy if you phone them. Or you renew at NS and use your $8 to complete the transfer to Godaddy. Beware that Godaddy allows you only 11 days after expiry before they slap you an 'in-house redemption fee'.

This just happened to me. GoDaddy will refer you to the previous Registrar for the refund. Apparently that's the way ICANN set it up. I had no problem about the refund from the previous Registrar.

•••
Prices are always crazy at Network Solutions ever since. So this is very normal.

Or abnormal for those who don't expect this, heh.

Kidding aside, I honestly hope other registrars don't follow suit about charging an extra fee to renew an expired domain name. I understand the sentiment behind that, albeit it's not a consumer-friendly move when other options exist.

•••
This kind of pricing defies capitalism. I don't know why anyone would pay 35 dollars on a domain, when you can pay 12 dollars (to 8 dollars) elsewhere. Unless the extra price is clearly for premium security and reliability that other competitors do not offer.

•••
This kind of pricing defies capitalism. I don't know why anyone would pay 35 dollars on a domain, when you can pay 12 dollars (to 8 dollars) elsewhere. Unless the extra price is clearly for premium security and reliability that other competitors do not offer.

The only people who will complain about it are domainers, and people who deal in mass. (or cheap high school and college students registering domains for personal use).

The fact of the matter is, Network solutions is catering towards business owners. Quite frankly, $35 versus $10 is $25 difference. To a business owner, it is a cup of starbucks, and while yes, I can save $25, what about support? Network solutions is a large corporations and I am confident they have great support, and a phone number.

If I buy a $10 domain from a registrar in Bermuda or Panama, there is no guarantee of anything.

Look, lets be real... for under $40 you can have a web presence. You can start a business for $40. Where else can you do that? You can't get a cell phone for $40 but you can setup and run an online business for $40.

And yes.... $35 to restore while it is relatively expensive.... YOU F$%$ed up but letting the domain expire, and furthermore did not inquire how much it would cost ahead of time. All the information is there, read the agreements and be responsible. This is not a big surprise or Network Solutions saying your domain is not yet expired, but we feel like charging you $1,000 to release your domain to you.

•••
Network solutions is a large corporations and I am confident they have great support, and a phone number.
You are being simplistic. Other reputable registrars offer the same service for 12 dollars a pop.

If I buy a $10 domain from a registrar in Bermuda or Panama, there is no guarantee of anything.
Don't use registrars from Bermuda or Panama. Problem solved for 12 dollars a pop.

Look, lets be real... for under $40 you can have a web presence. You can start a business for $40. Where else can you do that?
Unless you are a die-hard Network Solutions fan, there are plenty of reputable ways to get a web presence for under $40.

I'm in the end-user business, and i own more than 400 domains, i have never paid 35 dollars per domain to keep my business afloat.

•••
You are being simplistic. Other reputable registrars offer the same service for 12 dollars a pop.

Don't use registrars from Bermuda or Panama. Problem solved for 12 dollars a pop.

Unless you are a die-hard Network Solutions fan, there are plenty of reputable ways to get a web presence for under $40.

I'm in the end-user business, and i own more than 400 domains, i have never paid 35 dollars per domain to keep my business afloat.

Exactly, no person who owns 400 domains would consider a registrar that does not cater to that business.

They cater to the retail consumer and small business owners, to whom $10 or $35 is not going to make a difference if they order 1 domain.

•••
I understand the economics of the wealthy.

I just don't understand why you have to justify the added price as related to "better customer service". When in reality, other competitors offer the same quality service at a fraction of the cost.

•••
I understand the economics of the wealthy.

I just don't understand why you have to justify the added price as related to "better customer service". When in reality, other competitors offer the same quality service at a fraction of the cost.

Who knows. I don't think they have to justify it. If they thought prices were an issue, they would lower them.

An Oil change at a BMW dealer is $200.

I can get the same oil change at Walmart for $30 or I can do it myself for $15.

BMW dealers are not struggling for dealers.

If someone was changing oil 10 times a year for 50 cars, then they would care about the prices... but for someone who has 1 car... they have bigger priorities.

For someone like yourself with 400 domains x $35 a year is a lot. versus 400 domains x $10.

•••
If someone was changing oil 10 times a year for 50 cars, then they would care about the prices... but for someone who has 1 car... they have bigger priorities.
Evenif you have just 1 car, why would you pay premium from 1 dealer, when another dealer offers the same (emphasis on the "same") service quality at a fraction of the price? Just answer that specific question, and probably i can change my views about capitalism.

•••
Netsol being the original gTLD registrar they still have a lot of historical registrations. Many domain owners might realize there is competition now and balk at the cost but can't be bothered to move (first they need to figure out how - it's more complicated than just walking to another car dealership). They just pay the bill.
Register.com is also among the early registrars when Netsol lost the monopoly.

I think that in a way both registrars are leaving off their past fame.

Many discount registrars don't list phone numbers, or they hide them well. Support has to go through E-mail or their support platform. The more expensive competitors often have a toll-free number and a live chat. Yes it's the same product but I can understand that a small business prefers to deal with a registrar that seems to be at least more approachable. Yet Register.com for one is not customer-friendly, so it's a question of perception again.

•••
I never bothered to renew the domain I've had with them.

•••
One of the first things you learn about when new to IM. Just consolidate your portfolio.

•••
update

Thank you all guys for your replies. I successfully transferred that domain out of NS, here is how.

First, I was able to obtain a $8 credit from GD to spend for another order.

After checking the whois data once again at NS, I noticed that my old whois was back.
The email address was my old one instead of pendingrenewalordeletion. So I quickly decided to request a new transfer to another registrar: I succesfully received every email to make the transfer.

Now I have the domain transferred out on NS, but I really don't understand what happened exaclty. Why they initially changed the whois data, just after 2 days from the domain's expiry date? And why they changed the whois data back to the original?

Nothing is clear to me at this point. However I just wanted to share this with you, thanks again.

•••
Yes, that sounds strange, maybe they changed it after you contacted them. Regardless, glad to hear everything worked out.

•••
Yes, NetworkSolutions is not cheap compared to other registrars in today's world. Hard to believe NetworkSolutions was once at the top and was one of the most affordable registrars on the market.

•••
Network Solutions is asking me a total of €50.78 for a domain name I own that expired just 2 days ago.

€30.15 Domain Name Renewal +
€20.63 Reinstatement Fee

Yes, the world is crazy.
yes, it has always been like that. Solution (non-network :hehe:): don't let your domain expire, instead transfer it out well before the renewal date to someone cheap like godaddy

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back