Dynadot

discuss .NET Zone File drops below 15 Million

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Noticed the .NET Zone File is below 15 million domains.

87568_9c44a7759e04dfefca876517e8343475.png

Current total is 14,976,876 .NET domains in the zone file. There are 14,740,217 active domain names as of today.

Why are .NET domains dropping? What do you think this means for the future of .NET?

https://www.namepros.com/posts/6383541/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Many small businesses use .Net when the .COM they want is taken. Small businesses and developers with $XX domain budgets now have hundreds of new TLD options. That doesn't make new TLDs a good investment. It makes .alternative TLDs very difficult to sell at a price point which covers the cost of all domain renewals.

•••
Many small businesses use .Net when the .COM they want is taken. Small businesses and developers with $XX domain budgets now have hundreds of new TLD options. That doesn't make new TLDs a good investment. It makes .alternative TLDs very difficult to sell at a price point which covers the cost of all domain renewals.

Agreed

•••
•••
The US loves .com. Other countries love ccTLDs. Non-profits, open source, etc. use .org.

.net seems not as appealing. I guess it is always viewed as a 2nd choice?

Last edited:
•••
Here in Poland .net is still the 3rd/4th choice and reasonably popular.

.pl
.com
.com.pl
.net

•••
Here is my analysis

.net : domain registrations further dropped / aftermarket prices will go down since there are many extensions available to register
.com: Domain registrations will be dropped in long term and premium domain names value will be increased.

Observed while doing outbound: many end users are slowly adapting to new gtld's since there are many extension that are available to register/ limited budget.

Note: My analysis might wrong!

Last edited:
•••
•••
At the moment I'd still take an appropriate .net over a new TLD as an alternative to .com in most cases. The more I get into domaining, the more I keep seeing them in use. I think .net might yet have its day again value wise too.

Last edited:
•••
If this were true we would be seeing more usage.

https://ntldstats.com/parking/tld
new gtld's were registered by domain investors/ reserved by registries initially so all are now dropped due to premium renewals. You cannot expect 100000 registration in a day like Chinese registered random numbers but numbers will grow slowly. However, I didn't mean that all end users are opting for it but observed handful of sites that are hosted on new gtld's:happy:
That's my observation only!

•••
In old days , dot net was worth around 20℅ of its dot com equivalent.

So if dot com sold for 1000 $ you expect to sell the dot not for 200$ easily

Years after years as new extensions flooding the market , first countries codes and now anything
The 20% percent value of dot net dropped gradually to 10% then 5%
I guess we see 1% nowadays

But anyhow dot net is very stable extension with tons of businesses use it . it will not crash but it was not very profitable for investors and domainers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back